IGNORED

To Golfers Who Score in the 70s - What's Your Story?

gr8golf

I overheard a piece of advice from a guy when I lived back in NY. His name was Ted Brance. His nickname was “Stiff Hand Ted.” Anyway, his advice to most all of his students was to bow or hinge the leading wrist at impact. Stiff Hand insisted that his students do two things: 1. They should force themselves to feel the wrist being bowed at impact, 2. Play aggressively and go for it on every shot, leaving nothing in the bag.

[COLOR=000000]I overheard a piece of advice from a guy when I lived back in NY.[COLOR=000000]  [/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]His name was Ted Brance.[/COLOR][COLOR=000000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]His nickname was “Stiff Hand Ted.”[/COLOR][COLOR=000000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=000000] [/COLOR][COLOR=000000]Anyway, his advice to most all of his students was to bow or hinge the leading wrist at impact.[/COLOR][COLOR=000000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]Stiff Hand insisted that his students do two things: 1. They should force themselves to feel the wrist being bowed at impact, 2. Play aggressively and go for it on every shot, leaving nothing in the bag.[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]  [/COLOR][/COLOR]

Not sure what this has to do with the thread.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did folks here considered that some course's bunkers are just too deep, too large, too difficult to get out?   ... and some golfers who break regularly into 70's may not be a good bunker player?   I recently played with 7 HI player and every time a ball went into a bunker, it was double or worse score for him.    One size doesn't fit all IMO.

I believe you, but I have never, ever, despite playing golf with hundreds of different people, seen a single digit who was a guaranty for a double or worse from the sand.  Getting up and down like the pros is one thing, but like others have said, so long as you understand the most basic concept of green side sand play, you're gonna hit the green and be in very good shape for a two putt.

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, just the first few and last few. To hit in the 70's, keep the ball in play off the tee. Go to the range and only hit your driver until you can get it in play every time (or nearly so). For your irons, unless you're well practiced, do not "step on it" on every shot. Go down a club. You will hit it straighter because you will be more in sync. Nothing wrong with 3/4 swings that hit the green. Work on your pitching and chipping. It's free, You should be able to get it on the green virtually every time. Hopefully within one putt range on straight forward ones. Practice the hideous lies so you can still get on the green Take a few minutes to practice sand shots. Not a very good putter but I seldom 3 putt, but don't really make any putts either.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

[COLOR=000000]I overheard a piece of advice from a guy when I lived back in NY.[COLOR=000000]  [/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]His name was Ted Brance.[/COLOR][COLOR=000000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]His nickname was “Stiff Hand Ted.”[/COLOR][COLOR=000000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=000000] [/COLOR][COLOR=000000]Anyway, his advice to most all of his students was to bow or hinge the leading wrist at impact.[/COLOR][COLOR=000000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]Stiff Hand insisted that his students do two things: 1. They should force themselves to feel the wrist being bowed at impact, 2. Play aggressively and go for it on every shot, leaving nothing in the bag.[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]  [/COLOR][/COLOR]

or you could club up and hit smoother. Same face angle.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I never really improved in scoring until I took some lessons.  I was full of misinformation on the golf swing.  Even my grip was wrong.  Mental mistakes are costly.  I have for the most part quit trying high risk shots.

Please don't say..................... "I shot a XX" without a little course info, because a number by itself is meaningless.   I assume a 62CR if course information isn't disclosed.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Please don't say..................... [U] "I shot a XX" [/U]without a little course info, because a number by itself is meaningless.   I assume a 62CR if course information isn't disclosed.

How did you know the Par 54 Executive Course where I shot XX has a 62CR?! ;)

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Please don't say..................... "I shot a XX" without a little course info, because a number by itself is meaningless.   I assume a 62CR if course information isn't disclosed.

What parameters are required for a score, course rating and slope in order to receive your personal imprimatur?

Brian Kuehn

[QUOTE name="BuckeyeNut" url="/t/60861/to-golfers-who-score-in-the-70s-whats-your-story/180#post_1112638"]   Please don't say..................... [U] "I shot a XX" [/U]without a little course info, because a number by itself is meaningless.   I assume a 62CR if course information isn't disclosed. [/QUOTE] What parameters are required for a score, course rating and slope in order to receive your personal imprimatur?

Well, it seems like score without CR doesn't mean a lot. For example, 6000 yards is a lot easier than 6800 yards. If someone states a score without a rating you need to figure out what it means based on their HC, if it's correct.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Well, it seems like score without CR doesn't mean a lot. For example, 6000 yards is a lot easier than 6800 yards. If someone states a score without a rating you need to figure out what it means based on their HC, if it's correct.

It depends on why one is posting a message about one's score.  If someone wants everyone at TST to evaluate their round and pass judgment, then yes, the course rating, slope, 30 mph breeze, 14 stimp greens, miracle hole outs, etc ...are required.  Then TST can decide if the score is worthy of approval.

If, on the other hand, someone is just joyously happy for achieving a personal best (albeit tainted by a rating under 70.0 or a slope closer to 1.00 than 1.50), then I am okay with the poster leaving out any details he/she wants.  He shot 78 - good for him.  I am happy too.  I don't care if the course was 5,000 yards or 8,000.  He's happy and I am happy for him.

If someone want wants to start a thread, "My score is more meaningful than your score", then by all means, list all the factors.

• Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

It depends on why one is posting a message about one's score.  If someone wants everyone at TST to evaluate their round and pass judgment, then yes, the course rating, slope, 30 mph breeze, 14 stimp greens, miracle hole outs, etc ...are required.  Then TST can decide if the score is worthy of approval.

If, on the other hand, someone is just joyously happy for achieving a personal best (albeit tainted by a rating under 70.0 or a slope closer to 1.00 than 1.50), then I am okay with the poster leaving out any details he/she wants.  He shot 78 - good for him.  I am happy too.  I don't care if the course was 5,000 yards or 8,000.  He's happy and I am happy for him.

If someone want wants to start a thread, "My score is more meaningful than your score", then by all means, list all the factors.

So now were turning into an Elite Golf Forum.  If you play a course that doesn't top 71/135 you need not apply for membership.  What a bunch of hooey! :mad:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator

So now were turning into an Elite Golf Forum.  If you play a course that doesn't top 71/135 you need not apply for membership.  What a bunch of hooey!

I think you misread his post.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

So now were turning into an Elite Golf Forum.  If you play a course that doesn't top 71/135 you need not apply for membership.  What a bunch of hooey!

I think you misread his post.

No, he basically says that my scores in the 70s are irrelevant since most of  them were made on a 6500 yard course with a 69.4/120 rating.  And obviously some others have chosen to agree with him.  I see such a  statement as elitist.  He minimalizes what I see as one of my golfing achievements, something I'm quite proud of as a long time 10+ handicapper.  It would be different if it was done on an executive  or par 3 course, but it was done on a par 72 course with no par 4 hole shorter than 343 yards.  My PB was made on that course in 1989 without the benefit of clown sized drivers, hybrids, or adjustable clubs.  It was made from tees I was assigned to play and it was made in the 3rd round of the club championship.  It's not like I took the easy way out because I was trying to spoof someone.

I can be congratulatory to a 25 handicapper who speaks excitedly of his accomplishment of breaking 90 without having to qualify it with additional statistics.  I feel that anyone who needs those qualifiers is showing his elitism.  He doesn't seem to feel the need to denigrate guys breaking 80 now while using the latest technology (as long as they play a tough enough course to satisfy him), a feat that I might say is no more difficult than what I did in shooting a 73, 26 years ago.  I just don't understand putting down someone's achievements just because they don't measure up to a yardstick you have set for yourself.

I have never, and will never, play a course or tee set that meets the rating he considers difficult enough to qualify.  I've never been long enough, nor a good enough player to enjoy that sort of self flagellation, and now I'm too old to even consider it.

Rick

• Administrator

No, he basically says that my scores in the 70s are irrelevant since most of  them were made on a 6500 yard course with a 69.4/120 rating.

No, he didn't.

Furthermore, go back and read post #190 .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm not trying to minimize any score as some are trying to suggest.  Please share a CR because this is the "True Par" of any course.   A score without a qualifier has no meaning because we all play different courses, but a CR at least shows the true par of any course to set as a benchmark.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I'm not trying to minimize any score as some are trying to suggest.  Please share a CR because this is the "True Par" of any course.   A score without a qualifier has no meaning because we all play different courses, but a CR at least shows the true par of any course to set as a benchmark.

Course rating is "Par" for a scratch golfer , nothing more.  It's what a scratch golfer is expected to average, not what a 10 or 15 or higher handicap is expected to use for a target score.  Unless you are a scratch golfer, it only has relevance for handicap calculation.  Par is par is par.

I could get behind your take on it if the player was on a course with 5 or 6 "par 4" holes around 300 yards or shorter, and par 5's in 430 to 450 range, but that is not the typical par 72 course that I'm familiar with.  The course I played most of my best golf on had a full range from 343 to 430 for par 4 holes, 120 to 170 for par 3, and 494 to 520 for par 5, and those are all middle tee yardages.

Slope rating is a better mark for comparison for a higher handicap, and even then the average or mean is 113.  It doesn't have to be in the 130's or higher to have significance.

Rick