IGNORED

To Golfers Who Score in the 70s - What's Your Story?

gr8golf

...............any tee-green disadvantaged player should be able to score in the 70s with any short-game skills.

Fairways in Regulation?  Why bother!!  Keep it in play and and avoid penalties from the tee is a priority......give yourself an approach to the green and this is enough.

Greens in regulation?   not really necessary either, though it certainly helps!!!   I'm just a hack, but I know I've carded as low to mid/70s scores only hitting 3-4GIR.

Chipping and putting:  YES...please learn to do this.  Hack it up somewhere on or around the greens in regulation....and expect to chip/pitch to 1 putt for pars and birdies.  Bogey is worst case scenario..........(no wasted flubbed doubles from just off the green)  Add it all up, and the final number should start with a "7".

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I rarely hit fairways (30% or so right now - equal misses on both sides - I'm working on it) and I have no trouble making pars often without "getting lucky."

I'm with you, I played yesterday hit 5 of 14 Fairways, 8 greens, no birdies and shot 39-39-78. Now when I hit the Fairway it improved my chances of hitting the green, as I hit 4 out of 5 from the Fairway and I also hit 2 of the 4 par 3's but I wouldn't call my pars from missing the fairway lucky.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

1.  Always choose accuracy over distance.

2. Always use one more club than you think.

3.  Always aim for the open part of the green.

These 3 rules allowed me to reduce my mistakes and score in the 70's consistently.  That was 30 years ago and due to a back injury I quit golf for 20 years.  Now, in my old age, I've taken the game up again and have reduced my handicap from 29 to 11 this year.  I've had 3 rounds in the high 70's and I'm confident I'll be scoring many 70's next summer.

Follow the rules.

Later

John

Macgregor Tourney Driver, 5w, 3-4H, 5-PW, 52-58W

Heriko 14 degree Driver (Tee and Turf)

Odyssey Big-T Putter

I do it a little differently.  I hit a fair percentage of fairways.  Between 8 -12 per round.  I hit a high percentage of greens.  Usually in double digits.  The strongest part of my game is my short game (pitch, chip, sand) except putting.  If I can ever get my putting down I should be able to get into the 60's somewhat regularly.  My last round was a 73 with four 3 putts.  Argh!

My basic approach is to keep the ball in play off the tee.  Avoid penalties at all costs.  I don't take risks really.  Most par 5's are 3 shot holes even though I can hit a pretty long ball.  Layup and wedge and avoid the risks unless the green is safe.  When I was younger, I would swing the driver as hard as I could.  I had a lot of drives in the 320 - 350 range.  However, I grew tired of all the lost balls and penalties.  Now I'm happy with the 250 - 275 that is mostly in play.  That brings most par 4's into play with a mid to short iron.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I've only done it a couple times ... and the common thread was I had exceptionally good putting days - solid lag putting & making EVERYTHING from 3.5 ft and in (which I hardly ever do).

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

GIR.  Nothing to it.  If I can keep GIR to a double digit (and avoid stupid penalties off the tee, of course), I'm golden to shoot mid 70's.  If I can keep GIR from 7-10, then I'll have a chance to shoot high 70's.

On 11/5/2015, 9:02:51, JBailey said:

2. Always use one more club than you think.

3.  Always aim for the open part of the green.

These 3 rules allowed me to reduce my mistakes and score in the 70's consistently.  That was 30 years ago and due to a back injury I quit golf for 20 years.  Now, in my old age, I've taken the game up again and have reduced my handicap from 29 to 11 this year.  I've had 3 rounds in the high 70's and I'm confident I'll be scoring many 70's next summer.

Follow the rules.

Later

John

I would add a caveat to #1, that is only if there is trouble (e.g., hazard, OB, etc.).  Otherwise, I would choose distance over accuracy.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

2 hours ago, Yukari said:

GIR.  Nothing to it.  If I can keep GIR to a double digit (and avoid stupid penalties off the tee, of course), I'm golden to shoot mid 70's.  If I can keep GIR from 7-10, then I'll have a chance to shoot high 70's.

I would add a caveat to #1, that is only if there is trouble (e.g., hazard, OB, etc.).  Otherwise, I would choose distance over accuracy.

I would agree, except I play very few holes that have no "trouble" on the drive. 

Odyssey Big-T Putter

On 11/5/2015, 8:02:51, JBailey said:

Depends on what you mean by accuracy.

- I'd rather be 120 yards from the green in the light rough than 140 in the fairway.

- On par 5 you can't reach in two, hit a fairway wood and get as close as you can (assuming there isn't a lot of trouble short of the green). Better to be 30-40 short of the green than to lay up to a "comfortable" yardage. Distance is important, "the strongest correlation to the distance your ball finishes from the hole is how far away it was before you hit it."

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

3 hours ago, mvmac said:

Depends on what you mean by accuracy.

- I'd rather be 120 yards from the green in the light rough than 140 in the fairway.

- On par 5 you can't reach in two, hit a fairway wood and get as close as you can (assuming there isn't a lot of trouble short of the green). Better to be 30-40 short of the green than to lay up to a "comfortable" yardage. Distance is important, "the strongest correlation to the distance your ball finishes from the hole is how far away it was before you hit it."

What I mean by accuracy is playing away from trouble.  30 years ago, when I was able to hit the ball a long way, I kept track of my shots and pars, bogeys, etc.  I was averaging 12 pars a round, but routinely getting in enough trouble due to lack of accuracy, to add enough double bogeys to put me over 80.  Some would say I started playing safe.  I would say I started playing smart.  By eliminating, almost, all double and triple bogeys, I was able to play in the 70's almost all the time.

30 years later at the age of 65, and after a 20 year absence from golf because of a back operation, my best drive is only 240 yards.  So, I have no way of reaching par 5's in two, or, reaching long par 4's with a short iron.  For me, and I don't pretend all should follow my lead, accuracy (meaning playing away from trouble) is the only way I'll be able to play in the 70's.  It may not be the best way to get really low scores, but I still think it's the best way to break into, and stay playing in the 70's.

Later,

John

Odyssey Big-T Putter

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i started golf at 13 about a year and half ago. I learned from my uncle in Australia well not really learned as he took me one time and i fell in love. He never taught me about the swing or anything. I come back to Canada and i told my dad how fun golf is. My other uncle had a old set of irons because he was a realtor and he found them in a house. I started playing in the field in my back yard a nd i learned from there. Flash forward a year and a half and i am now a 4 handicapper that shoots in the mid seventies. I would say the short game has really helped me progress my game and the mental part of the game could really determine wither your a 10 handicapper of plus 1 handicapper. 

1) How long did it take to break 70? If it took you 2 years, was that 2 years from the first time you picked up a golf club, or did you just play around for the first year and then take the second year seriously?

I scored in the 70s after a year or so of playing 'seriously'.  I had played a little golf in a sporadic way before then but breaking 100 was a 'good day'!  Had a purple patch of scoring regularly in that zone and then one very bad round in a comp really knocked my, perhaps, over inflated confidence!  I now score in the 76 - 84 range (average score is 79)

2) What methods did you follow? Did you pick and choose from different instructors, books, DVDs, or even just watching tips on the golf channel? Did you follow a single set method/book/DVD/instructor and follow it like it was your bible?

Had some lessons, watched lots of 'You Tube' coaching (selecting what may be useful to me and then 'playing' with it) and most helpfully, played a lot!  I have been lucky to be able to play at least twice a week these last two years - that has helped enormously.  Lessons were useful, but to me, understanding your own swing and knowing why you hit certain shots is the key.  You can then self-correct when things are going wrong or at least identify the pattern and change shot selection/club as needed.

3) What does it take to score in the 70s consistently (in your opinion of course)? A consistent swing? A good mental game? 70% mechanics 30% mental? Please share.

I think having a repeatable swing/motion, and one you can repeat under pressure is key.  Doesn't have to be a 'textbook' swing but I think repeatable is key!  I play with a natural draw and some days it is more like a hook (very infrequently I will have a slight fade or push).  Knowing this, and seeing how I am swinging on the range before hand, will affect how I play on the day.  I don't try to change my swing to be 'perfect' but have learned to accept what I have on the day and go with it.  The mental side is also massive - Keeping cool after a bad shot/decision is vital (they will pop up from time to time!).  Doubles are what kill my rounds so keeping the ball in play is a must and having a steady short game is also helpful.  (the better players I see are always very good in this area- especially putting)

Can you par all the holes (or most) on your course?  If yes then you only have to make 9 -10 and can bogey the other holes.  Chuck a couple of birdies in there and there you go :) Easy, eh? ;) lol

• 3 weeks later...

Ive played golf for 5 years now started in my first year at varsity. Played around once every two months for the first 4 years and slowly building up equipment. Started playing seriously the last 8 months, practice and play around 3-4 times a week. Started consistently playing in the high seventies in the 4th month. Here are my keys to achieving that:

1. Consistent driving, hitting at least 8/14 fairways.

2. GIR: Hitting at least 6 GIR's.

3. Most important thing: Watched tonnes of videos on the swing and worked very hard on the range at takeaway drills, rotation and making a commited swing every time.

4.After getting frustrated with struggling to consistently make a good swing I sat down and had a good look at what my swing flaws were, tried to correct it and after a while I found all the work had paid of and I could only have one swing thought and swing away positively. The only thought I have is to take the club away straight and low from there I rotate around my spine and make sure to swing through up to the picture perfect pose.

5. Confidence and Trust (Mental Game): After finding and feeling what I should do with the full swing I found that confidence and trust in doing what you know is correct will give you good results most of the time. I developed the attitude on the course that I was going to hit that target and focused everything on that target. Whenever I had doubt whether it be my takeaway, the yardage or the lie I stepped away and told myself that you know you can do it now believe it. If I doubted a swing more often than not I would not pull it off.

6. Going lower seventies to scratch: I believe my long game at the moment is nearly there, but the short game that needs work includes: Getting it within 6 feet from 30-100 yards 50-70% of the time, this will ensure a par save on a wayward drive and birdies on the short par 4's and par 5's. Putting: The aim is to hole more putts from 5m in. Chipping and bunker play: Get up and down 60 % of the time should do it.

I sucked up my pride and realized my self made swing wasn't good enough.  I played college hockey in the US and our assistant coach also coached the golf team.  After the hockey season I reached out to him to see if he would help me develop a more consistent swing.  After about 6 weekly sessions I noticed a change and the improvement sped up rapidly.  I was able to take those fundamentals that I learned through my coach and applied them to all of my practice sessions.

I also have found that playing with really good players will help you improve.  Just watching their shot preparation and how they approach each hole was really eye opening for me.

• Upvote 1

Remember, to shoot in the 70's you do not need to play perfect golf. On the average course, breaking 80 means shooting between +7 and +9. That means you can still make your share of misses and still achieve your goal. For the most part, if my score is in the 70's I am happy with my round, and if I creep into the 80's I am disappointed. On the days where I am over 80, it's often because I didn't hit the fairway often enough from the tee. Golf is an incredibly difficult game when you are playing out of the muck, be it out of the trees or heavy rough or (even worse) the hazards. If you are able to consistently keep the ball in play with your driver, your chances of a good score increase tenfold. Also, if you are hoping to break 80 you will need to have good touch around the greens. Doesn't mean you need to get the ball up and down every time, or make every 6 footer that you look at. You just need to be able to 2 putt consistently and find ways to scrounge out some pars if you do miss the green with your approach. I think the toughest part about breaking 80 is the mental barrier associated with the number itself. Every low handicapper has their own personal story about how they were well on their way to breaking 80 for the first time and found a way to screw it up (ie. "I doubled the last hole and shot 81"). If you are putting yourself in that position, you definitely have the skills to break 80 but it can be a tough hurdle in a golfer's development. And when you finally do break 80, it's a huge feather in your cap!

• Upvote 1

Over half of my 20 handicap scores are usually in the 70s, so I guess I'm eligible for this thread. 

Got the golf bug as a kid, but was a baseball player, and not all that good at golf.  Took a job at an executive length course in HS / College, and got to golf free as a perk.  Out of the many rounds I played at this executive length course, I think only 1 was in the 70s.  Never played on my HS team.  Shot my first "championship length" course round in the 70s as a senior in college.  Moved to Arizona after college and golfed at least once a week, and started to improve and get more consistent, dropping my handicap into high single digits.  Moved away from Arizona, got married, had kids, and didn't play as much and the game dropped off.  Moved again to northern Minnesota and joined the local club here and got re-hooked on the game.  Over the past 8 or so years, I've gotten to play a lot more, and my handicap quickly crept down to the 3-6 range.  It's probably been in this range for the past 7 years.  I really only get to play here mid April through mid October, and some bad swings revert back every spring and it takes a few months to train them away. 

My game is pretty boring.  Keep the ball in play off the tee.  Put the approach on or near the green and try to make par.  Probably 250-270 with the driver, teed fairly low to aid in control.  I tee everything low and don't try to hit anything on the upswing.  Driver is 11.5 or 12 degrees of loft to help it get in the air.  Don't make all that many birdies.  I don't think I've ever made more than 5 or 6 in a round.  I used to make more eagles when I was younger and not as good, but over the past decade, I've probably only had 2 or 3 eagles.  I'm sure there are plenty of flaws in my swing, as I've never taken a lesson, and I haven't even videoed my swing in the past 20 years. 

John

• 11 months later...

I have been playing golf for 21 years, but 3 years ago, I found Rotary Swing Tour and Chuck Quinton.  I have been a single digit index for the last 3 years.  I was around a 14 index when I found RST.  I just recently shot one under par 71 at Silverado North course.  I only know about 5% of what RST has to offer, so I have a lot still to incorporate into my swing and playing.  I am 67 years old and because of RST; I hit the ball about 20 yards farther than I ever did.  I think there is a lot of room to even gain a lot more yardage still.  Of course distance is no good with out accuracy.  My 3 years of single digits speaks to that and the milestone of shooting under par is a bucket list item for all golfers ( I would think?).  The simple answer is learn RST.

Edited by Caleb Hoshiyama
spelling