IGNORED

My Swing (Jetfan1983)

JetFan1983

Hang in there.. I have a suggestion and it has worked for me a little bit.

Take 2 alignment stickers and have them point 45* from your target line and the ball in the middle of the two.. Then starting with just slow swings, chip shots get the club going back and fourth along that path. Then hit a ball until you start getting the ball to draw back..

When you go to hit the ball the club is coming across as you can see, that's why maybe with the above drill you can start ingraining the our path without having to think about laying the shaft down on the downswing..

Take it for what it's worth, just my experience.

Thanks, Eyad. Appreciate the help here.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Hips slide back (not set forward much at setup either), right foot rolls ever so slightly, tough to go "downhill" when you have no axis tilt and your right hip is barely higher.

Easier to stop the club from tipping out when you turn your hips in place or even slightly forward. Create a gap on the trail hip, not the front hip.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ack. Obviously it's really, really hard to tell on the camera if I'm doing it or not. Small LCD screen, bright sun, and this is very difficult to see without being able to draw lines. I thought I was doing it, but I guess I wasn't. I was hitting it better today though. Less shitty anyway. It does look different though, just not exactly what we want. DTL still sucks haha, but otherwise, face-on I thought looked better on the backswing. I can still do it more though, looking at it now blown up on the computer.

Gross DTL obviously, but not worrying about that.

It obviously felt like I was doing it and the results were better, mostly with driver, but I'll just do it more. Still, I think it does look slightly better. Backswing from FO looks pretty decent to me, just in general. I'll keep at it. Thanks, Erik.

Constantine

• Administrator

With the driver, fix your setup.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Some video from the past couple days. Some improvement, but not there yet. Not sure how much improvement this is though… a lot? A little?

Yesterday:

And then today:

Driver setup better? I think it is, but could be wrong.

And then here's what this looks like from DTL:

Anyway, contact has been pretty iffy, but I believe in this change, so I'll just keep doing it. Oddly, the hips are still sliding back even though at A4 I seem to recover from it:

I'll keep at it. Definitely muuuuch less slice curve going on right now. But I'm having a really hard time finding the sweet spot. Mostly toe strikes, but again, I'm not being results oriented here as far as contact and ball flight goes. I just want the picture to change. It does appear to be changing, just not all there yet.

Anyway, I 100% appreciate the assistance from the professionals here.

Constantine

• Administrator

To be honest I think you should pair this with the "not losing your hip slant" thing from earlier.

You keep flexing both knees, the hips lose their tilt, and you drop your head, so then you have to "give yourself room" on the downswing.

Nah, it doesn't feel powerful. It feels awkward because I'm changing the hip thing. If anything it feels like I'm straining my left hip.

The head moving forward thing is tough to fix just on its own. So do I stop focusing on the hips moving back now? I need to learn how to keep my head stable on the downswing because when I feel like my head tips back my left shoulder just gets really high and my arms don't come down enough. I'm not sure how to fix that and what I should focus on right now.

I always thought my head moved up because I was so steep and out with the arms and stuff and had to move my head up to get out of the way of that. Guess not.

What's the priority piece here? I'm confused. Straighten my back leg even more?

Constantine

• Administrator
Nah, it doesn't feel powerful. It feels awkward because I'm changing the hip thing. If anything it feels like I'm straining my left hip.

That's odd. Straining your left hip?

The head moving forward thing is tough to fix just on its own. So do I stop focusing on the hips moving back now?

No. Your head goes forward because your hips go back.

I always thought my head moved up because I was so steep and out with the arms and stuff and had to move my head up to get out of the way of that. Guess not.

It's because you compress so much on the downswing.

No.

They're the same thing. Turn your hips on their slant in place. Don't let them sag or go back.

Change the picture. Make your hips go forward while your head stays up on the backswing. Let's see that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

That's odd. Straining your left hip?

Yea who knows why. Just feels awkward. I'll keep doing it though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

No.

They're the same thing. Turn your hips on their slant in place. Don't let them sag or go back.

Change the picture. Make your hips go forward while your head stays up on the backswing. Let's see that.

Alright. Will do. Thanks.

Constantine

• Administrator

This stuff is much easier to see and do and fix in person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

This stuff is much easier to see and do and fix in person.

Haha, yea, I'm sure. Soon enough!

For now though, I'll do my very best with this tomorrow at the range. Hopefully I can display that I can pull this off and change the picture correctly haha. Thanks again.

Constantine

Alright, baby steps here, but I was hitting the ball significantly more solidly today, particularly with driver, where I regained the distance I had lost over the past 1-2 months. I was hitting it like 220 for the second half of this summer, which obviously made the game muuuuuuch harder. Today I hit a couple that went 270, and I think I hit one that went 290ish. Absolutely huge, and wow is the game a whole lot easier with a wedge in your hand.

Here's video from today, which is funny because my flip appears to be much worse, but for some reason, I was hitting it much more solidly. Again, this is only the first day working on stopping my head from dipping. This will take a while to ingrain, but I'm excited right now. Just felt good to not have hybrid in my hands for my par 4 approaches haha.

Played a practice round today, which I know we frown upon at times, but I really just felt like practicing on the course after spending about 30 minutes on the range. I haven't played a round since that 75 I shot on July 31st, and was getting really ****ing bored doing drills on the range, so I thought I'll just try to work on this while playing holes. I wasn't being results oriented, and this type of practice isn't as good as the five Ss on the range, but I wanted to have a little bit of fun today, so oh well. I'll stick to the range tomorrow.

Anyway, looking back on it now, I was barely doing it, if at all. But I did hit the ball better… Looks like I got a lot of work on my hands, as per usual.

Here are three pitching wedges. Not sure why I'm posting all three, but oh well. Head goes forward on the downswing more than others though. Jeez, lots of lack of steady head going on here.

Here are two real time videos of me working with a six iron. In the second video, after the second ball, you can see me really trying to exaggerate this stuff. Looks like I wasn't staying as "level" as I felt like I was either. Crazy though how reducing the backswing head dip just marginally resulted in better contact today though.

And lastly, here's a driver. Again, I was hitting this club so much farther today. I still had major slice issues of course, but the good ones were really good, so there's that I can hang my hat on. It looks like I'm doing all this stuff at like 10% success, which sucks, so I'll just have to keep exaggerating it until I actually do it huh?

I swung extra slow today while practicing on the course, and the ball still went like 60-70 yards farther with driver. I guess with a more level head (less dip anyway), I was finding the sweet spot more and impact conditions (AoA, etc.) were much better. The good thing too was I hit it significantly less of the toe with all my clubs, which is something I was doing seemingly every single time for the past two weeks.

I'll keep at it. Back to the range I go tomorrow.

Constantine

Some decent work today at the range, at least as far as the Five Ss go. Slightly better hip and head stabilization on the backswing. Baby steps.

Fun fact: that bucket of balls next to me is the same one from yesterday. Just took it home with me because I only got through like twenty balls yesterday, and the same today.

• Upvote 1

Constantine

Nice. Wish I could do Key 1 and 2 as well as that. They let you take the bucket home?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Nice. Wish I could do Key 1 and 2 as well as that. They let you take the bucket home?

No, he stole it.

Just like he's trying to steal Amanda away from Tiger.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Wassup, Steve?! Hey, thanks, man. Encouragement is always appreciated. Yea, it's a fairly tough combo-piece. But I just realized the order I should think about this stuff is: 1) hips forward 2) head upwards. Just noticed that the hips move right away, but the head doesn't move downward until the very end of the backswing. Gotta credit that darn @mvmac with that one for his new thread:

Made me think about what actually should start my thought process when practicing given my tendencies.

Haha, as far as taking the bucket home with me… I basically live across the street from this course, and the employees don't mind if I take it with me because I'm there so often (I asked). Also, they're floater balls, so you can't really play with them anyway. I mean, I guess one could, but they fly significantly shorter than a real ball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

No, he stole it.

Just like he's trying to steal Amanda away from Tiger.

She just hung out with him a few times to make me jealous. Sad, really. Most of the time I don't even respond when she drunk texts me at 1am.

Constantine

This is still a major work in progress in terms of what the hell my head is doing, but I seem to have found a feel that stabilizes my hips on the backswing. I'm basically just trying to feel like my hips are sliding forward throughout the entire backswing, and that gets them to stay in place. Head movement is another story, but over time, I should be able to control that better on both the back and downswing. Baby steps continue.

Seems to be improving.

Constantine