IGNORED

Wedges: Why do so many bag a 52*, 56*, 60*?

Note: This thread is 3326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by inthehole

I'm experimenting with a 64 lately for short sided shots greenside - with the hardpan fairways, can't open up my 58 to get a proper lob, so the 64 straight on seems to work better for these delicate finesse shots.

That's one approach. I'm currently experimenting with developing the good sense to forget the pin and aim for the middle of the green in these situations. :-)

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

• 2 weeks later...

Currently I am at 47*, 56*, 60*.  I just ordered new irons (i20s) and am going to have 45.5*, 50*, 54.5*, 59*  such that I have 4.5* gaps straight through from 9 iron on down.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser

I'm in the market for a wedge set and I'm just wondering why the 52, 56, 60 degree seem to be so much more popular of a combo?

Since so many PW's loft right at or around 45* it seems to me that a 50*, 54*, 58* would be the right combo...no?

I'm now playing a G15 set of irons so my PW is 45*....am I missing something here?

I carry 44*, 49*, 56*, and 60*. Most iron set they sell now has 44-45 PW and 49-50 AW. So you wont find many "wedge sets" starting with a 50*

DRIVER: - 910 D3  8.5° / blk Ops stiff shaft

3 Wood:  -  913 Fd  15°

HYBRID:- :ping: -  G25 3H 20°

IRONS:  - 712 AP2, 4-7 : 714 CB - 8-PW

WEDGES - - Vokeys SM4 - 52°-GW, 56°-SW, 60°-Lob

BALLS:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

PUTTER: -  - Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0

Originally Posted by inthehole

my sentiments exactly - it's like treating the long pitch shot as a lofted lag putt - hate that.     Airmail for me with my 53 all day every day for those shots...

I'm experimenting with a 64 lately for short sided shots greenside - with the hardpan fairways, can't open up my 58 to get a proper lob, so the 64 straight on seems to work better for these delicate finesse shots.

I have a 62 for courses with postage stamp greens - the problem is I haven't spent enough time with the 62 to use it!

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I have a 62 for courses with postage stamp greens - the problem is I haven't spent enough time with the 62 to use it!

That's the problem I have with my current 60.  I put it back in the bag for a course that I play often with fast small greens that I could never hold.  But, no practice = I would still be better off without it!

I pulled out my 5 wood to put in a 52* wedge. I felt the need to fill in the distance gap between my PW and my 56* wedge so that's why I made the move. But after thinking about it, I use the 52* just about as much as I use the 5 wood - rarely.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Personally, I play a 46* PW, a 54* and a 60*. Yeah the gaps are a bit large, but I'm fine with them. I have the option of dropping my hybrid or 3 wood for a 46/51/56/60 combo, but I prefer the fewer wedges. The only other combo of wedges that I'm considering is dropping the 54/60 in favor of a 52/58 (and possibly a 62-64)

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

52, 56, 60 - corny I know, at least based on some of the posts here.  Came with the set and I didn't know any better.  I need to change my sig line I guess.

My problem with the 60 is not so much blading it (tho' it happens of course) as it is undercutting the ball so that it barely moves, i.e. it just pops up a few inches to a foot or so.  You have to be very careful about the lie when using this club - too soft of a lie (ball perched up on top of fluffy grass) can really ruin the shot, it's almost a whiff.  But I've decided to add the 60 because I'm more focused on my chipping and pitching these days and am practicing with the wedges around the green more.

Maybe I'm getting desperate ....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

49* , 54* , 60* The 49* is part of my jpx 800 irons set. The 54* and 60* are ping tour wedges. For me...I never understood the need for 3 traditional wedges. I can hit any creative shot from 100 yards in with a 54 or 60 wedge. I can't think of any scenario that I would need to hit my gap wedge other than a full shot.

I play a 44, 49, 54, and 59, the default wedges for my SGI set. It makes upgrading to used Vokeys a challenge for sure, especially since I would want to keep my PW and GW.

My Bag

RAZR Fit Tour Authentic 10.5 R Flex

RBZ 3-Wood 15.5 R Flex

Diablo Edge R Flex Graphite 3H, 4H, 5H, 9-PW, AW, SW, LW

White Ice Sabertooth 2 33" 

I play a 45 pw, 50 gap, 56 sand and 60 lob. Just put the lob back in the bag as it is difficult to manufacture a lot of different shots with a sand wedge. Hit full shots with my 50 (100 -110 so gets lots of play), full shots and low pitch shots with the pw. Sand wedge from 80 in and lob for situations where I need a high shot with a soft landing. This combo seems to cover all the situations.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

• 3 months later...

i play vokey sm4's in 52,56,60 lofts.i use the TM burner 2 irons which are pretty strong lofts,my PW goes 120/125 the 52,56,60 range at 105 80 65 with what ide consider controlled "full" swings,when faced with yardages of 100 80 or 60 i use said clubs with this swing and they are dialled in just right..i suppose the reasoning of bending these out or having lofts at 54,58,64 or whatever would be to individuals needs...for me these popular lofts are perfect for my game...horses for courses and all that.

• 3 weeks later...

i play stock 47 degree pw, 52, 56, 60.  I also have a 64 degree for a few local courses. When I use the 64, I remove the 3 wood from my bag. getting to the green isnt much of a problem, i like to have a lot of options once I'm there. I do have a small green in my backyard, that I practice all of my wedges with extensively.

nike sq dymo str8 fit 9.5º  stiff
cobra baffler 3 wood stiff / cobra baffler 18º hybrid stiff
cobra sz irons stiff (soon to be bridgestone j33)
Cleveland 52, 56, 60 cg14
odyssey 2 dot putter / taylormade penta tp, prov1, callaway hx tour (have a few boxes of each from the past couple seasons)

This is just me, but I hit my PW 130 max, and my 56* SW 110 max, but I don't need a GW because I can also hit my PW 115 if needed.

Likewise, I don't need a LW because I can hit my 56* anywhere from 0 - 110. I also don't have any problems opening her up a little and hitting nice soft high floaters (unless it's buried).

For me, wedge play is all about feel and creativity.

This is how I play with wedges also. I used to carry a lob wedge but found no need to after learning how to control my 56.

My PW is 45, then I have 50, 56 and 60. Spent some time on the range looking at gaps today, and there was not much of a difference in distance between the 56 and 60. Clearly logic might suggest changing the 56 for a 55. Will keep in mind as the weather warms up...

Common theory is between 4-6° gap between wedges. I dropped an "iron" pw quite a few years ago to carry a true wedge pw. I bag: 46-52-58-64 I swap out the 64 for a 3 wood depending on the course... which I find myself doing more and more since the 64 is a 2 shot per round club and easily substituted for the 58.

Note: This thread is 3326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!