IGNORED

Best used driver to buy? Deep value by going a little older?

Note: This thread is 2788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Used2PlayALot

UPDATE:

I demo'ed the white Taylormade RBZ 10.5

http://tinyurl.com/d6mesq4

I tried both stiff and regular flex.

I also was hitting a Ping G15 and that old Cleveland driver.

The Taylormade RBZ stiff shaft was unreal.  Massive head.  I felt I could not miss.

I was landing at 200 yards

I have NEVER hit it that far or straight, even when I was a 12 handicap.

Night and day compared to the other drivers.

I do not want to drop $300 on a driver, but am tempted.

Is the R7 the same feel as the new RBZ?

If so, that is what I will buy. And with stiff shaft (even though I an not a hard swinger)

If you can only drive 200 yards, you are a long way from a stiff shaft and only hurting your drives by getting one.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by ApocG10

If you can only drive 200 yards, you are a long way from a stiff shaft and only hurting your drives by getting one.

I was landing at 200.

With a fairway roll, the final yardage is longer.  Easily 250?

But, I will get fitted before I buy anything.

I think my drives with the old Cleveland was 210-220.

And the RBZ drives were MUCH longer

That said, is the RBZ most similar to the G15, G20, R7, R11, etc?

Originally Posted by Used2PlayALot

I was landing at 200.

With a fairway roll, the final yardage is longer.  Easily 250?

But, I will get fitted before I buy anything.

I think my drives with the old Cleveland was 210-220.

And the RBZ drives were MUCH longer

That said, is the RBZ most similar to the G15, G20, R7, R11, etc?

What he said above.

The RBZ Driver is nothing really special over other drivers - but if it fits your eye ... Having said that, 10.5 is not enough loft for you. If you have a smoothish tempo, try a regular shaft and the 13 degree head. You will get more carry and decent roll.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've hit most of the used drivers out there, and owned many many of them. Callaway FT Tour, FT5, FT3, TM SFTP 1.0, R9 Superdeep, Adams 9015d, 9064, Ping, G15, i15, Mizuno 630, Cleveland Hibore, etc.

Lots of good drivers out there.  If I had to suggest one for "everyone", G15 is clear choice to me.  It's as long as any listed, fairly low spin, neutral so you can hit it whether you're a fade or draw player, hits nice mid trajectory for the loft so you can get what you need with loft changes only, very forgiving, nice feel and look.   I think I paid $100 for mine a few months ago, stuck a TM branded Fubuki 73g in it, and it's an awesome combo for around $140.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

I am playing a Ping G-15 and really like it. I replaced a G-5, and it's definitely better.

I haven't tried any other drivers, I'm happy with this for the level I play at.

I recently bought a G20  but with the stock shaft it was way to light for my higher tempo swing.  I thought about getting a different shaft but didn't pull the trigger on that.  May have to take a look at a used G15 with a after market shaft....

In my bag:
MP 57's 4-PW KBS Stiff
Ping G 20 10.5* Stiff
Taylormade V Steel 3 and 5 wood

Bridgestone J33 R Hybrid 21* NV Shaft
Mizuno MP Quad Cut 52* and 56* Spinner Shafts

Scotty Cameron Newport Two TeI3

• 1 year later...

I am a 60 yr old guy that plays once in awhile, but since daughter took up the sport I am planning on playing at least once a month. I am looking at used drivers on ebay and other sites trying to stay around $50. I am using a driver that I bought in the 80"s right now. Use to drive 175 - 200, but now I am down to 150-175 or so in the air.

I am looking for any help on driver and also should I get regular shafts or senior shafts?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Ed

Forgot to put the old driver that I am using is a 10.5 loft and it has graphite shafts, real light, but don't know what kind they are. I found the driver for $5. I also have a Integra 10degree driver that I do not use much. I am about a 25 handicap, have my good days and my bad days.

Thank you

Ed

I play more frequently than you do but we are in the same age group. Plus I too like the challenge of finding a bargain. My suggestion would be to start your search on Ebay with 3Balls Golf. com. They are a huge seller on Ebay and you will get good quality at a very fair price. They often have great 'Buy it Now' prices on older equipment still in very good to excellent shape.

My suggestions:

First Choice and best bargain:

Look for one of the drivers with the SQUARE shaped heads. Yes, they are a bit outdated but WOW are they ever straight. You will gain some distance because they are so straight. Head basically looks like you can not miss. Nike made Sumo2, plus Callaway and Cobra made models as well. I know guys who will play a round with their old Square model when their new $300 drivers go bad.

Second Choice:

Search for a Taylormade Burner 2 in 10.5 or 11.5 degree loft and stay with a regular shaft. The Burner 2 is a better choice than the original Burners. Dicks Sporting Goods also sold a 'made for Dick's' Burner 3 that should be a bargain but harder to find. Stay with the regular shaft if you have never hit a demo Senior shaft. Some Senior shafts are way too whippy. Save yourself some $$ and look for a club with a new grip as well.

Third Choice:

Taylormade R9 again in the 10.5 or 11.5 loft.

And a final bit of advice. Search around your area for Par 3 courses to play. They are often a bargain and a lot more fun to play when you do not play that much. Plus being shorter you will find you will be getting more opportunities for pars and even an occassional birdie! Our club champion (2 handicap) holds a second membership at a local Par 3 which he plays frequently. He says it sharpens his short game far better than a trip to the range!

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

• 10 months later...

I bought a used Rocketballz RBZ 10.5* driver from Ebay for $55.
45.5" Regular flex shaft

I went to Golfsmith and had a guy check out my swing.

My swing speed is about 85-89mph.
He said it's nice and smooth and regular flex shaft is right for me.
Great, so far, so good!

He told me to cut off 1.5" off the shaft.
Got it cut down to 44" and a new grip for a whopping $7.

Total cost for a "fitted" driver is $62..

I tipped him $20 for not trying to hard sell me $1000 worth of bling.

• 2 weeks later...

45.5" Regular flex shaft

Great, so far, so good!

I am LOVING this RBZ driver with 1.5" shortened regular flex shaft.

I didn't hit one out of play today.

Hitting tons of fairways with a nice easy swing.

I am averaging about 230 yards,

and that is PLENTY considering I was NEVER able to hit a 1990's era driver, ever.

• 2 years later...

I just got a Callaway X2 Hot 9* from their pre-owned site for about $100. I got it after hitting a friends X-Series on-course and just being blown away. It's a 2014 model, and it makes a huge difference. No, it's not going to fix fundamental swing issues, but does make a difference. Bigger sweet-spot, more forgiving, very long.

Question: I'm about 5'8 and these 46" drivers feel too long for me. I don't want to hack down my brand new used driver and mess with the swing weight, etc... what to do? I know I should get fitted but I just cannot do my normal thing in those Golfsmith hitting bays. I tried, they couldn't recommend anything based on what I did in there. On the course or range I'm fine. I think 45 or 44.5 is a better length for me.

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

45.5" Regular flex shaft 

Great, so far, so good! 

• 1 month later...

I think your best bet is a local golf store; they all have used clubs.   I bought a used Taylormade R1 driver from my local Edwin Watts store, adjusted it to 12 degrees, and that has become my favorite club.   It cost me $80.   I can hit it straight, or I can put a little fade on it.   I love that driver.   It's hard to mis-hit the ball with that club. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 2788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!