IGNORED

Grip question

Note: This thread is 6153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been pulling the ball real bad lately. Like 20 yards left of my intended target. Occasionally I hit a perfect shot (1-5 shots) but the other 4 are hard pulls. I think it could possibly be coming from grip. I use an interlocking grip. I think my problem could be that my grip is getting too compressed. I can see my left thumbnail when I grip the club (I'm a right handed player) and I don't think this is good. I think I should lengthen my grip out so that my left thumb ends inside the middle of palm (the life line). Any thoughts on this problem? I haven't gotten to the range to test anything out yet, but feedback on similair problems would be great.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

seeing that you're a 13 handicap, i'll assume your instincts are correct. You've played enough to get an innate sense of what is wrong with your swing.

When people ask me about the grip, this is how I explain it. You want you grip to be neutral at impact, not at address. So as an exercise, I have them put their body in the impact position. You've seen this position on TV if you've ever watched any golf tournament. It's that position just as you're striking the ball. From this position, adjust your grip where it feels neutral. Your thumbs should pretty much be coming straight down the top of the shaft. Now from this position, keep that grip, but move your body into the address position. The position you get into when you first stand in front of the ball.

You will notice this...at impact you are neutral, most apt to return to this position every time at impact...but at address, you will be a bit strong.

You will see 3 knuckles on your left hand (index to the 4th finger). You will see the tip of your fourth, third and possibly your index finger of your right hand. This is in essence the vardon grip, named after harry vardon who created it.

So in summary, the key is that you want to be neutral and comfortable at impact, not at address. Hope that helps.

As far as your hands being too close together? i highly doubt that. I would definitely not recommend you keep your hands farther apart. You want your hands to work as a unit not as independent parts. And you want your left hand to dominate the motion. After all, your left arm is what defines the swing plane.

Driver: Callaway FT-5 Tour 9.5 neutral, Fujikura Fit-On 380 Shaft
3 Wood: Callaway X-Tour 13 degree, X-Stiff Steel Shaft
5 Wood/Hybrid: Callaway X-Hybrid 18 degree, Stiff Graphite Shaft
Irons: Cleveland CG2 Forged 3-PW, GW, SW, X-Stiff Steel Shaft
Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum NewportBal...

It could be your grip, it could be early forearm rotation, or it could be a total "quit" of your upper body and trying to whip your hands through.

Bottom line, if the ball is going left it's because the face is aimed that way.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

when i pull its because my hands released too early and cast the club which killed distance and aiemd everythign left/hooked. make sure your hips and shoudlers go through their entire motions u arent releasing too soon.

okay, I have an update. Worked out the grip issue. It was an easy fix. I was getting weak with my right hand and could only see middle and index knuckles. To compensate for that issue, I was trying to "whip" my hand thru impact, thus closing the club face at contact and causing me to pull hook it.

New problem I ran into today. I know, I know, I am f-ind myself up at the range with all these thoughts I'm having. I finally started hitting the ball good and now I am killing myself because I am trying to fix things that weren't broken.

Now I'm hitting these dinky little topped shots. Almost shanks really. I'll top it 15yds at almost a 45* angle to the right. I don't know why. Am I standing too far away? A few days ago I was crowding the ball so I took a step back and now I am afraid that I am standing too far away. I'm really freaking out now because I am doing this about 2 out of 5 shots. I"m really freaking out! Please give me some advice.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:

unlike what most people think a shank is caused by hitting the ball where the shat and club meet, the hossle, which then sends the ball absurbly right. If the problem is really a shank, you have improper weight distribution and may be putting to much weight on your toes. You've played long enough that you know a pretty good swing so, set up to the ball club face down the target line, plant your feet, maintain proper weight distribution and make a good shoulder turn and you should be good. If it is not a shank you might be coming to far from the inside of the ball and catching it on the toe. If it really hurts when you hit it, it is probably a toe shot. Then you are to far away from the ball.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the weight distribution. I was losing my balance real bad as I came through the ball and I ended almost standing on the tips of my toes. I haven't gotten to hit the range yet, but I am going on my lunch break and hopefully this cures my problem. Usually I don't run into things like this, but for some reason, I have gotten myself all out whack lately. I've been focusing a lot of posture and following through the ball into a good finish position and I'm getting away from some the most basic things in the golf swing.
What I play:

Where I play:

Stop going to the range. It screws me up every time I go. I always end up with a different problem when I leave. I usually just take a couple of days off to "reset" my swing. Just keep play rounds and you will be alright. That is my opinion anyway.

My Sticks:
DriverFT-5 9.5° Tour Accuflex Creation 65g Stiff -or-
:R7 Superquad Redboard Stiff
Woods::TEE CB2 Accuflex Creation 80g stiff
Irons:755 cb 4-SWWedges: CG10 Black Pearl 52,56,60Putter::Seemore Black FGP 34.25"

Note: This thread is 6153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!