IGNORED

It's the golfer not the golf club

Chilidipper
Note: This thread is 6146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No offense to anyone in here disagrees with my philosophy. But people who try to fix their swings with new equipment bother me. If you want to get good perfect your swing spends years if you have to and get it good.

I told my buddy go out get a 5 iron and learn how to hit that first and go from there. Well he actually freaking took my advice and took lessons from a Hank Haney desciple. Anyway my friend Jason is actually a great ball striker now. Last time I spoke with him he was an HDC of 15. Keep in mind this guy started off horrible, worse than your average rookie. Now he can probably take me out on some courses.

Like I said he started off purchasing one G2 Ping Iron steel shaft and learned off that club. He can now hit all his irons. He is a little behind in the wood department and chipping and putting, but he takes iron off the box and carries atleast 200+ with his 4 iron now.

Oh, I'm sure that Tiger Woods could go out there and shoot even par with persimmon clubs and a featherie.

But, sometimes, new clubs do help. The modern day driver is the size of a mailbox, is much more forgiving on off-center hits (turning a skyball into a decent drive that only goes 20 yards less then hitting it squarely on the screws) and just longer in general. I think today's driver is 13 yards longer than drivers of five years ago, I heard that somewhere. And, then, bring in the cavity back irons, which means my toe shots go much less off line than if I were using my buddy's blades.

I'll give you credit, though - 90 percent of the problem is still the golfer.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

A Friend of mine is an ugly Putter, he has a terrible stroke. But he is rich and works at the local Golf Store (means he gets new equipment very cheap) and so he turns up with a new putter every week.

His putts remain ugly though, doesnt matter if it is the "Odyssey Two Ball" or the Newport, but he does not learn anything from that. I suppose he has more then 15 Putters at home which "all didnt work for him"

WitB

R7 Superquad 10.5
R7 Steel 3 Fw
2 Iron Rescue Dual MP 60 3-PW Vokey SM 56.10 Vokey SM 60.08 White Hot XG # 9

I went through a stage where I wanted new equipment every week because I thought mine was "holding me back." I then got hooked on Srixon products and pretty much sold everything to buy Srixon on eBay. I am please with every decision except for replacing my wedges. I had a 52* Cleveland 900 RTG gap wedge that was laser guided from around 110 yards, and I'm not hitting my new wedges near as well. If I could find the guy I sold it to I'd pay double to get it back, but live and learn.

The only reason I would think buying new clubs would be justified, is if your current set isn't set up for your swing speed, height, etc. Usually bending, reshafting, regripping is more expensive than just trading in for a set that has what you need.

What's in my Edge stand bag
G10 10.5*
Z-Steel 3 wood 14.5* 403-AD 18* & 21* Hybrids Burner 09 4-pw DGS300 Z TP 52* & RAC TP Black 56* White Steel 2 Ball SRT 35" Tour B330s

I think it situation depends myself. I can see the point of the original poster; if you're swinging your old R7 Quad like crap and think by buying the Superquad (just as an example) is going to "fix" you, uh no...that ain't going to happen. However sometimes new clubs can work. Wife's best friend lives in Florida. We got together with them and played golf. He played terrible, but he was also playing with what looked to be 1970's era forged clubs. He never was a good golfer, so forged clubs weren't for him anyway. I told him I'd send him my old set of King Cobra irons, my old 540 driver, etc. Amazingly, he started shooting much, much better. Magic? No, it's called letting technology work for you. Clubs nowadays are much better and forgiving, but virtually everyone can benefit from professional lessons. Just need to swallow the pride sometimes and get some help. All the PGA pro's have instructors-why should the average Joe think he doesn't need one?

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

I don't know that these are two mutually exclusive concepts. Would Nicklaus - in his prime - have been a better player if he had today's technology? Probably, a little. But he was still a great player anyway. Maybe the best ever - even when judged against Tiger's current prime and all the benefits of livelier balls, 460cc drivers, and titanium faces. Conversely, if I could go back to the early 60s with what's in my bag today, could I cleanup on the tour back then? Most certainly not. So I think there's a lot of merit in the OP. A great swing is a great swing, and a lousy swing is a lousy swing regardless of the technology.

That said, game improvement technology certainly CAN benefit those who need it. And I include myself as being one. When I was a kid, ALL irons were forged blades, and I've never been able to hit a 2-iron crisp and straight (unless by accident). Yet, I can pull out my 3i hybrid and blast it straight and long all day long - longer than I could ever hit a 2-iron blade. And I'm WELL past my prime. Same thing with drivers. I recently swapped out my 360cc Taylormade for a 450cc Srixon and gained an easy 15-25 yds on average. There's a huge advantage playing second shots that are in that 225-250 yds range from the tee versus 200-225 yds (I'm actually honest about my driver length ). But my swing is fairly solid and consistent, if a little slower than it used to be. A true beginner probably wouldn't see much difference because of their dramatic inconsistencies. So obviously technology CAN make a difference to some players, if the fundamentals are fairly solid.

I don't think you can divorce the two thoughts. They go hand-in-hand. And frankly, I'm not sure there's any reason one has to be subservant to the other. Have a hitch in your swing? Invest in lessons. Have a decent swing but are playing 10-20 year-old technology? Invest in some new clubs. Either can payoff big dividends IMHO.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

I guess what amazes me is why other players care what I have in my bag? I have a friend who is a very good and natural player. It just so happens that he can't afford to spend as much as me. I'm sorry, I have a little extra discretionary income and choose to buy nicer clubs. Do they make me play better? Actually compared to my old 1994 Big Bertha irons yes, I hit my new X-20 farther and straighter. However, I bought them because I like the way they feel and yes...how they look.

Same thing goes for my putters. I like my Scotty Cameron putters and will probably buy one or two more over time. What does that matter? I really don't understand the attitude I get from some players. I've heard my friend talking about me having close to $1500 in my bag and he eat me by 2 strokes. If I don't have a problem with the money I spend and the game I bring to the course then why do you care what's in my bag or how I play?

Now if the situation is "look at my great clubs and putter"..."see how great I am because I have this or that"...then I say yea Beat the pants off me with an old set of Wilson Staffs and rub my nose in it. However, I don't believe I bring that kind of attitude to the course.

Say it ain't so. I have never hit a bad shot, but clubs sure have while I was swinging them. That reminds me of a saying from college. "I have never gone to bed with an ugly woman, but I sure woke up with a few." Sorry...of topic. It's amazing how my picture perfect swing has been distorted by my clubs inability to finish the shot. Now that i have a new driver and irons I am better.

I agree that new clubs won't fix a bad swing, but the new technology can make good shots better and bad ones less bad. I also think the confidence that new clubs can give you standing over a shot can only help.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I agree that new clubs won't fix a bad swing, but the new technology can make good shots better and bad ones less bad. I also think the confidence that new clubs can give you standing over a shot can only help.[/QUOTE]

You have to have a swing.......... However it is vital that you find clubs that fit your swing and not vice versa. I once read that Nick Price will only hit a new club 3 times to see if it fits. Because after 3 he could adjust his swing to be able to hit it. In other words. If it fits you will know in a hurry. You can adjust to make anything work but that is not what you should be doing.

If you want to get better try things that fit.

You wouldn't keep trying on your wifes pants til they fit . Would you? different thread there.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

I agree with Whiplash 1000 percent.I buy what I want when I want it because I can and it makes me happy.Do new clubs help?If you think it will then it probably will for a while.Last week I finnally found the FT-5 lefthanded in Golfsmith and it happened to be a Taylor demo day also.I brought my 9.5 FT-3 tour with me and off to the monitor we went.First I tried a fit club from Taylor {a super quad}and then the FT-5 and hit both on the monitor.I hit the Super Quad better.Then I took out my current FT-3 and blew them both away in lenth and accuracy.The Taylor guy gave up and said keep what you got it is pretty much perfect for you.I felt like shit.I wanted so badly to get the FT-5 but did not and went home all depressed.But played the next day and forgot about it.Moral?new clubs mentally help and that may be all you need.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Note: This thread is 6146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!