IGNORED

2012 PGA Championship at Kiawah Island Ocean Course Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 4268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

Oh, you've played there? They're not bunkers. Heck, they're closer to being cart paths than they are to being bunkers.

Erik, I know you talked about them a little in your vacation review, but the "bunkers" like the one Mickelson and Love III and Harrington all just hit out of around the 7th green ... is it sand or gravel, or what?  It looks a lot grayer than yellow (maybe my computer) and I also figured if it was that hard they'd be able to spin it a little better coming out (which of course could also be attributed to the condition of the greens)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by scottyjoe145

I saw a few bunkers myself in the 18th fairway on Live From the PGA Championship last night.  I haven't played the course but i can see the TV just fine.

I think iacas is trying to say the bunkers are played "through the green" which means they are not technically played as a hazard.

A picture of the 10th green at Kiawah with a...  you guessed it!!

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/aug/05/pga-championship-ocean-course-hole-hole/

They're not bunkers. They're not being played as bunkers, nor have they ever been played as bunkers in a major tournament (or even day to day play). If you've played there, you'll see they're not prepared like regular bunkers either. The sand is firm, thin, etc. Again, they play more like a cart path than a traditional bunker.

I'm getting tired of TNT constantly pointing this out, too. I don't think they have to remind viewers every four minutes. They're talking about that almost as often as they're showing commercials.

Guessed what? Sandy areas played through the green? Yep. :P

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Erik, I know you talked about them a little in your vacation review, but the "bunkers" like the one Mickelson and Love III and Harrington all just hit out of around the 7th green ... is it sand or gravel, or what?  It looks a lot grayer than yellow (maybe my computer) and I also figured if it was that hard they'd be able to spin it a little better coming out (which of course could also be attributed to the condition of the greens)

I'm not that far in the coverage. It's beach sand. It's firm. Thin. Everywhere. The "cart paths" are "filled" with the same sand as the stuff you'll find in the greenside sandy areas surrounded by grass.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This one?

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Holy crap!  Did you guys see that aligator with the snake??

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

This one?

That would be the one!  I'm watching the web feed the brocks linked this morning and all day they have been throwing up random poll questions like, who will drive it the furthest on this hole (Phil, Love, or Padraig) and then after this one they asked "Who would win between a snake and alligator?"  Um, I'll put my money on the alligator.

Originally Posted by iacas

They're not bunkers. They're not being played as bunkers, nor have they ever been played as bunkers in a major tournament (or even day to day play). If you've played there, you'll see they're not prepared like regular bunkers either. The sand is firm, thin, etc. Again, they play more like a cart path than a traditional bunker.

I'm getting tired of TNT constantly pointing this out, too. I don't think they have to remind viewers every four minutes. They're talking about that almost as often as they're showing commercials.

Look...  if it quacks like a duck it must be a duck.  Those things sure do look like bunkers.  Just because the PGA deemed them to be played "through the green" doesn't mean they get a new name.

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

ok, first things first - Omega commercial, theyre showing it twice in a commercial break now...give me a break...

also, is it "Pet-ter-son" or "Pete-er-son"?

and, how sweaty were tigers pants?  lol...

Colin P.

They are beach sand traps,  filled with packed down, rock hard beach sand.  They never play as bunkers, and don't play anything like bunkers.  It's like pitching on the beach at low tide, shells and all.

Vr_s 9.5 degree Diamana Blueboard 63 Stiff

Vr_s 15 degree Diamana Blueboard 73 Stiff

Vr_s 19 degree Diamana Blueboard 73 Stiff

Vr Pro 3-P Project x 5.5 Hard Stepped Once

Vr Pro DS  56 & 60 True Temper S400

Spider Ghost 34"

ProV1

I actually like hitting off of hardpan-with-a-light-dusting-of-sand for any shot between 100 and 220, as long as I don't have to clear a tree.  Perfect contact conditions, nearly impossible to fat the shot, and you can hit it low but still get tons of spin to stop it very quickly.  Sounds like the perfect type of shot for an ocean course with major championship greens.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I am hoping for something special out of John Daly....i like him and always have.. he is a genuine guy..funny too..

Why cant we take practice swings in regular sand?.. I mean do you gain that much of an advantage?

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

I am hoping for something special out of John Daly....i like him and always have.. he is a genuine guy..funny too.. Why cant we take practice swings in regular sand?.. I mean do you gain that much of an advantage?

Nothing to do with practice swings, it's grounding your club that's prohibited. And it's am advantage if you have even a slightly buried lie.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

How is it that American broadcasters have determined a more-or-less standard pronunciation of the name "Oosthuizen," (Oost-HIGH-zen, though some say Oost-HAY-zen), but manage to look at Joost Luiten's name (Afrikaans is descended from Dutch) and come up with pronouncing it like "Yost Loudon?"

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I watched the entire 18 holes of the Tiger group.

-  I like watching these marque groups because there is less talking a you get to see every shot, good, bad and ugly.

-  If that damn survey banner pops over one more time ...

-  If Michael Breed does one more analysis on that screen ...

-  Keegan Bradley is the twitchiest golfer ever.  If they take away his anchoring he might lose his tour card.  He also has a very specific pre-shot routine:

1.  Line up behind the ball, tilt head to one side and stare for 15 seconds.

2.  Step next to the ball and take 4 crouching little mini pitch-like practice swings.

3.  Step back behind the ball, take 2 steps forward, one step back, then one step forward, now two steps back (now swing your partner round and round and dosey doe)

4.  Walk up to address the ball, when 2 steps away go back and line up behind the ball.

5.  Un-velcro and re-velcro glove exactly 6 times.

6.  Repeat steps 3 and 4.

7.  Address the ball and take 6 mini waggles.

8.  Swing away!

Very simple and effect routine, but if he only velcros his glove 5 times he has to start over.

• Upvote 2

-  I like watching these marque groups because there is less talking a you get to see every shot, good, bad and ugly.

-  Keegan Bradley is the twitchiest golfer ever.  If they take away his anchoring he might lose his tour card.  He also has a very specific pre-shot routine:

2.  Step next to the ball and take 4 crouching little mini pitch-like practice swings.

3.  Step back behind the ball, take 2 steps forward, one step back, then one step forward, now two steps back (now swing your partner round and round and dosey doe)

4.  Walk up to address the ball, when 2 steps away go back and line up behind the ball.

8.  Swing away!

Very simple and effect routine, but if he only velcros his glove 5 times he has to start over.

The insane would make me insane....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by utztech

8.  Swing away!

You forgot the psycho killer stare that Bradley uses. It's a routine that wouldn't be complete without the psycho killer stare.

Although we have to give Bradley some credit for eliminating the spitting that was part of his routine earlier in the year.

Note: This thread is 4268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!