IGNORED

Ben Kohles: impressive!

RichF
Note: This thread is 4238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(not strictly a 'PGA Tour' story but directly related to it)

Ben Kohles , 22, won his 2nd straight tournament in a row on the Web.com Tour - his 2nd win in his first 2 starts!

• 9-under 62 final round, 17/18 GIR
  • $261,000 thank you very much.

Thoughts?

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Good for him.  Sounds like he has a good future ahead of him.

Driver:910 D2 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Booyah Stiff Shaft

3 Wood:

Irons: G10 White Dots

Wedge: 56° Oil Can Spin Milled

Putter: Black

Bag: 
ProV1x

Completely amazing!  I don't follow college golf too closely so I have to admit that I had never heard of him until last week.  To shoot 62 to win for the second time in two weeks as a pro?  WOW.

I'm glad someone else saw this. I couldn't believe the scores from this weekend. He piqued my interest last week when he won the first tourney he ever played as a pro. But to do the same thing the next week?

Something tells me this guy won't be on the web.com tour for long.

I don't really pay too much attention until a 'red light' appears!

After eight professional rounds he’s shot: 62, 65, 66, 66, 67, 67, 69 and 70

I've now read he might get sponsor's exemptions to play on some PGA Tour events this year.

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by RichF

I've now read he might get sponsor's exemptions to play on some PGA Tour events this year.

Pretty amazing.

I think he might be a Sandtrapper.

There was one young member who "promised" that he was going to become a Tour Pro because he really wanted to and had no choice due to the lack of a back up plan.

It's a month or two since he posted, so I guess that must be him. Wow!

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

(not strictly a 'PGA Tour' story but directly related to it)

Ben Kohles, 22, won his 2nd straight tournament in a row on the Web.com Tour - his 2nd win in his first 2 starts!

9-under 62 final round, 17/18 GIR

$261,000 thank you very much.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? it has never happened before from what i have read...impressive seems to be understated.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

• Administrator

Nope, he's done. Clearly he's trending in the wrong direction. It's all been downhill since the 62.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After the first week that he won, he didn't even have his own bank account.

His childhood friend is toting his bag. 26 grand for that kid, not too bad either.

For those of you who may know - if someone is absolutely killing it like this on the Web.com tour, how long does it take before he can move up? With the new rules I'm a bit confused.

Originally Posted by bamagrad03

After the first week that he won, he didn't even have his own bank account.

His childhood friend is toting his bag. 26 grand for that kid, not too bad either.

For those of you who may know - if someone is absolutely killing it like this on the Web.com tour, how long does it take before he can move up? With the new rules I'm a bit confused.

I was watching on Sunday and the commentators were saying he already secured his promotion to the PGA next year.  One more win and he gets a "battlefield" promotion immediately to the big show.  Pretty cool!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Shaggie13

I was watching on Sunday and the commentators were saying he already secured his promotion to the PGA next year.  One more win and he gets a "battlefield" promotion immediately to the big show.  Pretty cool!

If you win three you move up right away. The problem is he could move up right in time for the playoffs, which he can't play in. :P

He's won enough money, I guess, with two wins to pretty much be a lock for 2013 anyway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He could get Jason Gore'd up to the big leagues.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 1 month later...

After his hot start, Kohles finished 60th (Web), t70 (only PGA Tour start), 5th and t19 (both Web).  Luke Guthrie, a guy I have been trying to hype a bit http://thesandtrap.com/t/61591/trivia-which-player but nobody on this board seems to know about beat Kohles yesterday when he won by 4 shots, lost in a playoff to Kohles in their Web.com debuts.  Overall he has a win, a playoff loss, a 3rd and 5 top 10s in 6 Web.com events.  BEFORE going to the Web.com Tour he made 3 starts on the PGA Tour finishing t19, t5, t18 to win 284 K (to go along with his 283 K on the Web.com).

Originally Posted by iacas

If you win three you move up right away. The problem is he could move up right in time for the playoffs, which he can't play in. :P

He's won enough money, I guess, with two wins to pretty much be a lock for 2013 anyway.

I love the Fed Ex Cup Playoffs, but they do block guys chances of moving up.  Has already happened a number of times where a guy picked up his 3rd win right before or during the playoffs.  I am pretty sure that Jason Gore`s only Tour victory came during what is now the Playoffs which he wouldn`t have been eligible for had they existed then.

With Q School not give tour cards after this year, I really think they should make it easier for guys to move up mid-season.  I mean, if a guys current play is good enough to put him on Tour next season, why not give him some chances this season when he is really hot.  Nobody has ever won twice and NOT been promoted for the next season, so why not give some PGA Tour starts right after that 2nd win, or when a guy has won enough that he is guaranteed a card for the next season.

I also think the should include 1 to 5 guys from the Web.com Tour in the playoffs.  If you look at the Web.com top 4, in 5 PGA Tour events, they have made all 5 cuts, with 1 top 5, a t10 at the US Open and a total of 4 top 19 finishes.  These guys will be on Tour next year, so why not give them more of a chance this year?

I also think that Tour cards should look at combined points for both tours to account for a guy like Guthrie who has won an equal amount on both tours.  He is going to be top 25 on the Web.com, but what if a guy finished 126 and 26?  Isn`t that a better year than a guy who was 125 or 25 on just one of the tours?

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Note: This thread is 4238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!