IGNORED

Chamblee - Originality is dead / McIlroy - Technology allows lesser players to catch up

nevets88
Note: This thread is 4268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Interesting comments indeed...

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/golf-central-tuesday-feature-2/?cid=twitter_V_gc_CHAMBLEE_ORIGINALITY%20_080812

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/08/rory-mcilroy-us-pga-technology?CMP=twt_gu

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess Chamblee doesn't think football QB's aren't as competitive as they were in the past because they all are taught to throw with similar mechanics.

How many of the guys that played in the 60's and 70's used Hogan as their model swing?

Chamblee sounds like a guy that doesn't understand that technology causes things to change because it allows us to model and analyze physics models to determine the most effective and efficient way to accomplish something.

Joe Paradiso

I think that instead of teaching kids chemistry and physics, we should just give them a bunch of chemicals and high voltage power sources, and let them be creative and original.
  • Upvote 1

Yeah and why do those olympic runners and pole vaulters all use the same technique, where's the originality?  Chamblee must hate syncronized swimming and diving

Originally Posted by brocks

I think that instead of teaching kids chemistry and physics, we should just give them a bunch of chemicals and high voltage power sources, and let them be creative.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I guess Chamblee doesn't think football QB's aren't as competitive as they were in the past because they all are taught to throw with similar mechanics.

How many of the guys that played in the 60's and 70's used Hogan as their model swing?

Chamblee sounds like a guy that doesn't understand that technology causes things to change because it allows us to model and analyze physics models to determine the most effective and efficient way to accomplish something.

Agreed.  He is a tool.  He is probably a 'feel' player - and never got any better because he played by feel.  Instead of really getting into the science of what the hell he was doing with his swing.  The golf world today is so much better from TOP to Bottom.  Thus parody.  I don't know how he thinks because Jack Nicklaus lost majors to guys like Travino, Snead, etc... several times - and Tiger hasn't lost a major to some of the other more recognizable players several times how that shows the top of the player poll was better in the 60's than it is today?

That is like saying the NBA is worse now than it was in the 80's when the Celtics and Lakers played each other time and time again for the title.  Say 'What?' Chamblee?

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Yeah and why do those olympic runners and pole vaulters all use the same technique, where's the originality?  Chamblee must hate syncronized swimming and diving

Chamblee tonight said he was surprised Side Saddle putting style isn't being used... As according to Pelz, it is the highest % make method.  Come on Chamblee... It's because instructors have lost originality and aren't teaching Side Saddle putting.  You already knew the answer Chamblee!!  They are just 'COPYING' the standard putting stroke.

I think you bring up lots of good points NewtoGolf.  I've been watching the Olympics and seems like there is a lot more uniformity than golf.  Or it could be my untrained eye.  Just find it interesting that golf is so big on "doing things your own way".  Don't get me wrong I don't believe there is one way everyone should swing but there should be a lot more uniformity in how golf is taught.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by brocks

I think that instead of teaching kids chemistry and physics, we should just give them a bunch of chemicals and high voltage power sources, and let them be creative and original.

Sounds like a meth lab.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Agreed.  He is a tool.  He is probably a 'feel' player - and never got any better because he played by feel.  Instead of really getting into the science of what the hell he was doing with his swing.  The golf world today is so much better from TOP to Bottom.  Thus parody.  I don't know how he thinks because Jack Nicklaus lost majors to guys like Travino, Snead, etc... several times - and Tiger hasn't lost a major to some of the other more recognizable players several times how that shows the top of the player poll was better in the 60's than it is today?

Everyone's a feel player.

And FWIW I think Brandel's career came to an early demise when he started taking "modern style" lessons, so now he hates it all, and probably thinks he would still be on Tour if only he hadn't gone down that road.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Background on Chamblee:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/19/sports/golf/on-the-golf-channel-an-analyst-who-is-not-afraid-to-get-rough.html?pagewanted=all

Excerpt:

Nick Faldo waded into shallow waters by predicting a “fabulous run” in the majors for a fellow Englishman, Luke Donald, the No. 1 player in the world and the reigning money champion on the PGA and European Tours.

Brandel Chamblee, who is known for immersing himself in details, begged to differ. Wielding his tongue like an X-Acto knife, Chamblee used statistics to shred Faldo’s angle.

Donald, he said, never hit more than three fairways in a row at last year’s United States Open and never hit more than four in succession at the British Open. Only nine times all year did Donald hit more than nine fairways in a row, Chamblee said, and he ranked 127th in total driving.

With his remarks, Chamblee turned a routine “Golf Central” segment on the Golf Channel into something resembling a rousing debate between the jock and the smartest kid in school.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Everybody is on the Chamblee stuff, what about McIlroy's comments?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I'm not sure what to make of Rory's comments.  Given his recent struggles I think there's a bit of irony in that he won a Masters and until today was struggling so why isn't equipment helping him?

Each golfer has to make shots and everyone has access to the same equipment so I'm not sure how he factors equipment into his equation.  There are some pro's playing AP1's or G20's but most are not playing the high tech SGI irons, actually most seem to play some form of blade.  Their drivers while bigger are still very low lofts.

If you watched Phil today you'd say technology wasn't doing him much good given how many bad shots he hit.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Joe Paradiso

You must be testing us - Rors lost a Masters, but won the US Open.

Rors problem isn't equipment...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by bplewis24

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/08/rory-mcilroy-us-pga-technology?newsfeed=true

Is Rory including himself in the "lesser players" who have been boosted to major titles by improvements in technology?

His comment seems directed at the other 15 guys.  I mean, he's surely a great player, and I suspect he'll have at least 20 wins by the time it's all said and done, but he currently has six wins including 1 major--it's not as if he's a lock for the hall of fame today.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I'm not sure what to make of Rory's comments.  Given his recent struggles I think there's a bit of irony in that he won a Masters and until today was struggling so why isn't equipment helping him?

He's saying exactly what Jack said in his book --- that the new technology makes it harder for the best players to separate themselves from the pack. It helps everybody, but the more you need it, the more it helps you. In other words, it tends to act as an equalizer.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!