IGNORED

What does golf mean to u?? How important is it in your life?

looseleftie
Note: This thread is 3335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

As a newbie , and a totally addicted newbie as well. I became curious as to how impotant golf is you u?

Do u think about it when u are not playing? Or do u anticipate that weekend round of golf with passion?

I guess I am looking at what inspires u about this sport? Is it the personal challenge, or just a way to get out of the house for a few hours each week? Love to know.

I love the feeling of improvement, although am yet to see it lol.. It will happen (eventually).. For me it is also the challenge.. I am pretty competant in most sports, yet in golf it is like I have met my nemesis, it really is the ULTIMATE chalenge for an individual.. I have yet to come across a sport like this..It humbles me into submission, and forces me into respecting the sport so much more.. I canot think of another like sport..

In the short period that I have been playing, I have hit a few pars, and that feeling is almost angelic, it is that very feeling that keeps me coming back.. What is it with you?

Always love reading everyone's thoughts and passions with golf.

Take care

Looseleftie

For me, golf gives me an opportunity to challenge myself. I don't play golf competitively, and most of the people I play with don't take it as seriously as I do, so I am mostly just competing against myself and my own stats. I like to focus on improving my stats (GIRS, FIRS, avg. par 3's, 4's, 5's, etc.). I like to keep a log of how I shot at each course I played so that next time I play it I have a benchmark to base my days performance against.

I just simply love the challenge. It keeps weekends interesting, and it sure as hell beats sitting on the couch watching tv.

its very challenging so the good moments feel that much better. So many aspects (driving, irons, wedges, chipping, putting, bunkers etc) to it that need to be improved upon and all tied together in unison to be successful.

Golf is a pretty big part of my life.  When Im not on the course Im either thinking about my swing or thinking about whats going on in the PGA or LPGA tour pretty often.  Golf is my release and my escape from the stresses of life and when I dont get a chance to either get out on the course or go to the range and work on my game Im a much more stressed, unpleasent person to be around.

Ive been playing for 14 years and I still get butterflies in my stomach every time before my round and get excited about another chance to shoot a low score.

What inspires me about golf is the endless challenge.  Theres always something to work on and always something that you could be better at.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I couldn't imagine my life without golf. I plan my "vacation/sick" days around golf - using half days a lot so I can extend the number of weekday rounds I can play. If I am sick I would rather work (within reason) than burn two of my precious golf half days. I try to play both weekend days if at all possible and have a different regular group for Saturday and Sunday. I look forward to each round and even after a couple of bad rounds stringed together there is always hope that next time out.

A few years ago I thought I was going to have to give up the game (back pain) and I was one sorry, miserable, grumpy SOB. I'm still a grumpy SOB but a lot less miserable having forced myself into playing more this year. My scores may never be where they once were, I may now tend to duck hook, pull, stub shots instead of having a consistent, fairly long fade but I still enjoy the hell out of the game.

I'm fairly new to golf (only been playing about a year) but for me golf is simply recreation.  A way to get outside and decompress from the stress of life.  I enjoy it but I also don't have the obsession that I see in other golfers.  I think that if my body allowed it I would much rather play basketball, but those days have past.

I'm not saying golf isn't a great sport because it is.  I just don't think I have the same love affair with the game that others express.

"Golf is a game in which you yell 'fore', shoot six and write down five." - Paul Harvey

Golf has been the biggest and most important sport in my life, and I couldn't imagine what I would've turned to, if I hadn't played.  I love that it's just as much a mental game as it is physical, and tests you're discipline, respect, and patience.  To keep improving is always a goal.  I don't know whether being a scratch golfer is really a goal of mine, as more of being able to keep improving my best possible outcome.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am very new to Golf so we'll see how I feel a year or two down the road..   but right now I think about it daily and enjoy the hell out of it. Right now golf gives me quite a few things to enjoy..

1) Competetive challenge that I sorely missed once H.S./college was over

2) Destresser from every day life (wife, kids, job, etc)

3) A way to meet new people who have a similar interest

4) Exercise, Exercise, Exercise

As an opposite to #2 I bring my 4 year old son along with me to the range/course from time to time and thoroughly enjoy it.  I hope that he enjoys the game and we can play for many years to come.

Jeff

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think about golf when I'm working, when I'm relaxing, basically I always have golf on my mind to a degree.  It comes second to family but I try to play or go to the range every day that I'm not working.  My wife is the one that convinced me to take up golf again after taking ten years off to look after her, and she is great with my obsession.  I only wish that I had more time for doing what I love (golf) instead of doing what I have to do (everything else).  It's hard to improve much when I work 55+ hours a week and have a disabled wife with lots of medical issues, but I'm trying.  Working every weekend doesn't help in finding regular playing partners either, so I tend to practice a lot on my off days.  When I get to the course I've been better every round thanks to all of the work that I put in.

Getting better at "the hardest game ever" offers a sense of purpose that I don't get from my job.

• Upvote 1

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

Well, at a minimum it is my form of recreation and exercise.  Been playing off and on for about 20 years and quite often in last 10 years since retirement.  I enjoy playing and it is a game I can play for as long in life as my health allows.  Also enjoy the challenge(s) and watching myself progress over the years.  I also had the pleasure of introducing some of my grandchildren to the game and we play as often as we can manage which is a special treat for me and them.  And, being an engineer, I like keeping my statistics!

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

It has become very important to me, I've been hacking at the little white ball for years but never did have the time or commitment to improve my game.

My son has changed all that.

He is 14 soon to be 15 and starting his sophomore year in high school and 2nd year on the schools golf team.

I started him out at age 8 and had trouble beating him last year, this year he is routinely kicking my butt shooting 80's.

His low round is a 77 so far.

He is really getting into it the past two years and I couldn't be happier.

His enthusiasm is contagious and both of us now routinely practice and talk golf and are trying to learn all we can.

It's been a great journey so far and I can't think of a better thing to do with my son then sharing a round with him.

It's been great for him and he is turning into a mighty fine young man right before my very eyes.....and not a bad duffer either.

It really is the greatest game.

Originally Posted by colin007

I divorced my wife and put the kids in an orphanage and the parents in a nursing home so i could play more.

If you don't show any commitment to the game, you can't expect to improve. I suggest you take the game  a little more seriously and treat it with the respect it deserves.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by colin007

I divorced my wife and put the kids in an orphanage and the parents in a nursing home so i could play more.

If you'd sold the kids organs before you sent them to the orphanage you could have put that money into a new carry bag or even a nice pair of sport slacks!

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Golf has been a part of my life for 37 years since I was 9 years old. From the very start I didn't want to just play, I wanted to be really good at it. Over the years there have been times when it probably took up too much of my time and there were times when I had to put the clubs away and concentrate on real life things. I've been fortunate that in the past 10 years or so my son has been involved in the game and we play 2-3 times a week. It's been so cool to watch him grow and develop into a fine player. He isn't beating me yet on a regular basis but this summer he beat me for the first time. It was the only time on the golf course when I was beat and actually felt good about it, lol. He made the High School team last year as a 8th grader and this year he starts High School. I guess it won't be too much longer until he's cleaning my clock but the competitive golfer in me isn't going to just lay down! We should have some great battles coming up in the next few years.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Love all the posts, especially the father and son golfing posts, and not to forget the divorced wife and kids home lol...

I just wonder if its me, as I am totally obsessed with self improvement and relish the challenge of having to be the best I can be, knowing that I will never master the game, and always be a student.. Can't understand some of the guys I play with, they are take it or leave it!! Mid handicappers, nice blokes, just content with where they are at.. It would kill me to reach that range and lack the desire to keep improving... It must be an OCD thing with me..

I am usually quite competant at most sports and progress quite smoothly, however with golf I have never been so frustrated at a sport in all my life, I have struggled so much, with the smallest little baby steps of improvement, yet LOVE it!! I am just looking forward to where I can relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings of a golf course more rather than tryin to find my bloody ball amongst bushes or in out of bounds areas..

Note: This thread is 3335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!