IGNORED

What does golf mean to u?? How important is it in your life?

looseleftie
Note: This thread is 3313 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you don't show any commitment to the game, you can't expect to improve. I suggest you take the game  a little more seriously and treat it with the respect it deserves.

[quote name="logman" url="/t/61286/what-does-golf-mean-to-u-how-important-is-it-in-your-life#post_756890"]If you'd sold the kids organs before you sent them to the orphanage you could have put that money into a new carry bag or even a nice pair of sport slacks!:-D [/quote] :-P

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I don't get par on at least 1 hole in a round, I will jump off a bridge.  I take this sport very seriously.  So far, I've managed to do that, and I'm alive!

Driver -- TM Burner 2.0 9.5º

FWs -- TM Burner 2.0 15º / 18º

Hybrids -- TM Raylor 19º and 22º

Irons -- TM Burner Plus (4i - PW, AW, SW), TM Burner 1.0 LW

Putter -- Scotty Cameron Mallet Phantom 2

Bag -- TM Stratus 3.0

Ball -- Top Flight Gamer V2, Titleist DT Solo

Golf has changed meaning for me quite a few times in my life.  It was a competitive outlet at times.  It was a diversion.  It was a challenge that I wanted to conquer.  There were times that my self esteem was dictated by my golf score (that wasn't good).  So as I've aged it has really just become something that I enjoy more like a hobby.  I still play in a tournament here or there but it's mostly about having fun.  What I found particularly amusing this weekend was when I was playing in a Ryder Cup-style event.  Several guys were getting their underwear in a wad over certain things happening out on the course during the matches.  I laughed at most of it and even told one guy to "get over it....it's just a game".  Probably wasn't the most tactful thing I could have said but that's just where I am in life.  It's fun, but it's not life or death.

Seriously, is there anything more beautiful in this universe than the ball flight of a crushed drive, or the feel of a pured 4 iron?

That's why I play.

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Seriously, is there anything more beautiful in this universe than the ball flight of a crushed drive, or the feel of a pured 4 iron?

That's why I play.

Winning post! For me, cranking a 3 wood off the fairway is about the best feeling on the course. I play pretty much every weekend but hardly ever practice. I look at golf as the ultimate recreation event. I get to hang out outside on a beautiful course and not think about anything except golf for 4 hours.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by Shorty

If you don't show any commitment to the game, you can't expect to improve. I suggest you take the game  a little more seriously and treat it with the respect it deserves.

hahaha yea man up.

For me nothing beats the feeling of shanking an iron on my approach, 3 putting a 10 footer, or stabbing myself in the face with a broken shaft.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

I love the sport and used to play at least a round a week until my son was born. Now I'm fortunate to play a few times a year due to time and financial constraints. But it doesn't mean I don't still love the game. What I really love is the strategic aspect of the sport. Every hole and green complex is different thus you play different shots based on the lay of the land. I love that about golf.

It's a challenging game that I continually try to improve at.  But I can easily let it fall by the wayside as other, more important things demand my attention.  I'm not a pro and no one is paying me to play the game or display their logos so I keep it in perspective.

I play when I can and prefer decent weather.  For me that's a couple of times a month during the good weather months.

Originally Posted by poser

hahaha yea man up.

For me nothing beats the feeling of ... stabbing myself in the face with a broken shaft.

make sure you use a positive angle of attack when doing that.  a negative AoA and youll miss entirely.

Colin P.

Having a round scheduled with your friends in the AM still makes that day like Christmas. I get up early cuz I can't sleep. Then when the round blows up, it's like getting coal n your stocking. That's still better than looking out the window while chomping on your cereal, and seeing thunderstorms roll in. Bad golf is better than no golf at all.

When I was a young teen, I would play a lot with my father and grandfather. My grandfather passed away a few years back, and I really miss the time I got to spend with him out on the course along with my father. My dad's had a number of physical issues in recent years (knee replacement, shoulder socket issues) that have really cut back his ability to play and may force him to stop eventually. All this has factored into my re-learning the game now - I want to be able to spend time on the course with my dad now, like he used to with my grandfather.

Aside from that, I also have had some physical issues over the years, mostly with my knee - this past January my doc told me I could no longer do anything high impact, and hockey (my main sports love) was out. I don't know about you guys, but I've always had to have SOMETHING that I could be competitive in with my friends. Now golf has quickly replaced hockey, and I'm always at the range before work, on lunch breaks, on weekends, just trying to put everything together.

Oh, and I definitely agree with the poster who mentioned hitting that perfect shot - after a crap day at the office, hitting that perfectly straight, long drive off the tee just erases anything bad that happened that day. For me, anyways!

Russ B.

Having a round scheduled with your friends in the AM still makes that day like Christmas. I get up early cuz I can't sleep. Then when the round blows up, it's like getting coal n your stocking. That's still better than looking out the window while chomping on your cereal, and seeing thunderstorms roll in. Bad golf is better than no golf at all. .

So is bad golf like sex? Even when it's bad it's still pretty good?

Colin P.

Originally Posted by looseleftie

Hi all,

As a newbie , and a totally addicted newbie as well. I became curious as to how impotant golf is you u?

Do u think about it when u are not playing? Or do u anticipate that weekend round of golf with passion?

I guess I am looking at what inspires u about this sport? Is it the personal challenge, or just a way to get out of the house for a few hours each week? Love to know.

I love the feeling of improvement, although am yet to see it lol.. It will happen (eventually).. For me it is also the challenge.. I am pretty competant in most sports, yet in golf it is like I have met my nemesis, it really is the ULTIMATE chalenge for an individual.. I have yet to come across a sport like this..It humbles me into submission, and forces me into respecting the sport so much more.. I canot think of another like sport..

In the short period that I have been playing, I have hit a few pars, and that feeling is almost angelic, it is that very feeling that keeps me coming back.. What is it with you?

Always love reading everyone's thoughts and passions with golf.

Take care

Looseleftie

i am also addicted i just love the sport

Golf to me is just about everything. I have only been playing about a year but I think about it 24/7. I have played monday tuesday and thursday this week. I also have a round planned for firday and saturday and Ill probably end up playing sunday as well.

I tend to have an addictive personality and my drug is definitely golf right now. During the week I tell my self I can only play if I walk the course to get exercise and I am playing by myself so its no inconvenience to any of my friends. During the weekends its a time to relax, and slam some beers with my brother and or friends. I love seeing the progression in my game as I have kind of reached a peak in hockey to which I am now only playing recreationally twice a week.

There is no better feeling than flushing any shot like people said. Crushing a drive or hitting the green from 200 yards out or even sinking a decent length putt with some good break. Just makes everything feel worth it. It is just a great way to challenge myself, stay busy and not be lazy on the couch sitting at home when I get off work.

My love for golf compared to my friends the other night was shown. We finished 18 and my buddy was ready to go but I talked to the guy in the proshop and he said I could replay for free. We ended up settling in the middle for 6 extra holes but I would have played 36 in the dark.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

My love for golf compared to my friends the other night was shown. We finished 18 and my buddy was ready to go but I talked to the guy in the proshop and he said I could replay for free. We ended up settling in the middle for 6 extra holes but I would have played 36 in the dark.

"Settled in the middle"? The middle would've been 9 holes, you let your buddy off easy!

Colin P.

i play every friday 3 of my best friends...so that is good. i have met many others and have the good fortune to play 75 or more times a year, i have learned to use it has a relationship builder with existing clients, a get to know you better tool for new ones and thank-you for for the opportunity for completed projects...between friendships / personal and the professional gains it would hard for me overstate the level of importance of golf for me!!

plus i have gotten to play some of the best courses in my area, region and country for little or no out of pocket expense...which is always nice!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I have a great appreciation for the game and relish every opportunity I have to play.  For me it's relaxing (for the most part) and gives me a chance to bound with friends, my son-in-law, brother, dad and hopefully in a few years my grandson.  As I've grown older I have even more of an appreciation of getting out and playing, there were points in time when playing was a complete luxury and could not be afforded, I enjoy every round I'm able to play.

If you would have asked this question of me 10 or 15 years ago I would have said I was totally engrossed in the game, thinking about it everyday, dreaming about it at night, but as time has worn on I think I have just become content with the game.  While I'm always looking to improve, I don't go beat balls 3 times a week and spend 5 hours on the putting green.  I've kind of found that "happy place" in my game, I don't scream and cuss bad shots, don't dance when I hit a good shot, I just enjoy my time playing the game.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Note: This thread is 3313 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!