• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joekelly

Got geese?

27 posts in this topic

What a nuisance.  Goose sh*t everywhere, birds flapping, yakking, waddling, crapping on the greens...you name it the birds do it.  This in Atlanta but i have played with these guys in Knoxville and seen them elsewhere.  What about your course and location?  Do you have these 'protected critters' mucking up your putting lines too?  I am not against birds in their place but is the golf course their constitutional right of abode?  If we could change our habits slightly and substitute goose for  turkey dinner, on Thanksgiving and Christmas only, then the 'harmony of the green' could develop,IMHO!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Berkshire Valley, NJ has a huge problem with geese ... one hole near a pond must have had a hundred geese sitting down roosting on it one morning - shit was everywhere & it was unplayable.     Don't know how other courses control them, but it is a big problem...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Less concerned about putting around it than getting on my hands after touching my ball or getting a face full of it after hitting an iron out of the fairway. Really only a problem at one course I play and it's so busy I usually avoid it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

The answer to too many geese is . . . . . . . Christmas.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Dogs work. They run them off and never catch them and love it. Took two weeks to go from overrun to none on a course I played a few years ago.

My home course is next to an airport and they have these shotgun like cannons that randomly explode and make a loud noise to keep geese away.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have lots of geese at my home course but they are actually never a problem.  They seem to avoid the greens like the plague and will actually walk around the perimeter of one instead of crossing it.  There is occasional goose poop in the fairway here and there but nothing you can't avoid.  I think Hurzdan did well designing my course by providing a big dead space of grass next to a pond that keeps the geese mostly out of play.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Dogs work. They run them off and never catch them and love it. Took two weeks to go from overrun to none on a course I played a few years ago.

My home course is next to an airport and they have these shotgun like cannons that randomly explode and make a loud noise to keep geese away.

Course I play on has a dog that just roams the course... we never have geese now.  I forget what kind of dog it is.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dogs work. They run them off and never catch them and love it. Took two weeks to go from overrun to none on a course I played a few years ago. My home course is next to an airport and they have these shotgun like cannons that randomly explode and make a loud noise to keep geese away.

In Scotland, we saw guys playing golf with their dogs. I'd take mine out in a heartbeat if our course would allow it. We have a ton of geese here in Vegas. Had 'em in Memphis, too. I've never seen a goose get after anyone here, though there were a few aggressive honkers in Memphis.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Paradox

We have lots of geese at my home course but they are actually never a problem.  They seem to avoid the greens like the plague and will actually walk around the perimeter of one instead of crossing it.  There is occasional goose poop in the fairway here and there but nothing you can't avoid.  I think Hurzdan did well designing my course by providing a big dead space of grass next to a pond that keeps the geese mostly out of play.

Same in Alberta ... lot's of geese on most courses that have significant water, not a problem. Other than occasionally worrying about hitting into them, I don't really notice them anymore.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of geese in the KC area............

Screw'em..................... I'd love to bring a gun to the course.  They can dig holes in the greens........my vote is to shoot them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They shoot them [in the season] on one course I play but a couple of shots and they've gone . They don't seem to have much of a memory either since they are back next day ! ; also shooting can't be done whilst people are playing, unreasonably they resent a backside full of pellets on the downswing. I shall pass on the dog idea though , sounds cheap and effective. Thanks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Typhoon92

Course I play on has a dog that just roams the course... we never have geese now.  I forget what kind of dog it is.

Most likely a border collie.  Courses can buy them trained specifically to keep the geese off the course.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by joekelly

What a nuisance.  Goose sh*t everywhere, birds flapping, yakking, waddling, crapping on the greens...you name it the birds do it.  This in Atlanta but i have played with these guys in Knoxville and seen them elsewhere.  What about your course and location?  Do you have these 'protected critters' mucking up your putting lines too?  I am not against birds in their place but is the golf course their constitutional right of abode?  If we could change our habits slightly and substitute goose for  turkey dinner, on Thanksgiving and Christmas only, then the 'harmony of the green' could develop,IMHO!!

What course did you play in Knoxville that had a lot of Geese? I've yet to see any geese, much less large populations.  Maybe I'm just lucky!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Dogs work. They run them off and never catch them and love it. Took two weeks to go from overrun to none on a course I played a few years ago.

My home course is next to an airport and they have these shotgun like cannons that randomly explode and make a loud noise to keep geese away.


My brother was a member of a country club in Wichita, KS a few years back, were they had a lot of issues with geese.  He convinced the powers to be that his hunting dog could take care of the situation and they agreed.  He would take his pointer to the course and the pointer would chase them off, he got a place to run his pointer and the course got rid of the geese.

One of the courses in the Kansas City are sits on a lake, the geese quickly learned that the particular cove that the course was on was safe from hunters.  There would be hundreds of geese on the two holes and make it virtually unplayable.  The course made arrangements with the hunters to allow hunting on the property at certain times of the day and eliminated the problem.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A dog track I played a lot until recently had a huge issue with geese. Every green and all around the greens were covered. Made for difficult chips and putts.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO.... the perfect golf cart setup for any golf course with geese.........

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine runs a course in Bend and they have problems with geese, they have found that they can keep the geese off the greens by using something called Bird Shield.  Apparently it is sprayed on and when the geese taste or smell it, they stay away.  They say that it isn't that expensive and they only have to use it when the geese first show up, the geese get the idea they aren't wanted and move on.  Maybe this is an option for your course?

I do like the idea that BuckeyeNut had though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0