IGNORED

2012 Barclays Discussion Thread, PGA Tour Playoffs

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In the three years since the current iteration of the FedExCup format was introduced, 22 of the 90 golfers that survived the first three stages started the Playoffs outside the top 30 -- seven in both 2009 and 2011; eight in 2010.

All of the top 13 in points at the conclusion of the regular season have qualified for THE TOUR Championship in the last three years. Only seven ranked 14-20 since 2009 have failed to advance to East Lake. The 30 golfers below represent a blend of this trending with guys arriving at The Barclays in great form.

The FedExCup champion receives $10 million. Other notable bonuses read as follows: fifth place = $1 million; 10th = $500,000; 30th = $175,000; 55th-70th = $110,000; 81st-100th = 75,000; 101st-125th = 70,000. And just to ease the sting for the first 25 on the outside looking in, those that finished the regular season ranked 126th-150th are given $35,000. These payouts are in additions to all regular prize money up for grabs in each of the four tournaments.

Mickelson's relationship with NYC

Quote:

New Yorkers have adopted Mickelson as one of their own in the past, and he is obviously eager to fuel the advantage that gives him again this week.

“I love this area,” Mickelson told Golf Channel. “I love the golf courses. I love the people. I love how knowledgeable they are about sports. They just get it.

“My kids and my wife get this new energy when they come here. They are in Manhattan right now with some friends. This city just brings out a whole different energy level for them. I just love exposing them to all the culture New York has to offer.”

Mickelson, who has not been shy expressing complaints about Rees Jones’ redesigns in the past, even raved about Jones’ work at Bethpage Black. Jones did redesigns there in ’98 and ’08 before U.S. Opens.

“I love the course,” Mickelson said. “Rees Jones did a great job renovating it and making the greens a reward if you hit a good shot. These greens are spectacular. Tee to green, it’s very demanding, very challenging. This complex here has meant so much to the game of golf. This course is really special to the game.”

The Barclays is being played at Bethpage for the first time. The event has been played at other New York and New Jersey venues in the past. It was played at Plainfield Country Club in New Jersey last year.

“This is the best thing that has happened to the Barclays event because of the type of excitement, the type of support the community gives it at Bethpage,” Mickelson said. “It is different than any place we’ve been. I just think it elevates the status of the tournament and elevates its credibility.”

If you want to see Tiger's "news conference" go HERE

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I expected this question to have been asked already :( guess I will. Anywhere I can see live coverage?

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Wow theres already been a lot of super low scores. It looks like Bethpage is playing nothing even close the US Open setups in 2002 & 2009.

Looks like its in great shape though, considering the blistering dry and hot summer the entire nation has been.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

NYC hasnt been as dry as the rest of the country.  it has been drier than usual but not droughtlike.

i heard one of the commentators today say "you always want to point the clubface where you want the ball to start"!   HOORAY!!!!

also, i hate to divulge this in case Tiger reads this.  i know how disappointed he will be in me.

the wife and i spent sunday-tuesday at a hotel in long island because we had an appointment in manhattan, anyways, tuesday morning, we are in the hotel, eating at the breakfast buffet, and i look over and i see Luke Donald!  i tell my wife that theres a famous golfer over at that other table and she totally couldnt care less.  so when he gets up again to get more food i head over to say hi.  i got flummoxed and said "hey luke, good luck this week ..." and shook his hand.  i cannot believe i told him to do well.  tiger would kill me,

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

NYC hasnt been as dry as the rest of the country.  it has been drier than usual but not droughtlike.

i heard one of the commentators today say "you always want to point the clubface where you want the ball to start"!   HOORAY!!!!

also, i hate to divulge this in case Tiger reads this.  i know how disappointed he will be in me.

the wife and i spent sunday-tuesday at a hotel in long island because we had an appointment in manhattan, anyways, tuesday morning, we are in the hotel, eating at the breakfast buffet, and i look over and i see Luke Donald!  i tell my wife that theres a famous golfer over at that other table and she totally couldnt care less.  so when he gets up again to get more food i head over to say hi.  i got flummoxed and said "hey luke, good luck this week..." and shook his hand.  i cannot believe i told him to do well.  tiger would kill me,

And he is doing well so far!!!

Driver: Mizuno MP-630 10.5* S-Flex

Irons: 4-6 Mizuno JPX 800 S-Flex, 7-P Mizuno MP-58 S-Flex

Wedge: Mizuno MP-10 56*

Putter: Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2

Ball: Gamer V2, Q-Star, e-6

I do like how the Fed Ex is playing out however I just wish they would limit it to the top like 80 instead of 125. Give the players more of an incentive to play in more tournaments and work harder earlier in the season.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Originally Posted by atb5079

I do like how the Fed Ex is playing out however I just wish they would limit it to the top like 80 instead of 125. Give the players more of an incentive to play in more tournaments and work harder earlier in the season.

That's a good thought and perhaps the tour will, over time, continue to tweak the events based on fan feedback? I can certainly see more of a sense of urgency in the players this year for these events than in years past.

I was there today and followed Tiger and Rory's group from 16-9 (started on 10) and thought the crowd was huge. Now granted, this is only my second PGA Tour event and I've never followed Tiger before, but in a post round interview Tiger called the group "small and quieter than expected" but he thinks that it will get bigger tomorrow. I'm pumped to go back!

Also, it's so cool seeing these guys play on a course that I've played before and just watching the spots they can put the ball from the tips, amazing.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

Originally Posted by iPutt

I was there today and followed Tiger and Rory's group from 16-9 (started on 10) and thought the crowd was huge. Now granted, this is only my second PGA Tour event and I've never followed Tiger before, but in a post round interview Tiger called the group "small and quieter than expected" but he thinks that it will get bigger tomorrow. I'm pumped to go back!

Also, it's so cool seeing these guys play on a course that I've played before and just watching the spots they can put the ball from the tips, amazing.

Good for you that you're there at the event and have a great time!! If you're able, and if you'd like, how about a daily review from you this week? I know I'd appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Henny Bogan

Good for you that you're there at the event and have a great time!! If you're able, and if you'd like, how about a daily review from you this week? I know I'd appreciate it.

Yeah definitely, I have tickets for the week and I plan to go each day. What would you like to see from a review?

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

Originally Posted by iPutt

Yeah definitely, I have tickets for the week and I plan to go each day. What would you like to see from a review?

Maybe what you're seeing in terms of how the course is really playing tee to green, which players you feel like are really playing well, and your overall impressions of the event. Something along those lines?

Originally Posted by Henny Bogan

Maybe what you're seeing in terms of how the course is really playing tee to green, which players you feel like are really playing well, and your overall impressions of the event. Something along those lines?

Yeah sure!

Today was a surprising day. As you guys may have heard it was extremely soft out there today and guys were shooting really low scores, especially in the morning. When I looked up at a leader board to see Paddy 7 under through 17 I was really surprised. But the greens were receptive and really made play a lot easier. However, in the afternoon the winds started up a bit (as opposed to dead still air in the morning) and the course firmed up some, explaining why the top 6 or so on the leader board went out in the morning.

All three par 5's on the course (there are three now because they're playing 7 as a par 5 instead of a par 4 like they did in the last open, causing it to go from the hardest hole on the course to the easiest) are playing extremely easy and reachable, especially 4 and 7 on the front side. The 13th played 608 today, but there were still many guys who could reach in two and even those who didn't only had a wedge in to a benign green complex (the green slopes are not too severe, if they were, they would be borderline unfair when they get as fast as they most likely will later in the week. Bethpage's main defenses are long, thick rough, a tough course design, and it's length). However, outside of the par 5's, there are very few "easy" holes. The par 3's are all extremely tough (besides maybe the 14th) and the long par 4's like the 5th, 10th, 12th, 15th, and 16th playing well over par, mostly because if the fairway is missed then it makes it 10x harder to get that GIR.

I really didn't follow that many groups today besides Tiger and Rory's, but I felt that out of those two Rory was hitting the ball better but Tiger did what he did to put in a good score. Zack Johnson also put together a sneaky 3 under round, most likely because his putting was some of the best that I've ever seen. I would say, however, to beware of scores like Fowler's where it may look like a good 4 under, but when you miss a lot of greens like he did (he chipped in for birdie twice) and your ball striking isn't on, this course will run you down pretty quick.

So I'll report back tomorrow, hope you guys enjoy!

Has anyone noticed how night and day Paddy Harrington is?  Played 10-17 six under yesterday with no bogies and was +5 with no birdies today.  Makes me feel a bit better about having none of my last 5 rounds in the 80s (4 80- and one in the 90s)

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Could somebody please slap Rory and Luke to wake them up??

Driver: Mizuno MP-630 10.5* S-Flex

Irons: 4-6 Mizuno JPX 800 S-Flex, 7-P Mizuno MP-58 S-Flex

Wedge: Mizuno MP-10 56*

Putter: Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2

Ball: Gamer V2, Q-Star, e-6

They said the conditions changed from the morning group to the afternoon yesterday.  It's possible the course was playing easier when he played it yesterday.

Originally Posted by MEfree

Has anyone noticed how night and day Paddy Harrington is?  Played 10-17 six under yesterday with no bogies and was +5 with no birdies today.  Makes me feel a bit better about having none of my last 5 rounds in the 80s (4 80- and one in the 90s)

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!