IGNORED

Driving irons

njcl13
Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Back in the day I carried a one-iron. Back in the day I could hit a one-iron.

Hybrids now. Longest iron in my bag is a 4i, and I wouldn't add a longer iron in for the sole purpose for using it off the tee on a couple of short par-4s. I'll just the the 3-hybrid, my 200-yard club.

I have a Ping Eye 2 One Iron and end up using it every round I play. Depending on the course, trees, etc, It's a great tool for getting a long shot under low branches and up to the green or for tight par 4s where you need that yardage.   I hit mine about 200 yards with a relaxed swing but can also pull off shorter shots and a low trajectory pitch and run with it.  When I leave it at home I usually end up wishing I'd brought it.  Those old Ping one irons go for about $20 bucks on Ebay now.  Many players have abandoned the old long iron but it can be a versatile club.

I've got a 3 iron/hybrid that I use on narrow and short holes, especially if there is OB to the right and/or I have lost my faith in my driver & 3w.

If you practice it enough and can rely on it more than your bigger sticks, feel free to use it - avoid the trees however possible!

Ive owned a few Mizuno MP Fli-Hi hybrids, which are pretty much driving irons.  Ive always been a pretty good iron player, so for me there were great because they were easier to hit than a long iron and I felt more confident with them than I did with a wood or traditional hybrid.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I personally don't think that a one iron is necessary and it is pretty one demensional since you would have to be very good with it to hit it off the deck with any heigth to hold a green.

I am putting a 21 and a 24 degree Fli Hi in the bag because I strike irons much much more consistently than woods or hybrids. What made me make the change was the fact that here in Doha you must put the ball in the fairway at all costs so I had begun to hit 5 irons off the tee since it is my longest iron.

I hit my 5 iron 210 all day but if you hit the fairway here the ball will roll out up to 35 yards even with irons, so I am putting a 3 and 4 iron Fli Hi in the bag and I should be able to fly them 225 and 240 respectively and so that will put me in a lot of peoples driver range with roll out and I will be much more accurate because I have never found hybrid that I could hit consistently and much prefer iron swings.

I understand now why alot of golfers don't hit hybrids because, yes, I can hit them, but I cannot hit them accurately and I've probably only hit a handful of greens in my life with hybrids or woods.  Nevertheless find what works for you.

I carry an old Ping Eye2 1 iron and I love that club.  I tee off with it several times a round and hit low punch shots with it when I get in trouble.  I hit mine about 245 off the tee with a low boring trajectory and am able to work a slight fade or slight draw.  Dedicating a club to your bag for a few shots a round is something that may or may not be worth it to you, but in my case this one is worth it to me.  I love hitting long irons too....one of the few people left who still hits them.  For me, a hybrid is good for digging out of rough, but from a tee or clean lie, I prefer a long iron.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

Originally Posted by BugDude

I carry an old Ping Eye2 1 iron and I love that club.  I tee off with it several times a round and hit low punch shots with it when I get in trouble.  I hit mine about 245 off the tee with a low boring trajectory and am able to work a slight fade or slight draw.  Dedicating a club to your bag for a few shots a round is something that may or may not be worth it to you, but in my case this one is worth it to me.  I love hitting long irons too....one of the few people left who still hits them.  For me, a hybrid is good for digging out of rough, but from a tee or clean lie, I prefer a long iron.

wayyy somebody who likes using the longest iron,i thought they had become extinct

I would never use a "Driving Iron" or 1 iron, or anything close. If I'm not teeing off with my Driver (when it's the obvious choice), I'm typically clubbing down to lay up with either a >4i. I have seen some of seniors at local courses using them and my dad even owns one, but I myself could never hit one and wouldn't even try.

As a 26 handicap player I think you should forget this idea and get a nice 3 hybrid instead. It will be much easier to hit.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Had a 1i with my old Eye2's. Couldn't hit it very far despite lots of practice, tough to get the ball in the air long enough to travel more than 200y or so.

Dave :-)

I have a DI in the garage.. where it will stay.

Follow the technology..it's there to help. Hybrids!

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

I plan on adding one more hybrid in the future to my golf bag, but right now i play 4 iron as my longest club. really its rare for me to hit the hybrid or 4 iron at all. I might go for alot more wedges in the future..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by njcl13

wayyy somebody who likes using the longest iron,i thought they had become extinct

I'm somewhat of a dinasaur I guess.  Hitting long irons is becoming a lost art for weekend warriors.  I was playing with a couple guys I was paired up with a few weeks ago and pulled out my 1 iron on a 350 yard par 4.  Water left, trees right, and the hole curved around to the right.  I laced a perfect low fade down the center of the fairway that ended up exactly 100 yards out.  They both said if they could hit an iron like that, they'd never hit a wood.  I used that club 4 times that day, and each time I could not have hit the shot with any other club in my bag with that degree of accuracy or confidence.  I have a natural tendancy to hook, but the 1 iron I can work either direction.  Don't know why.

Originally Posted by BugDude

I'm somewhat of a dinosaur I guess.  Hitting long irons is becoming a lost art for weekend warriors.  I was playing with a couple guys I was paired up with a few weeks ago and pulled out my 1 iron on a 350 yard par 4.  Water left, trees right, and the hole curved around to the right.  I laced a perfect low fade down the center of the fairway that ended up exactly 100 yards out.  They both said if they could hit an iron like that, they'd never hit a wood.  I used that club 4 times that day, and each time I could not have hit the shot with any other club in my bag with that degree of accuracy or confidence.  I have a natural tendancy to hook, but the 1 iron I can work either direction.  Don't know why.

I carried a 2I well into the mid 90's, but now my longest iron is a 5I.  You play what works best for you.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I carried a 2I well into the mid 90's, but now my longest iron is a 5I.  You play what works best for you.

A life of golf is all about "adapt and overcome" as we get older.  I don't blast long drives anymore, or hit towering iron shots...but my short game has sure improved.  I also don't take foolish risks on the course anymore.  Playing smarter instead of harder since I can't overpower golf courses anymore.

Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!