IGNORED

What club, that you keep in your bag, do you use the least? And speculate why.

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 4243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What club in your bag do you use the least?

• The Hammer
    • 3 metal
    • 4-5 wood
    • 7 wood/ 3 hybrid
    • 3I
    • 4I
    • 5I
    • 6I
    • 7I
    • 8I
    • 9I
    • PW
    • SW
    • UW
    • LW
    • Putter

I thought I would strike up a thread on this after realizing I barely hit my 5 iron ever. Apparently I never hit my ball 180-190 to the hole.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3W,  I have no confidence with it. Id much rather hit my 19* hybrid and know that Im going 210 down the middle.

I havent had enough coffee yet, I accidently voted PW, which according to my stats, its the 2nd least used club.  No idea why.

5-iron. Just never seems to be the right club at my home course. Second would probably be the 6-iron.

BTW - I was not aware there was a club between the SW and LW.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

5-iron. Just never seems to be the right club at my home course. Second would probably be the 6-iron.

Utility Wedge was an option on my ping set up. Which was a club btw the SW and PW. I guess if someone is using something called something else, they can throw it into that pile.

4 iron, and I don't have to speculate as to why. I completely suck at hitting 4 iron. I hit it anywhere from 165 to 190 and I slice it or pull it 9 times out of 10. I hit 5 iron 170 and my hybrid 190 to 200, so I just hit an easy hybrid when 5 iron isn't enough club. I have no clue as to why a club that is half an inch longer and 3 degrees less loft than my 5 iron can be so much harder for me to hit.

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Quote:

Utility Wedge was an option on my ping set up. Which was a club btw the SW and PW. I guess if someone is using something called something else, they can throw it into that pile.

Sorry, I thought you had them listed in order.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I voted 5 wood. I do hit 5 wood but only on 1 specific hole off the tee. I rarely seem to have that 230-235 yard approach shot. I hit 3h fairly often off the tee or from 220/225 or the 4h from 210-215.

A couple of rounds ago I did pull the 5 wood on a par 5 and hit it just past pin high just off the left side of the green, left an easy chip but still 2 putted for par. so it does get pulled just not that often.

It seems a lot of people dont carry a 5 wood, but it gaps really nicely between my 3 wood and 3h and i don't feel like a lob wedge would do me much good so i don't drop the 5w. I guess if i get to the point I want the lob, the 5w will get the boot.

5 wood for me.  I much prefer to use my three iron and be a little short, but straight (lately, anyway).  I have actually been teeing up the three iron on anything where I would normally use the driver, as well.

edit:  As for speculation, there's nothing to speculate..... I have just been hitting all my woods like crap since breaking my ribs, even though there is no longer any pain or discomfort in my swing.  I thing too much descending blow practice with my irons has had a negative effect on my driver/wood swing. (lol, I suppose that's a speculation, after all!!!!)

I carry a 17deg 4W that I rarely use (I don't carry a 3W). I carry 230yd with my 7W and 275yd with my driver and rarely seem to find myself in need of the 250yd shot of the 4W. It probably has to do a lot with the courses I play though. I remember on my trip to Florida I pulled it out a lot more, long holes with huge fairways aren't the norm around here.

Brad

Sorry, I thought you had them listed in order.

I did but that one was an after thought.

It was a toss up between the lob wedge and the 4i. The 4 only really comes into play keeping it low punching out from under trees and such. The lob wedge just goes into time out when Im playing a course with kikuyu grass roughs and greensides

I went with my 4 iron, but this was not an obvious answer as I hit it 6 times yesterday at Keystone`s River Course- 5 times off the tee on par 4s and once on a par 5 2nd shot.

3 of those were tee balls where I have been hitting 5 wood most of the season on lay-up holes, but with firmer fairways thought the 4 iron made more sense and all 3 worked out nicely.  A 4th was on a hole I usually hit 3 wood, but have been OB right and left there recently and figured the 4i would help avoid that- it did as I left myself with about 120 and made a birdie after a good gap wedge.  The other tee ball was a hole where I hit 3 or 5 wood when the tees are back, but a 4-6 from the up tee depending on wind direction- pushed it left into a lateral water hazard.

I was playing the blues, which is where I normally play from.  From the blacks, I would hit it less often off the tee on par 4s, but there is a par 3s where I would usually use it and another two 3s where it becomes a possibility.

On the Ranch course, there is one par 4 that I will use it when the tee is up, but it tends to stay in my bag a lot when I play there unless I get the right distance for it on an approach shot which is only a possibility on a handful of holes..

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

For some reason, my 9i.... I had to give it some thought, but I only hit it about once every other round. It goes 125-130 yds.

Not sure why. The courses/tees I play have only a couple short par 3s - and these are supershort, like a PW or GW. On shorter uphill approach shots with a cross wind or headwind, I will sometimes choke down on a 7i and hit a punch to keep ball lower.

9i gets hit several times a round if I play one of the par 3 courses in the area. On full length courses, however, it rarely leaves the bag.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

6 iron. Rarely used. Just not at that yardage much. Has been the same my whole golf "career", some 35 years.

R11s driver

R11 3 wood

Glide sole design 5 wood

Cleveland CG16 irons

Vokey SM4 48*, Vokey SM4 52*, Vokey SM4 56* wedges

Yes! Eleanor putter

4-iron because I rarely find myself needing to hit a 210 yard shot.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

19* hybrid soon to be replaced with a 52* wedge. Too similar to a 3w so no real need. Usually only hit it out of fairway bunkers when a 3w would be 10-15y too much.

Dave :-)

It was my 60° wedge, but that has been pulled.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Originally Posted by Willie Malay

6 iron. Rarely used. Just not at that yardage much. Has been the same my whole golf "career", some 35 years.

I answered 3W because I haven't been hitting it that well lately, I've been hitting my driver pretty well, and generally I play courses that are longer but not super tight, so even if I'm hitting my 3W well the slightly better accuracy is usually not as useful as the extra yardage from the driver.

But #2 would have been 6i.  I actually hit my 6i really well, but for some reason I'm rarely at that yardage.  I think it's because par 3s are either long par 3s, hence a club longer than 6i for me, or short par 3s, and a club shorter than 6i, but I rarely see those mid-yardage par 3s.  And then on par 4s I never have an approach shot as long as a 6i unless I smack one into the trees, and then it's usually longer than a 6i.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 4243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!