IGNORED

What club, that you keep in your bag, do you use the least? And speculate why.

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 4243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What club in your bag do you use the least?

• The Hammer
    • 3 metal
    • 4-5 wood
    • 7 wood/ 3 hybrid
    • 3I
    • 4I
    • 5I
    • 6I
    • 7I
    • 8I
    • 9I
    • PW
    • SW
    • UW
    • LW
    • Putter

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3W although I usually will hit it once a round on the course I play the most.  My 3H is more useful and off the fairway I will only lose 5 yards at most.  All the other clubs will be used depending on the yardage.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't use driver much.  Courses around here aren't that long so giving myself 60 yards in on a par-4 doesn't buy me much over a full wedge by taking iron off the tee.  I think I've hit that thing once in two months.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

My 5 iron doesn't see to much action hanging out with me. I haven't really added up what I'm doing right or wrong that makes the 175 yard distance not show up, but I rarely hit my 5 iron. My 4 iron is beat to crap, and the 5 is still looking new. Thinking about it, I don't hit my 6 or 7 that much either.

Sincerely, Jim

I seldom hit my 9 iron on the course. I find myself rarely winding up at a distance that requires its use. Of course, sometimes I just make an unwise club selection, but most of the time its simply that I am close enough for a pitching wedge or far enough that I have to go with the 8i.

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Originally Posted by Stewie007

I seldom hit my 9 iron on the course. I find myself rarely winding up at a distance that requires its use. Of course, sometimes I just make an unwise club selection, but most of the time its simply that I am close enough for a pitching wedge or far enough that I have to go with the 8i.

Same though I use mine for the short par 3's all the time. On the course not so much.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Same though I use mine for the short par 3's all the time. On the course not so much.

That is primarily where I run into using my 9i. However, recently, a lot of the course I have been playing either don't have many short Par 3s, or there is enough elevation to distort the distance range that I want. When I'm facing down a short 3 with significant negative elevation relative to the tee box I'll mix it up between the 9i and PW depending on just how far it is; that's typically where I run into problems. Conditions and my overall gameplay of the day can make it a good or wise decision making the difference between overshooting with the 9i or undershooting with the PW.

That said, I probably also could have voted for the Lob Wedge.... since I've become allergic to that club.... I have yet to master its use.... so I usually leave it for the practice chipping area. Not yet comfortable with it.... hehehe

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

EIther my 5W or my LW, which is in my bag at the time - I seem to be switching between these two at the moment.

The 5W because my 3h almost always does the job on par 5's; the LW because an open SW is usually good for flop shots etc.  Right now I'm going with the LW because I'm trying to improve my play around the greens.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

EIther my 5W or my LW, which is in my bag at the time - I seem to be switching between these two at the moment.

The 5W because my 3h almost always does the job on par 5's; the LW because an open SW is usually good for flop shots etc.  Right now I'm going with the LW because I'm trying to improve my play around the greens.

I voted 5-iron, then used it 3 times my next 9-hole round. If I don't like a club it stays home, but eventually they all get a turn.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Definitely the 3-Iron. My 4 iron goes about 205 and my 3-hybrid is my 220 club. So if I am in between those two distances, I will usually just play it long or short, depending on where the trouble is. I just don't have a ton of confidence standing over the 3-iron for some reason, even off the tee.

A close second is my 60 degree lob wedge, which I only hit in certain situations out of specific lies. Whenever possible, I opt for the 56.

It has to be the 3-Wood without a doubt. It's because I have Pro Launch Red stiffs in all my other woods/hybrids, but couldn't find a reasonably priced 3-wood with this in it. However, now they don't sell the regular Pro Launch Reds anymore, and now they just have the "speed coated" ones or whatever that cost $70 or so a pop compared to about $30 that they used to be. I'm stuck with a Ping regular, which is really a soft, for now so I hook it like mad.

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

My lob wedge which I'm not sure why I even carry it most of the time. I only use it when a real demand for a flop shot or a tough bunker shot comes up which rarely happens so I never use it.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I'd have to say my 7i for the only reason that I just rarely ever seem to be that specific length from the hole. It's weird because I hit my 7 iron around 150-165ish.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Originally Posted by Big C

Definitely the 3-Iron. My 4 iron goes about 205 and my 3-hybrid is my 220 club. So if I am in between those two distances, I will usually just play it long or short, depending on where the trouble is. I just don't have a ton of confidence standing over the 3-iron for some reason, even off the tee.

A close second is my 60 degree lob wedge, which I only hit in certain situations out of specific lies. Whenever possible, I opt for the 56.

You have a nice manageable gap between your 3h and 4 iron (220-205 = 15 )

Is there really a need for a club between them?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!