IGNORED

Fixing divots on greens

Sai-Jin
Note: This thread is 4221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a friend who has been fixing his divots by stabbing and pushing down on the divot handle and now, he's twisting his fork. I kept telling him not to do that and do it in reverse instead and he wouldn't listen because our other friend who was the state's high school champ did it the same way. It's bothering me... I remember where some of his divots were and I showed him the bald dead spot... Still deaf ears. What would you ppl do in my situation?

Not much you can do if someone doesnt want to listen to you.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by Sai-Jin

I have a friend who has been fixing his divots by stabbing and pushing down on the divot handle and now, he's twisting his fork.

I kept telling him not to do that and do it in reverse instead and he wouldn't listen because our other friend who was the state's high school champ did it the same way.

It's bothering me... I remember where some of his divots were and I showed him the bald dead spot... Still deaf ears.

What would you ppl do in my situation?

You mean he's hitting shots off the green and leaving a divot?

Or do you meant he's fixing pitch marks made by the ball landing on the green?

Some people are untrainable.  I've tried the same thing before and some people just refuse to admit that their way is wrong.  I don't know what you can do.  Give him an "E" for effort and keep after him.  At least he's making an attempt, even if it's wrong.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He hit the green leaving a ball mark and I told him not to push down on the handle and rip the grass upwards.

It's just annoying that the course I play at basically look like a polka dot green with dead ball marks all over the place.

Originally Posted by VMAN

Tell him to pay attention to how the pros do it, not state am champs.

A lot of them don't do it properly either. It helps if you have a tool best suited to your particular greens. They make different styles for a reason. Speaking of tools, the OP's friend sounds like one.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

his tool is just a basic one. It has 2 prongs and that's about it.

I use the Scotty Cameron Pivot tool and I asked the pro-shop to teach me how to use it.

So far all the marks I fixed were healed perfectly...

But yea... it's annoying to see these ball marks all over the place on the green, specially ones that disrupts the ball's path.

YOU are entitled to fix to your satisfaction any ball mark on the green. Does not matter who made the mark, or when,  nor where the mark is in relation to your ball or the line of your putt. You may fix any mark on the green before or after you make your putt.

I believe all of this is accurate but i have been known to be mistaken in the past. Fix your marks, sink your putts: you can do no more.

There is an abundance of information and pics on the net about pulling up on the handle and not down. Find a bunch and email them to him every day until he gets it right.

dak4n6

I post this a few times a year at my club. Our members are lazy. Its sad. I've always seen fixing a ball mark as something fun a badge of honor. I've hit the green! I'll be happy to fix my mark! And that that turns into, there's another one, oh, and there's one more...

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Flag the cart girl and order beers. :beer:

Lol! Well put!

In my OGIO bag: Driver: King Cobra ZL 10.5 3 Wood: Ping i20 15 3 Hybrid: Ping i20 20 4 Hybrid: Ping i20 23 5-PW: Mizuno MP60 Project X 5.5 52-56-60: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 2009 Oil Can Putter: Powerbilt EX 200 MA330 Ball: Bridgestone B330RXS

Originally Posted by Ben

I post this a few times a year at my club. Our members are lazy. Its sad. I've always seen fixing a ball mark as something fun a badge of honor. I've hit the green! I'll be happy to fix my mark! And that that turns into, there's another one, oh, and there's one more...

This is EXACTLY the picture that is attached to our golf carts and it's on HIS side of the seat too!!!!

Lord, people can be such bigots.

I played at a PGA course today and 3 of my puts missed because there was a tiny dead ball mark that made it jump off course a little.

Just be patient and show him the techniques greens keepers use.  He will eventually get it.  At least he is trying.  I still don't understand why others don't even fix their own mark.  It is pathetic.  I usually fix mine + one other while someone else is lining up their putt.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by Sai-Jin

I don't fix other ppl's anymore... I'm not their servant.

So you prefer to just let the course go to hell then?  Your attitude is almost as bad as that of the players who won't repair their own.  Or maybe you have an infirmity that prevents you from bending over more than once per green?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 4221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!