IGNORED

Where should I move? Golf course input required.

Note: This thread is 4204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Stay away from Fayetteville... Live in Moore County. Its small but has everything you need. Drive times to longstreet gate are below... Pinehust 35 to 40... I lived in No 6 and it was 35 however if you live out on Hwy 5 expect to add 10 min Southern Pines / Aberdeen 25 to 30 Vass 20 but its a little country Whispering Pines 25 where I live currently and love it The guys in my unit that live in fayetteville still drive 20+ due to traffic at the gate etc. Plus if you have school aged children you def want to live in Moore. Just stay away from Foxfire, West End, or Seven Lakes. If you want some more details just shoot me a pm... On a tablet atm so hate typing.

Stay away from Fort Walton Beach. There are a few nice courses, and ill post a few for you to check out. But the town as a whole sucks... and i am really not a fan of either base (I work on hurlburt) some courses to check out would be...

Hidden Creek

Shalimar Pointe

Tiger Point

Scenic Hills

Heres a link for all for of those.

http://www.emeraldcoastgolftrail.com/course/emerald.asp?HID=645&

2 Courses at FWB Muni

http://www.fwb.org/index.php/golf-club

Hurlburt's Gator Lakes Course

http://www.myhurlburt.com/gatorlakes/index.html

Eglins Golf Course

http://eglinforcesupport.com/activity/index.html?GOLF_?refreshed20121020083450

There is a good 15 or so more within the local 50 miles i havnt really played them. The coast down through Destin is covered with courses.

Why are you shying away from North Carolina? Sounds like you think of the NC of 30 years ago.

Fayetteville is next door to Fort Bragg army base, and the town has a population of about 320,000. Good-size town in the mountains, great scenery. And, you are about 60 miles south of the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill research triangle and university cluster.

North Carolina has hundreds of colleges and universities in state - not to mention hundreds of golf courses - and ranks as one of the most progressive states in the South (even when long-time Sen. Jesse Helms was in office).

I have attended a three conferences in NC in recent years, and always found the people friendly and industrious.

Originally Posted by David in FL

Anywhere in Florida as a first choice. Year 'round golf and NO state income tax!

Don't worry about hurricanes. They get a lot of media, but with a few exceptions, they're just not a big concern.

Hurricanes are over-hyped, except when they flatten your house. Do you want your biggest weather worry to be hurricanes, or winter snowfall? Think about it...

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Correction: Fayetteville NC has population of 210,000; overall county tops 300,000.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, there's nothing mountains about Fayetteville.  It may be on the edge of the Sandhills, but it doesn't geographically represent "Sandhills".  Once you get out closer to Moore County, you see the hills, but not even close to mountains.

The area is nice, lots to do and lots of golf, but I wouldn't live in Fayetteville except for a couple neighborhoods.  Baywood is just to the East, and has it's own golf course in the neighborhood, as does King's Grant, Anderson Creek and a couple others.  Anderson Creek is a gated community and the course is typically in great condition.  King's Grant is just below that, the course is decent to good, with Baywood pulling up the rear.  Baywood isn't gated, the course wasn't in great shape a couple years ago and actually shut down for about a year before it was bought.  I haven't played since it reopened though.  The houses there are pretty affordable, because a lot of people took those interest only mortgages and lost their houses, so there's a bunch of foreclosures in there that are very nice houses, they sold for about $350-500k brand new, which is high for this area.  They're much cheaper than that now.

Moore County is nice, but I went the other way.  I live in Robeson County, in a tiny little village called Lumber Bridge.  I work on Ft. Bragg, and it's 45 minutes to get to work, 35 minutes to get home because of traffic flow.  Like was said before, you can live in Fayetteville and it take 25-30 minutes to get to Bragg, so the extra 20 minute drive is well worth it to live in a small, country area well away from Fayettenam.  The main problem with Fayetteville itself if that there's really no zoning.  You can have $350k houses and right on the other side of the fence is a ghetto trailer park.  The housing market didn't take much of a hit here, except for a few of the higher priced neighborhoods, and they're still building a lot of new homes out in Hoke County that are nice and reasonably priced.  $175k will get you a pretty nice 1800ish square ft house with garage in a nice neighborhood out there.  For $225k, there's a lot of really nice 2400ish square ft. houses with a good sized lot in a private community right across from Bayonet, which is a pretty nice golf course.

Out where I live, the housing market was hit, but I took it as an advantage and bought a 2200 square ft. house on 2 acres of land for $80k.

Note: This thread is 4204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!