IGNORED

i20 Iron Problem

cipher
Note: This thread is 3260 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got a set of i20 irons earlier this year and am having a problem.  I love them, but two of them have bulges that are starting to form on the edges.  It looks like they might be starting to de-laminate or something.  Has anyone else seen this?  I have an email into ping and will let you know what they say.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a common occurrence. Contact PING, they are very aware of it.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Have you heard anything as to what they are doing about it and if they can make the clubs not to do this?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Have you heard anything as to what they are doing about it and if they can make the clubs not to do this?

Had a friend send his back and they replace them with the new Ansers. Simple...call them.

-Landon

Contact ping and they will replace the irons with the bubbling

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I already contacted ping yesterday and they got back to me quickly.  I have to send them back to their repair department.  I will let you guys know what they decide or contact me with.  Personally I believe there is some kind of issue with the satin chrome laminate or whatever is on these for aesthetics.  I am not all together confident that this will not continue to happen if they just replace my irons that are having this problem, but we will see.

Nate

Looks like the plating ( are they plated?) is bubbling up.  I had 2 irons in my KZG set do that. KZG replaced them.

R11s driver

R11 3 wood

Glide sole design 5 wood

Cleveland CG16 irons

Vokey SM4 48*, Vokey SM4 52*, Vokey SM4 56* wedges

Yes! Eleanor putter

I think that they are plated.  Not sure though.  I sent them off today, and they won't get there until the end of next week with the holiday on Monday.  It will probably be about a week and a half before I let you guys know what happens.  I had to call and get a repair number, and give them some information.  I told them that I am not completely confident that this will not just continue to happen, and the they told me that this is a rare problem.  I am not so sure that this will be the case in a year or so. They also said that the will contact me with a resolutionn once they have inspected the clubs.  So far I am down $20 shipping and no irons for at least two weeks. It is a good thing I decided not to sign up for a state tournament that I was going to play in next week.  I

Nate

I think that they are plated.  Not sure though.  I sent them off today, and they won't get there until the end of next week with the holiday on Monday.  It will probably be about a week and a half before I let you guys know what happens.  I had to call and get a repair number, and give them some information.  I told them that I am not completely confident that this will not just continue to happen, and the they told me that this is a rare problem.  I am not so sure that this will be the case in a year or so. They also said that the will contact me with a resolutionn once they have inspected the clubs.  So far I am down $20 shipping and no irons for at least two weeks. :loco:   It is a good thing I decided not to sign up for a state tournament that I was going to play in next week.  I

NO WAY I would pay for return shipping!!! It is called delamination.

-Landon

From what I have read and heard from the Ping rep was that it was an issue with earlier batches so you shouldn't have any issues with replacements.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Did they say how the separation starts? For example, is it from the impact of hitting balls, or club chatter, something like that?

Nate

Wow this is the first I've heard of this problem of delimitation.  I've had my i20's since they first came out and I haven't seen any issues, and they've hit a lot of balls on a grass/sandy range.  Some of the satin chrome was worn off a little on the face and sole of the 7 iron but there hasn't been any "bubbling".

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Interesting read, I had thought about maybe upgrading to these next season, but may stray if this is a reoccuring issue.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

I played today with mine and I noticed that my Sand Wedge is also doing this on the toe, and it appears as if it is starting on my 9 and 7.  I have played about 50 rounds on them since I got them.  Looks like I will be contacting Ping soon.  I would even pay the difference to get the Anser irons......

I am thinking about asking about that as well. I just don't really like the idea of over laminate irons any more. I have only about 25 rounds on my i20's before it happened.

Nate

Here are some pics of my i20's as you can see I've hit a few shots with them No bubbling problems.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3260 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!