IGNORED

Shorts...

Note: This thread is 4160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm 6'4 and cannot stand short shorts... I'm looking for golf shorts and reason being, they're much lighter than your average khaki short and come in a variety of colors or patterns but can't seem to find anything that is long enough. I'd like them at the very least to hang over the middle of my knee cap while standing straight up.

Any other tall guys out there found anything I can try? What inseam length should I be looking for?

the easiest answer would be to get yourself a tailors tape and measure your inseam. I don't know if you'll find many golf shorts with an inseam longer than 12, though.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

I '6"5 and I am happy when shorts go to my knee.  Haven't tried the nike and new adidas golf shorts, but they look a little bit longer?  Only problem is they are $70, unless the golf shop is having a sale.

Golf shorts are getting longer, but middle of the kneecap is really long.  I'm 5'11", and my nike shorts sit just at the top of the knee.  And that's a long short.

Maybe get some pants made for short fat people?

BTW the nike dry-fit tech shorts are great.  So great, in fact, that I just bought a few pairs of their pants in the same style.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like the looks of the Nike shorts myself but being 6'3" they are too short for me. I dont like shorts to stop above the knee. Snake Eyes makes a decent length short and if you have JC Penney in your area the Arizona brand shorts fit me perfectly right below the knee. And you cant beat the price at $14/pair. I loaded up on every color they had. Im wearing the white ones in my avatar pic.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by Shaggie13

I '6"5 and I am happy when shorts go to my knee.  Haven't tried the nike and new adidas golf shorts, but they look a little bit longer?  Only problem is they are $70, unless the golf shop is having a sale.

Budget Golf has really good prices on Nike and Adidas shorts. I order stuff from them alot.

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

I like the looks of the Nike shorts myself but being 6'3" they are too short for me. I dont like shorts to stop above the knee. Snake Eyes makes a decent length short and if you have JC Penney in your area the Arizona brand shorts fit me perfectly right below the knee. And you cant beat the price at $14/pair. I loaded up on every color they had. Im wearing the white ones in my avatar pic.

Seriously below the knee?  You're 4 inches taller than me; my 11" inseam shorts stop right at the top of the knee.  Bottom of the knee would be 13".  So for you to get shorts below the knee, they'd have to be at least a 15" inseam.  Those aren't shorts--they're capri pants.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

Seriously below the knee?  You're 4 inches taller than me; my 11" inseam shorts stop right at the top of the knee.  Bottom of the knee would be 13".  So for you to get shorts below the knee, they'd have to be at least a 15" inseam.  Those aren't shorts--they're capri pants.

Uh yeah seriously. Call them what you like, but Im comfortable.

Originally Posted by DufnerDip

So I'm 6'4 and cannot stand short shorts... I'm looking for golf shorts and reason being, they're much lighter than your average khaki short and come in a variety of colors or patterns but can't seem to find anything that is long enough. I'd like them at the very least to hang over the middle of my knee cap while standing straight up.

Any other tall guys out there found anything I can try? What inseam length should I be looking for?

Travis Mathew makes very nice golf shorts.  I'd recommend you check them out... Every short I buy from now on will be from them... As their pocket layout are genius - and they look nice and tailored.  I'm not tall - but they are worth the money IMO.

http://www.travismathew.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c;=8

Note, the model that they use is 6'2" tall - so you should be able to get a good idea of the length of the short.

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Budget Golf has really good prices on Nike and Adidas shorts. I order stuff from them alot.

Thanks for that info.

Went to the Nike outlet store after I got a Nike gift card and bought two pairs of golf dri-fit shorts.  Regular $65 bucks got them for $35 a piece.  Also, to the original poster's question, the shorts cover the top part of my knees, so they are quite long.  I have long legs and wear a 36" inseam in pants.  Hope this helps.

Gotta agree with k-troop.  Below the knee shorts on a 6'4" guy just look like capris or back to the future mid 90s hip hop style.

To be a bit helpful though, if perhaps part of the problem with shorter golf shorts is that they often look like shorts only a preppy suburban dad would want to wear, a lot of surf companies have started making shorts they call hybrid or walk shorts (as opposed to board shorts) that look much better (to my eye) and are feel even lighter and breath more than my very light and breathable nike golf shorts.  I picked up a pair of these the other day when I saw them on sale:

http://shop.ripcurl.com/us/shop/categories/guys/shorts/mirage-less-than-zero-boardwalk/

Inseam's 11", though I'm 6'2+" and they come down to about the top of my knee.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by mdl

To be a bit helpful though, if perhaps part of the problem with shorter golf shorts is that they often look like shorts only a preppy suburban dad would want to wear, a lot of surf companies have started making shorts they call hybrid or walk shorts (as opposed to board shorts) that look much better (to my eye) and are feel even lighter and breath more than my very light and breathable nike golf shorts.  I picked up a pair of these the other day when I saw them on sale:

http://shop.ripcurl.com/us/shop/categories/guys/shorts/mirage-less-than-zero-boardwalk/

Inseam's 11", though I'm 6'2+" and they come down to about the top of my knee.

I can second this recommendation to look at the "surf" brands like Hurley, O'Neill, etc. More selection and cheaper prices. Polyester is good for shorts it is light and it dries fast. Retailers still look at golfers from the perspective of a third-world street vendor: the same products cost you more because they know you've got more money.

If you shop online, you want to buy somewhere that gives full measurements like this: Waist Measurement: 32 in/ Outseam: 21 in/ Inseam: 11 in/ Front Rise: 12 in/ Back Rise: 14 in/ Leg Opening: 22 in. Basically you get out of it what you put in, don't be a lazyass, get your best fitting shorts out and measure them with a ruler. If you find some that are perfect, go straight back and order another pair in a different color. For some reason shorts have given me trouble in the past and I had to learn all this the hard way.

• 4 weeks later...

If you don't mind a cargo pocket (and I prefer one or two for golfing), the Prana Zion shorts are great for golf. Lightweight stretch nylon is nicely tailored but also very comfortable due to the 2% spandex. The inseam on size M is 12-13 inches and I think they look great. By far my favorite shorts for almost every activity, and you can even swim in them as the nylon fabric dries fast as well.

http://www.amazon.com/prAna-Stretch-Short-Brown-Medium/dp/B005W4KYM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1348848106&sr;=8-1&keywords;=prana+zion+shorts

Originally Posted by LeftyGomez

If you don't mind a cargo pocket (and I prefer one or two for golfing), the Prana Zion shorts are great for golf. Lightweight stretch nylon is nicely tailored but also very comfortable due to the 2% spandex. The inseam on size M is 12-13 inches and I think they look great. By far my favorite shorts for almost every activity, and you can even swim in them as the nylon fabric dries fast as well.

http://www.amazon.com/prAna-Stretch-Short-Brown-Medium/dp/B005W4KYM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1348848106&sr;=8-1&keywords;=prana+zion+shorts

Cargo shorts are not acceptable for golf.  Infact, a lot of courses wont even let you on if you show up with cargo shorts.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Well, I've never had a problem with the Zion shorts at the courses I play, even at charity events at private clubs, and they don't look like "baggy cargo shorts with clown pockets" in any way; they look like tailored knee length shorts with a subtle cargo pocket that most people don't even notice. I suspect that a course that allows shorts at all (which includes every course I ever play) would not bat an eye at the looks of these, unless they have a cargo-Nazi attitude, which may well exist at some, but certainly not at most, courses these days.

Note: This thread is 4160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!