IGNORED

Shorts...

Note: This thread is 4163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Its because they look sloppy.  Fair or not, thats just the way it is.  Just like a lot of nicer courses have rules requiring collared shirts.  If you cant stand to give up your beloved cargo shorts, go play your local muni.  Im sure theyd be more than happy to take your money.

These are not the shorts I own (the pocket on mine is actually far less subtle), but I might just buy these and post pictures of myself wearing them at private clubs and exclusive resort golf courses throughout Hawaii.  Care to take a bet on how many places turn me away?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Again big difference between those and these.  When people mention cargo shorts this is what I think of.  I'd be shocked if anyone told you those Nike shorts weren't acceptable at a private country club.

Originally Posted by k-troop

These are not the shorts I own (the pocket on mine is actually far less subtle), but I might just buy these and post pictures of myself wearing them at private clubs and exclusive resort golf courses throughout Hawaii.  Care to take a bet on how many places turn me away?

Joe Paradiso

I used to be a fan of cargo shorts... But then I realized - that I never - ever used the side pockets on the legs.  Plus, as others have said - when you wash them... They become weathered looking and a wrinkled mess.  So all of my more recent purchases in the shorts department have been standard looking... Here's the recent purchase I made.

Originally Posted by colin007

$78?

yikes...

Yeah they are a little expensive.  But I usually have a small rotation and wear them all the time.  So they'll get good use.  Also, you get what you pay for when it comes to clothing.

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Its because they look sloppy.  Fair or not, thats just the way it is.  Just like a lot of nicer courses have rules requiring collared shirts.  If you cant stand to give up your beloved cargo shorts, go play your local muni.  Im sure theyd be more than happy to take your money.

In my experience even a lot of crappy courses have rules about wearing a collared shirt & no jeans. Cargo shorts are accepted at most of the public courses I have played including a large number of the nicer ones. The only time I don't wear them is when the course posts something explicitly stating you can't wear them or it is a private course.

Yay! It's turned into this thread again!

If you take even half-way competent care of your cargo shorts, they'll stay in perfectly fine condition. They're not intrinsically any worse than non-cargo shorts.

*Most* golf courses have no problem with them, in my experience. Some do, but not nearly most.

Now can we have the collared shirt debate again?

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Again big difference between those and these.  When people mention cargo shorts this is what I think of.  I'd be shocked if anyone told you those Nike shorts weren't acceptable at a private country club.

These shorts have nothing to do with poor laundry practices--they come from the store looking like that.  And I'll agree that they're not what most would consider acceptable golf attire.  Good private clubs would ask you to change.  Very, very few public courses--even $300 dollar daily fee courses--would turn you away.  I see guys wearing these all the time, usually with an untucked polo shirt.

And it seems that we all agree on this point except Gajin, who is clearly wrong.

Kevin

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I used to be a fan of cargo shorts... But then I realized - that I never - ever used the side pockets on the legs.  Plus, as others have said - when you wash them... They become weathered looking and a wrinkled mess.  So all of my more recent purchases in the shorts department have been standard looking... Here's the recent purchase I made.

I checked out that site, and those are cool shorts.  I'd probably buy them--they're perfect for Hawaii, where you never know when you might have an urge to go jump in the ocean.  $78 is a little steep--I certainly wouldn't pay that without being able to try them on first.

Kevin

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Travis Mathew makes very nice golf shorts.  I'd recommend you check them out... Every short I buy from now on will be from them... As their pocket layout are genius - and they look nice and tailored.  I'm not tall - but they are worth the money IMO.

http://www.travismathew.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c;=8

Note, the model that they use is 6'2" tall - so you should be able to get a good idea of the length of the short.

Whats different about the pockets?

• 5 weeks later...

Allow me to help clear this up for everyone:

Cargo shorts and pants have the potential to look sloppy.  Shorts that drop below the top of the knee look sloppy the longer they get.  Longer shorts with wide leg openings make you look like a Dbag or something in the same way that a straight-brimmed cap (and most Puma attire) does.  Sorry Rickie, we love you, but a lot of clubs say "no gang colors", and if Tony the Tiger had a gang, you'd be in it:

Courses have rules about cargo shorts and length so they don't have to come out and say you can't wear these, from Rocawear:

But these are fine:

Are there any questions, or do we have to go on about how no one asks you to leave when you wear your tasteful cargo shorts?

I would like to thank my many sponsors:

Cobra Amp 9.5* Driver; Aldila RIP Stiff 55g shaft

Titleist 904f 17* 4W; S300 shaft

Callaway X-22 3-P, reg flex, 1/2" long, 2* up

Titleist Vokey 252.08 & 256.14 wedges; standard

Ping Anser Putter (because it gives me the confidence I need to 4 putt)

Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo grips all around

Top-flite Gamer V2 ball

I'm 6'4", 210lbs, 34yo.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm 6'5" tall and wear golf shorts all summer long, until it gets cool enough for pants. I have golf shorts from Puma, Adidas, Under Armor and Oakley that all come to the knee or below. I just think they are making golf shorts longer these days. Also, there is almost never an inseam length with golf shorts any more. Just a waist size. The length is usually tied in to the waist size though. So if you are 6'4" tall with a 28" waist, you are going to have trouble finding shorts which reach your knees. Also, eat a sandwich.

Note: This thread is 4163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!