IGNORED

AP2, MP 59, MP 69, or Ping

Audaxi
Note: This thread is 4236 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Went to Golfsmith today, a different one than last time, and it was a complete waste of time. Their mat was so used it was like hitting from a divot, and I couldn't move the launch monitor because it was bolted to the floor. Ended up hitting a lot of stuff fat and thin, and decided it wasn't worth it when the person who got the clubs started giving me swing tips, "correcting" the adjustments I had made to try and hit it out of the deep grove in the mat. However, when I did manage to catch a shot solidly, I noticed that the AP2's were still consistently 1 club shorter than my current Eye 2's. Not sure what it was, but I guess those clubs just don't work for me. Sort of sad since I was going into there hoping to like them, but I hit the S56 and MP-69 better than either the i20 or the MP-59/64, so that was consistent.

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

One thing that you need to remember is that you don't have to shape the ball left-right and right-left repeatedly. Professionals can shape the ball, however they typically rely on their bread-and-butter shot. Such as Tiger playing his slight fade again for example.

I think too many golfers vest all of this interest in getting creative and fancy with shaping the ball, when they should focus on a consistent and predictable ball flight. If you have a slight fade, I don't see how numerous draws would be absolutely impeccable and necessary during your course of play.

I lost strokes on my game by simplifying my game, personally. This is just my humble opinion though.

I would go with whatever set of irons reduces your dispersion and focus on consistency, rather than your imagination and creativity when it comes to pulling off shots that have a low percentage of success.

I'm bought the mp 59. I think we are fouling ourselves to go with the mp 69. Just off center hits result in 5-10 yards distance lose.

The feel is great of them. AP2 didn't like the feel as much. I tried the ping's but there is something about head design that i don't like.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

I just got the MP-69's w/ KBS shafts and in love with them!  What a fantastic iron!  They took my game to whole new level, and I came from Big Bertha Fusions GI irons believe it or not....    I find the MP-69's somewhat forgiving and not intimidating at all, but absolutely incredible when struck on the sweet spot.     I highly recommend others try them out.

Originally Posted by FLGulfCoaster

I just got the MP-69's w/ KBS shafts and in love with them!  What a fantastic iron!  They took my game to whole new level, and I came from Big Bertha Fusions GI irons believe it or not....    I find the MP-69's somewhat forgiving and not intimidating at all, but absolutely incredible when struck on the sweet spot.     I highly recommend others try them out.

Yeah, these are the one's I think I've decided on from my testing. Only concern left is whether to go with KBS Stiff, Project X 5.5, or Project X 6.0... They all work so well and feel amazing.

My bag:

Just remember when trying out all the different clubs to check lofts.  AP2 8irons are 39 degrees, MP-59's are 38..   JPX800Pros are 37,  Piranha V*s are 40.

Point being.. You may think you are hitting something a lot further and may indeed be.. but make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

As to the topic at hand.. Nothing feels like a Mizuno (except for a Piranha which is even softer and better feeling imho)

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by cliffj

Just remember when trying out all the different clubs to check lofts.  AP2 8irons are 39 degrees, MP-59's are 38..   JPX800Pros are 37,  Piranha V*s are 40.

Point being.. You may think you are hitting something a lot further and may indeed be.. but make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

As to the topic at hand.. Nothing feels like a Mizuno (except for a Piranha which is even softer and better feeling imho)

Hmmm...I might have to try those. Do you know if places like Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy carry them to demo? I found the AP2's to be really shot for me, comparable to one club down on my old Eye 2's, which was odd. I'm not sure if it was an improperly attached head for the demo club (it was missing a gaskin) or if it was just how I tended to hit it. I personally found Ping s56's to have some really good distance to them, but they had the odd shot that would really jump off the face and go 10 yards further than anything else you hit with it. This could just be my ballstriking, but I didn't have the issue with any other blades I tried, so I'm not sure.

My bag:

AP2's....only way to go!! Nick Watney just won with them.

The sound and feel coming off them is unlike any other i demo'd a few months ago. I demo'd mizuno's, pings, TM.

For me, it wasn't close. Great look from above too....

I have first-hand experience since just last week I went from an old set of 1* upright Ping Eye 2+s to a fitted set of 3* upright Ping i20s. After two trips to the driving range, here are my impressions: The i20s feel better. Eye 2s always felt like I was hitting rocks. Both sets are equally easy to get up in the air whether I hit it fat or thin. Maybe the i20s go a little higher on thin shots. The i20s are more punishing on hits toward the heel or toe but more rewarding on hits in the center. I can draw or fade the ball with the i20s which I couldn't do with the Eys 2s.

I was hitting the i20s up against the JPX-825s and chose the i20s because I liked the feel a smidge better.

Note: This thread is 4236 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!