IGNORED

BMW Championship Discussion Thread: PGA Tour Playoffs

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by Shorty

How fortunate for Oosthuizen and Hoffman that a new tournament is being played to divert attention form Hoffman giving fellow Titleist ball player Oosthuizen one of his balls in the trees under full view of millions of spactators.

It was conveniently swept under the carpet and the commentators have clearly been told not to mention it.

I read this in the other thread.... Did this really happen?  Or was it BS?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[LIST=1] [*] [*] [*] [/LIST] [quote name="Beachcomber" url="/t/61944/bmw-championship-discussion-thread-pga-tour-playoffs/18#post_766257"]I read this in the other thread.... Did this really happen?  Or was it BS?   [/quote] Just an imaginative forum member with a fragile grip on reality.;-)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I was gonna say...I find it hard to believe a PGA touring pro would run out of golf balls and need a playing partner to hand him one of his.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I read this in the other thread.... Did this really happen?  Or was it BS?

Didn't happen - mainly because it was Hoffman and Dufner - Louis was further back down the field watching his ball rattle around in the trees and then getting the rules official to confirm that it was virtually certain it had stayed in the hazard.

I didn`t see the round, but Rory must have played great tee to green, shooting 64 on a below tour ave putting day (lost 1 shot in the "strokes gained category).  He really seems to be finding a way to get it done right now with him only being average ball striking last week, but hot with the putter.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Okay, far more than half the field has already teed off and coverage doesn't begin for another 3-4 hours?  What the hell is going on?

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Okay, far more than half the field has already teed off and coverage doesn't begin for another 3-4 hours?  What the hell is going on?

I keep a watch on PGATour.com's live update. Rory and Bo both birdied their first 2 holes of the day, Tiger is E through 3

Originally Posted by reedf

I keep a watch on PGATour.com's live update. Rory and Bo both birdied their first 2 holes of the day, Tiger is E through 3

Yeah I usually check the tee times in the morning and cross-reference with the broadcast coverage to see if I want to pay attention on Shot Tracker or if I will wait to watch on my DVR.  Looks like I'll watch shot tracker today.

Anyone want to talk about the fact that Tiger just posted his sixth straight round in the 60s?  How long has it been since that happened?

Well, I just checked PGA Tour stats:  last time was the 2009 playoffs, he posted 8 straight rounds in the 60s, from the Deutsche Bank through the Tour Championship.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

Anyone want to talk about the fact that Tiger just posted his sixth straight round in the 60s?  How long has it been since that happened?

He's on fire.  I'm betting on a monster season next year.   The pieces just seem to be coming together.

Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 10.5*, Regular

5 Wood:  TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 18*, Regular

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Rescue Mid 4, 22*

Irons:  Nike Slingshot OSS 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG16 Black, 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter:  Nike OZ Black T130, SuperStroke Slim 55

Ball:  Bridgestone e6

Rangefinder:  Callaway Razr

Looks like we'll see them paired again tomorrow...

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Originally Posted by sixonezero

He's on fire.  I'm betting on a monster season next year.   The pieces just seem to be coming together.

More importantly (at least to me) is that the foundation of good-to-great driving has been laid and doesn't appear to be changing.  It feels like we are reaching a point where, whenever his short game is tight, he will have a chance to win.

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

Looks like we'll see them paired again tomorrow...

Cool, because at this point I couldn't care less about seeing anybody else play .

Originally Posted by k-troop

Well, I just checked PGA Tour stats:  last time was the 2009 playoffs, he posted 8 straight rounds in the 60s, from the Deutsche Bank through the Tour Championship.

He's playing great! But I'm just as thrilled with PHIL shooting his sixth straight round in the 60s today too!

We've seen both Vijay Singh and Ryan Moore get off to hot starts during the first two FedEx Cup playoff events, then fade on the weekend; in fact, that's been the story for both players in 2012.

• Singh ranks 31st on the PGA Tour this season in scoring average before the cut, which puts him above guys like Watson, Mickelson, Oosthuizen, Donald, and Mahan; Vijay only ranks 78th in scoring during the third round, and 138th in the final round.
  • Moore is even more snakebitten on weekends: he's 12th in scoring before the cut this year, better than Rory McIlroy, but tumbles all the way to 129th and 174th on the PGA Tour in third and fourth round scoring, respectively. Moore's scoring average on Saturday and Sunday is a full two strokes higher than it is on Thursday and Friday; he was the top five after two days in Houston earlier this year, then shot 85 on Saturday to fall below the MDF cutline.

They're the final pair going off Saturday, but all eyes will be on the group in front of them. It will be interesting to see if either of them will be able to keep up with Tiger and Rory. Their records this year wouldn't appear to say so.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Can somebody tell me what the "ballstriking" statistic means?  I heard somebody (Chamblee I think?) on "On The Range" Wednesday say that Rory was "first in ballstriking."  Just curious how that is quantified.

Maybe just FIR and GIR totalled or something?

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Maybe just FIR and GIR totalled or something?

That is my understanding.

Unfortunately, because of "inclement weather" they're going out in threesomes tomorrow. So it will be Singh, Moore, and McIlroy in the final group and Tiger in the second to last group. If only Ryan Moore got 1 more bogey

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Cool, because at this point I couldn't care less about seeing anybody else play .

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Note: This thread is 4226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!