• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jamo

2012 NFL Season

288 posts in this topic

New England Patriots: 19-0. You heard it here first. (Mostly thanks to their cupcake schedule, but y'know.) :-P Oh, and there's some other teams. Most of week 1 is in the book. Have at it.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Rough start for the Eagles but at least they got the W!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how the Jets pulled that off today, but I'll take it.

I guess running that vanilla offense all preseason paid off. Now, I wonder what happens now that teams have some film on what they're up to.

I'm happy with today, but since it was the Bills, and since its the Jets, I'm still bracing myself for another tragic end to their season.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Preseason should come with the warning, "Past performance is no indicator of future success".

RGIII was a wow yesterday.  Don't bet on Rookie of the Year for Andrew Luck.  The Packers looked sluggish.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Thanks to their defense and big lead I don't think they showed as much as you might think.  The wildcat was used sparingly and very conservatively, I expect to see much more of it when they are playing a team that isn't as familiar with it as the Bills are.  I also think they stuck with standard offense because it was working.  No need for trick plays when you're receivers are getting open and your RB's are gaining yards on the ground.

As a Jets fan we know too much about heartbreak, but I'm cautiously optimistic after yesterday.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Not sure how the Jets pulled that off today, but I'll take it.

I guess running that vanilla offense all preseason paid off. Now, I wonder what happens now that teams have some film on what they're up to.

I'm happy with today, but since it was the Bills, and since its the Jets, I'm still bracing myself for another tragic end to their season.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

my redskins had a pretty good game. of course RGIII did what he did, but when you look at the scores and stats don't sleep on the defense. we're on a lot of backups in the secondary, but drew brees never got comfortable and played from two scores down the majority of the game. i would have said 7-9 to 8-8 would have been a good year, but now i think you can look at a wild card bid and not be quick to say the redskins are going to be 4th in the NFC East this year.

other things:

-great to see manning back, wonder how indy fans feel. luck will be good for them, but it's gotta be hard to think you could have had another 3 years of manning and possible SB runs.

-cleveland should have given mccoy a better chance to battle in the preseason. weedon doesn't have the typical 3 years to develop because of his age.

-jets might not want to take too much away from this one and get too high on themselves, bills are perennial underachievers and hot and cold. pitt will be looking for revenge.

-if the eagles don't make a switch to the rookie by midseason, i'm not sure they make the playoffs. they might not make it with him, but this whole "vick needs to improve thing" has been kicked around since he came into the league. it's never going to happen. he's going to make wow plays, but he is going to throw dumb picks and misread defenses. he's also going to get injured. reid has to give up on this all pass offense too. he's got mccoy and he's got to let him run.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RGIII looked great, helped me win my first game in two fantasy leagues.  I guess colleges running pro style offenses is helping these guys acclimate to the NFL faster.  15 years ago an RGIII would sit on the bench as a backup for 2-3 years before ever getting a chance to start.

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Preseason should come with the warning, "Past performance is no indicator of future success".

RGIII was a wow yesterday.  Don't bet on Rookie of the Year for Andrew Luck.  The Packers looked sluggish.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

RGIII looked great, helped me win my first game in two fantasy leagues.  I guess colleges running pro style offenses is helping these guys acclimate to the NFL faster.  15 years ago an RGIII would sit on the bench as a backup for 2-3 years before ever getting a chance to start.

I guess I don't watch enough college football but I didn't realize just how good of an arm Griffin has until yesterday. He was really accurate and can sling it pretty good for such a skinny guy.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by jamo

I guess I don't watch enough college football but I didn't realize just how good of an arm Griffin has until yesterday. He was really accurate and can sling it pretty good for such a skinny guy.

he played in a spread at college with some option sprinkled in. his plays were called from the sideline and they didn't huddle much if at all. his arm talent, accuracy, and blazing speed is what makes him deadly in the NFL.

little story about RGIII:

when he was at baylor he tore his ACL. his dad told him that he had to become a more accurate passer and he was never going to make it as a running qb, so he would sit in a chair and throw passes to his dad to work on his accuracy while he was rehabbing his knee. as a side thing he doesn't need to set his feet and put everything into a deep throw, he has that mike vick wrist flick that has a ton of velocity.

he's actually only an 1 1/2" to 2" shorter than luck and only weighs maybe 10 pounds less. he just has a completely different build that comes from his olympic trial hurdle career. i really think that him and guys coming out soon like geno smith are going revolutionize the position as amazingly accurate passers first and world class athletes second.

we saw aaron rodgers yesterday show that even the best passers can be shut down, so having that second ability to run (and rodgers can run) helps immensely.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by tiger187126

we saw aaron rodgers yesterday show that even the best passers can be shut down, so having that second ability to run (and rodgers can run) helps immensely.

Wow....rough crowd.  I didn't know that going 30/44 for 303 yds passing and 2 TD's was getting "shut down".  :)

His one INT was terrible.  Didn't see the linebacker and it was big.  Stuff happens.  What was more concerning to this Packers fan was 1) issues with D were obviously not addressed and will continue to plague them (hey, let's cover Crabtree with a LB all day and let's not cover Randy Moss at all), still zero run game to take some heat off of Rodgers, and of course my favorite Finley still dropping passes.

However, the most troubling thing I saw without question yesterday was GET THE REAL REFS BACK!!!   My God, every game I watched the officiating was beyond terrible.  Absolutely pathetic.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Clubchucker

Wow....rough crowd.  I didn't know that going 30/44 for 303 yds passing and 2 TD's was getting "shut down".  :)

His one INT was terrible.  Didn't see the linebacker and it was big.  Stuff happens.  What was more concerning to this Packers fan was 1) issues with D were obviously not addressed and will continue to plague them (hey, let's cover Crabtree with a LB all day and let's not cover Randy Moss at all), still zero run game to take some heat off of Rodgers, and of course my favorite Finley still dropping passes.

However, the most troubling thing I saw without question yesterday was GET THE REAL REFS BACK!!!   My God, every game I watched the officiating was beyond terrible.  Absolutely pathetic.

7 points scored by the offense until 6:05 was left IN THE GAME is getting shut down, especially if you're the packers. they were one dimensional and even though rodgers may be the best player in the nfl, if you're a one trick pony you can get shut down like that. a QB who can run for yardage on his own (and rodgers can, but not to the extent of the QBs i was referring to as the future) helps your running game and helps keep the defense on their heels.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Clubchucker

Wow....rough crowd.  I didn't know that going 30/44 for 303 yds passing and 2 TD's was getting "shut down".  :)

His one INT was terrible.  Didn't see the linebacker and it was big.  Stuff happens.  What was more concerning to this Packers fan was 1) issues with D were obviously not addressed and will continue to plague them (hey, let's cover Crabtree with a LB all day and let's not cover Randy Moss at all), still zero run game to take some heat off of Rodgers, and of course my favorite Finley still dropping passes.

Originally Posted by tiger187126

7 points scored by the offense until 6:05 was left IN THE GAME is getting shut down, especially if you're the packers. they were one dimensional and even though rodgers may be the best player in the nfl, if you're a one trick pony you can get shut down like that. a QB who can run for yardage on his own (and rodgers can, but not to the extent of the QBs i was referring to as the future) helps your running game and helps keep the defense on their heels.

I think the Packers were playing against the best non-Belichick coached team yesterday, which also contributed quite a bit to their poor showing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

NINERS!!!

And yes the Pack was shut down for most of the game. The Cobb run back where there was an OBVIOUS block in the back allowed GB to get some momentum to make the game closer. I still cant believe they threw the flag but picked it up!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Clubchucker

However, the most troubling thing I saw without question yesterday was GET THE REAL REFS BACK!!!   My God, every game I watched the officiating was beyond terrible.  Absolutely pathetic.

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

And yes the Pack was shut down for most of the game. The Cobb run back where there was an OBVIOUS block in the back allowed GB to get some momentum to make the game closer. I still cant believe they threw the flag but picked it up!!

I imagine a lot of people griping about the replacement refs today are using this play as an example of why they stink.  I think all of those people have way too selective of a memory and are "romanticizing" (for lack of a better term) their time with the old refs.  None of the calls I saw yesterday, save for the fourth timeout granted to the Seahawks, was out of the realm of what the old refs could do too.

It would be nice to hear a detailed explanation, though, as to why they picked up that flag.  My only hope is that the flag was thrown for the sideways block that they kept showing on the replay and they "correctly" overturned it.  That would mean that they just flat out didn't see the really obvious one.  But the worse alternative is that the back judge had no backbone, called the penalty correctly, but then allowed himself to be overturned by another ref who only saw the good block.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I imagine a lot of people griping about the replacement refs today are using this play as an example of why they stink.  I think all of those people have way too selective of a memory and are "romanticizing" (for lack of a better term) their time with the old refs.  None of the calls I saw yesterday, save for the fourth timeout granted to the Seahawks, was out of the realm of what the old refs could do too.

It would be nice to hear a detailed explanation, though, as to why they picked up that flag.  My only hope is that the flag was thrown for the sideways block that they kept showing on the replay and they "correctly" overturned it.  That would mean that they just flat out didn't see the really obvious one.  But the worse alternative is that the back judge had no backbone, called the penalty correctly, but then allowed himself to be overturned by another ref who only saw the good block.

Yeah you may be right because we're not sure which block the flag was thrown for. My only gripe is they kept showing the replay of the REAL block in the back and the ref was actually in the frame, so Im thinking he had to see it. Either way, the right team won, and it was a great game.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New England Patriots: 19-0. You heard it here first. (Mostly thanks to their cupcake schedule, but y'know.) :-P Oh, and there's some other teams. Most of week 1 is in the book. Have at it.

So 18-1 maybe... :-P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

The issues that I have with the replacement referees is that they are going to get someone killed.  During the Ravens v. Eagles game a pass was knocked down, and the back judge is signaling that it's a tipped ball while it's rolling around on the ground and players - in an already chippy game - were trying to kill each other to get it.  Blow the damn whistle.

Oh, and it's like Stevie Wonder is spotting the ball.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issues that I have with the replacement referees is that they are going to get someone killed.  During the Ravens v. Eagles game a pass was knocked down, and the back judge is signaling that it's a tipped ball while it's rolling around on the ground and players - in an already chippy game - were trying to kill each other to get it.  Blow the damn whistle. Oh, and it's like Stevie Wonder is spotting the ball.

Yep. It's pretty clear the coaches neither respect nor trust the replacements, they're not particularly good at explaining rulings, they seem to be choking on their whistles in an attempt to not pull a Hochuli and whistle plays over before they should be, and they're not as consistent on judgement calls. I don't doubt that it's an extremely tough job, to make all of those snap calls (which really kills their confidence for when they have to talk to the coaches), but they're just not as good. I only really watched the Pats game closely, but they're spotting was atrocious (for/against both teams), and (shameless complaining) they completely botched the holding call on Rob Gronkowski on what would have been a Danny Woodhead game-winning touchdown (back to being rational).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • Jack or Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?
      I think you seriously underestimate the difference in the level of dominance each had, when you lump them together as standouts of their caliber, because the calibers were not the same at all.  For the years 1997 through 2007 Tiger was the best player for every single year except 1998 and 2004, and for both 1996 and 2008 he was clearly the best player for the portion of the year he was active. You will find it a challenging task to find anything like that number of years for which Jack was the best.  He was always in the top 3 or so, but not that many years where he was the best.  That is why he has so many fewer POY awards and NO Vardons. Not only did Tiger have more years as the best player for the year, his dominance in those years was far beyond anything Jack ever did in HIS best years.  Tiger had winning streaks of 7, 6, and 5.  Jack's longest was 3 (which isn't even as long as Tigers 4 consecutive MAJORS).  There is the consecutive cut record.  The record setting winning margins in various majors.  The record setting margins by which his stroke averages beat his competitors.  
    • How do I organize a charity tournament to be a raging success?
      26 and a stroke? Holy smokes. Very sorry to hear that.  I have no idea how to organize a tournament but I have played in my share. The best ones are scrambles where you can organize your own team. The outcome has rarely ever mattered to us as long as we were well fed. Find a local restaurant (usually a bbq place) that wants to help you out and give a discount for advertising and spend your money there. Everyone will love to come for a good meal. Some nice prizes and maybe a raffle with some local companies offering you something if you are able to convince them it is worth it to give something to the cause.  Another thing I have seen work well is a silent auction at the end with donated items. I donated airline miles of which I have tons and 100,000 miles went for $205. Free gift for me and the cause got $205. 
    • How to eliminate blowup holes
      Haha - I get a couple of reputation points for a post and then go and have a blow up hole. Good drive, left myself 145 in down hill (8i), aimed #deadcenter, pulled 2 shots 25 yards left out of bounds, made 9 (+5) in a 9 hole round of (+11). A better way to avoid blow up holes - play stableford!
    • Donald Trump for president?
      Come on now, that's a bit uncalled for in Bernies case.  His political ideals might be way left, but he is at least honest and virtuous.
    • Jack or Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?
      I'll have to examine your other post closer. That's a good point to consider about the expansion to Continental Europe. Largely explains the poor showing of UK & Ireland in the 60's with many top tier European players not eligible. But considering the 200 million U.S. population base to 63 million in the U.K. & Ireland at the time, the latter did surprisingly well if population base was all that matters. IMO an established competitive golfing culture matters in producing elite players too. Those same European players excluded from Ryder Cup were always eligible for the Majors. The Ryder Cup is also a limited field event. It concentrates the 12 top players of the European Tour. From what I've read, depth of field is still stronger for the 'typical' PGA event, though some non-major Euro events are now stronger than some of the 'minor' PGA events. That is a significant change in Euro competitiveness from the 60's. To some extent that 30% drop sounds like it could be due to simply more international players occupying slots in the fields. If the period you mention covers when majors started to use OWGR for automatic qualification that has some not insignificant inherent issues in terms of strength of field. Having a guaranteed start rather than having to qualify would certainly make for an easier decision to travel to the event. But I'm not arguing against the policy decision facilitating international competition with a little points boost just trying to point out that field strength may not have been as weak in Jack's day as you seem to think. Compared to his peers, which is really the only thing I think you can do without speculative nuance I agree there's no question he's the best golfer. I'm really just arguing that standouts of their caliber (so many more wins so many more majors) than typical players among already elite fields are so rare, that I expect they both represent near the achievable human pinnacle in golf talent, which I don't think really differs within a few generations. The nuances of comparison across eras is interesting to me so I'll debate relative points, but I'm against arguments undervaluing Jack's achievements against 'weak fields'. They both faced very stiff competition.   I'm not dissing Jack. I think his achievements are amazing. I also think the same of Tiger's record. IMO winning percentage per start in the Majors is a very significant stat and Tiger has that in his favor (they are both top 10 and within ~ 2% of each other's number). That number is not the official one for Jack though, I truncated his Major starts to end at age 47, which I think is a reasonable cutoff for competitiveness. If Tiger competes as long as Jack did his major win % (up to age 47) might stay about the same, increase, or decrease (more likely), but he certainly won't match the 18 Majors if he doesn't get like 22+ more major starts between now and age 47.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. glinks
      glinks
      (43 years old)
  • Blog Entries