IGNORED

2012 NFL Season

jamo
Note: This thread is 4123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by tiger187126

not just the game last night:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A3pDg6RCMAAoZ-8.jpg

there's why bellicheck was grabbing the ref. he wanted a review of the field goal, but apparently if a field goal is considered good by the ref it cannot be reviewed.

two teams given a loss because of replacement refs.

as for the "what would happen if this was the giants?"

it would be fixed today. mara is goodell's master and speaks with more authority than any other owner. i cannot stand him.

I think you're wrong about this one.  The rule regarding the field goal that goes over the uprights, according to Bob Costas and Al Michaels after the game, is that if ANY part of the ball crosses over ANY part of the goal post, it's considered good.  So a ball that, were it 5 feet lower would just kiss the outside of the goal posts and deflect away, is considered good when it goes over the goalposts.  There was not a single camera angle that showed definitively that the ball was completely wide of the post, and I actually think they got that one right.  The calls they made for the 10 minutes leading up to that???  Not so much.

And last night's game was pretty much a joke for 60 minutes, with the final play just being a nice cherry on top.

The only thing I will say "in defense" of the refs regarding the last play is that it was going to be a controversy no matter which way they called it.  That is a lose-lose situation for them (and would have been for the regular refs as well)  The nature of that play is that there isn't really a definitive answer, and if they called it an interception, a lot of people would still be railing on them.

All that said, I think these last couple of weekends are proving that they desperately need the real refs back.  (But lets not kid ourselves too much ... they stink too!)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

worst officiating ever

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

As a very, very, very minor NFL owner, I say...pay 'em. Until then, I'll play golf on Sundays and check the score of the Green Bay game on my phone between holes. A plethora of bad calls going both ways in that game. Poor Sam Shields...he probably wants to try the whole wide receiver thing again. I know I would. First he gets penalized because Sidney Rice put him in a chokehold, then Tate gets to shove him down before going all Christopher Columbus on Jennings' pick. He played wideout at the U; they teach those guys how to do that stuff in week one of spring ball.

That being said...c'mon, Jennings. Rule one of defending the Hail Mary: swat it down, don't try to catch it.

C'mon, Erik Walden. I agree it was a ticky-tack roughing call, but you can't dive at a QB's legs.

Cmon, Green Bay O-line and Rodgers. Nine sacks?

Terrible, terrible game, but Seattle came to play this year. Their defense is suffocating. I'd love to see a playoff rematch.

In Lambeau.

With the real guys in stripes.

I'm not going left or right of those trees, ok? I'm going over those trees...with a little draw.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

At least we know for sure one NFL owner will be calling for this lockout to end.

Only one problem with that though ... the Packers don't really have an owner.

Ah, I didn't realize they were the only community owned franchise in the NFL. Thanks.

Gotta be one pissed off community then.

Constantine

Sorry about the double post, but is anyone interested in boycotting the NFL with me for one week?

Basically all we do is put our TV boxes on like the Lifetime network for the day and then go out fishing, golfing or watching the games at a bar or something.

It's just for one week. The goal is to hit the TV ratings hard for the NFL. I know a lot of people are taking about doing this. It seems like a good way to get the owners to end this ref lockout. Hit em where it hurts! Their wallet! I'd love to see half empty stadiums this coming Sunday.

Hopefully this gains steam across the country as the week goes on. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't though obviously....

Constantine

Sorry about the double post, but is anyone interested in boycotting the NFL with me for one week? Basically all we do is put our TV boxes on like the Lifetime network for the day and then go out fishing, golfing or watching the games at a bar or something. It's just for one week. The goal is to hit the TV ratings hard for the NFL. I know a lot of people are taking about doing this. It seems like a good way to get the owners to end this ref lockout. Hit em where it hurts! Their wallet! I'd love to see half empty stadiums this coming Sunday. Hopefully this gains steam across the country as the week goes on. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't though obviously....

Do you have a Nielson box? Isn't that the only way the NFL will ever feel it?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Sorry about the double post, but is anyone interested in boycotting the NFL with me for one week?

Basically all we do is put our TV boxes on like the Lifetime network for the day and then go out fishing, golfing or watching the games at a bar or something.

It's just for one week. The goal is to hit the TV ratings hard for the NFL. I know a lot of people are taking about doing this. It seems like a good way to get the owners to end this ref lockout. Hit em where it hurts! Their wallet! I'd love to see half empty stadiums this coming Sunday.

Hopefully this gains steam across the country as the week goes on. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't though obviously....

Gooooooood question. I don't.

Damn it.

Dumb of me to assume technology was up to date. I can't believe they don't hook up the system now so everyone with a cable box can be statistically kept.

OK, well, I guess it's plan B then: Egg Roger Goodell's house and put a flaming bag of poop on his doorstep!

Constantine

The packers are run like a corporation I believe so they do have a board of directors... I was at the christmas game last year in a suite next to the president's suite.

Originally Posted by bnz506

The packers are run like a corporation I believe so they do have a board of directors... I was at the christmas game last year in a suite next to the president's suite.

I believe that is correct ... but they don't have a Jones, Rooney, Mara or Kraft type with a voice and clout that could perhaps figuratively start smacking Goodell around.  (I guess literally smacking him around might work too)

Field goals can only be reviewed if;

A field-goal or Try attempt that crosses below or above the crossbar, inside or outside the uprights when it is lower than the top of the uprights, or touches anything.

Originally Posted by tiger187126

there's why bellicheck was grabbing the ref. he wanted a review of the field goal, but apparently if a field goal is considered good by the ref it cannot be reviewed.

Joe Paradiso

NFL has to end the lock out and get these replacement refs off the field.  These guys might be doing their best, but it's not good enough.  With all the money the owners make you'd think they'd want to maintain the quality of their game.

What happened last night to the Packers was a travesty.  I don't know how they concluded it was a simultaneous reception when it's clear Jennings had made the catch brought the ball to his chest while Tate only had a hand on the ball.  The NFL rules are very clear on this;

Simultaneous Catch.

If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by jamo

There's another way - the internet. Public forums like TST. Put it out there. As I said earlier, I don't want to watch football until this issue is resolved, and I will state as much on Facebook and anywhere else. And, it's not even like I have to exercise discipline to do it - I am getting bummed out seeing games decided by bad calls. I would rather watch games decided by a coin flip.

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

There's another way - the internet. Public forums like TST. Put it out there. As I said earlier, I don't want to watch football until this issue is resolved, and I will state as much on Facebook and anywhere else. And, it's not even like I have to exercise discipline to do it - I am getting bummed out seeing games decided by bad calls. I would rather watch games decided by a coin flip.

How is that going to hurt the NFL though?  You're not taking money out of their hands by complaining on the internet.  They don't seem to care what we think because they believe that they are invincible and there is nothing we can do about it.  And, at this point, they are probably right.

Quote:

That is not correct.  It is reviewable in certain cases.  If the ball is higher than the post but completely inside or outside of the post, it is reviewable.  If part of the ball is over the post, it is not.  Also, if any part of the ball is outside of the post when it goes over the post, it is no good.  Belichick should not have grabbed the arm of the ref, but the ref is required to answer the coaches question.  The ref should have stopped and explained the ruling.  Looked to me like most of the ball was outside of the post and no good.

I think the refs were very intimidated by the fans as well.  Especially the "Bullshit" chant.

Quote:
Bellichick has been pressing his luck with these refs a lot lately though and I hope that NFL smacks some sense into him.

You are not correct.  Other than this instance, he has not done anything.  Other coaches continue to whine after the game to the media, but BB does not talk about penalties, etc after the game.  Never does and never blames the refs for the loss.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by boogielicious

That is not correct.  It is reviewable in certain cases.  If the ball is higher than the post but completely inside or outside of the post, it is reviewable.  If part of the ball is over the post, it is not.

Then how would you know if it's reviewable prior to reviewing it?  If you aren't sure where it crossed, then how do you know if it crossed completely inside, outside, or partially?  And I agree with newtogolf's post up above:  It's not at all reviewable if the ball is higher than the posts.  At least, that is what the announcers said after the game.

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Also, if any part of the ball is outside of the post when it goes over the post, it is no good.

Again, based on the info relayed to us by NBC after the game, this is wrong as well.  They said that if any part of the ball is over the upright, then it is good.  So like I said above, a ball that, were it 5 feet lower, would just kiss the outside of the upright is considered good if going over the top of the uprights.

There is an easy solution to this one:  Make the uprights higher.  I would think that 30-ish yard field goal would be the one where the ball is at it's apex nearest the goalposts, and you rarely see them kick balls higher than the posts, but when you do, its only by 5-6 feet at most, so make the posts 10 feet higher.  Or strap on some "Hawk eye" technology like they have in tennis and be done with it.  Now you don't even need to have the refs stand under there.

Quote:
There is an easy solution to this one:  Make the uprights higher.

There was talk in the last couple of years about adding a "laser" to the outside of the post.  If the laser hits the ball, then it is outside and no good.

Sometimes announcers are wrong.  The rule was discussed the next day in Boston media.  They looked up the actual rule and it was stated as I say above.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 4123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!