IGNORED

Rules? For the Average Golfer?

jaymunson
Note: This thread is 4213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf would be a lot more fun if you just drove up to the hole while drinking beer and dropped the ball into the hole.  Just mark down your 1, pop another beer and move on.

Or, we could enjoy the challenge of playing the game by the rules.  Your choice.

Originally Posted by Wisguy

I've never met a cigar smoker in my life who wasn't a thoughtless horse's ass and/or trying to compensate for one or more inadequacies.  Anyone who claims he likes the smell of cigar smoke is as full of manure as if he tried to claim he liked the smell coming out of a well-used litterbox.

Wow.

Generalize much?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisguy

I've never met a cigar smoker in my life who wasn't a thoughtless horse's ass and/or trying to compensate for one or more inadequacies.  Anyone who claims he likes the smell of cigar smoke is as full of manure as if he tried to claim he liked the smell coming out of a well-used litterbox.

Wow.

Generalize much?

Speaking of odour, I didn't read past that bit.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I meet guys on the course that smoke all the time. Some are considerate, others not so much. I don't mind the smell of a cigar but cigarettes make me gag. Though IMO the worst is inconsiderate chewing tobacco users. As much as I don't like ashes on the greens and tee boxes a big goober of tobacco and spit is worse. Sunflower seeds are just as bad. Lung butter dude, blech. Bad manners come in many forms.

Dave :-)

I try to play by the rules as much as I can, but have a few "house rules" I play by currently.  If I have not gone to the range before I tee off and I hit my very first tee-shot OB, I'll take a mulligan instead of the penalty shot.  If I mishit my second tee shot, I take the penalty.  However, if I go to the range beforehand and then hit my first tee shot OB, I take the penalty and move on.

My second house rule applies to the sand.  I just started playing golf recently (have yet to break 100) and have never really practiced hitting any shots from the sand.  To be blunt, I have no idea how to get out of a greenside bunker (fairway bunkers are a slightly different story).  So, it takes me 1 stroke to get out, even if it was really three or four.  My mentality on this is that I'm there to have fun, and taking four or five strokes to clear a greenside bunker (a not uncommon feat for me) is no fun and honestly ruins the whole round for me.  Once I get better in the sand and can reliably clear bunkers in one stroke, this rule will go away.  This house rule honestly doesn't come into play much.  My home course is a 9-hole par 3 course with no bunkers, so I can't hit sand there (or practice it, unfortunately).  I played 18 holes at a full-length course yesterday and ended up in a fairway bunker once and was able to easily get out in one stroke, so the house rule was moot.

Like some of the other posters, I will also not go back to the tee box if a ball that should be findable ends up lost.  I'll usually take a drop in the rough and move on.  If I hit a ball that's obviously OB from the tee box, I will hit a second shot from the tee box.

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Are you sure you're not a troll?

I'm guessing 'young and dumb' or 'older and ignorant' but not a troll. Personally I hate the smell and taste of beer. I don't understand how anyone can like it but I'm smart enough (?  debatable) to realize there are plenty of people who love the stuff. Crave the stuff. I don't get it but I would never say they were full of manure for saying they like the smell/taste of beer.

On the flip side I love the smell of a medium to excellent quality cigar. Hell I know people who don't smoke that like the smell of a decent Cigar.

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Part of enjoying the game is improving and being successful. Kind of tough to celebrate a birdie, great putt or some other event if the shots that lead to it weren't legit.

One of my weekend groups is with a guy who has had 2 hip replacements and wrist surgery. He has lost a ton of distance and is lucky to get the ball out 200 yards on a decent drive anymore. He routinely takes a mulligan per side (some days more) and we happily celebrate if he makes a 'modified' birdie. It makes him happy which is more than good enough for me. He's a blast to play with and I wouldn't trade in our weekend rounds for most anything.

We may give him a gentle ribbing about the modified birdie but believe me nobody in the group makes even the slightest issue of it. Life is too short. Coming from a grumpy guy - enjoy the hell out of it (whatever it is) while you can.

• Upvote 1

Note to anyone reading, this is not a shot at all golfers, just a couple.

It seems that my last article submitted inspired commentary, insults, and simply rude statements. Yet on the topic of rules, I received shots about playing the game, comments about lack of respect for the game, and even shots on my writing skills. Let me clarify a couple of things first and for most. The article was meant to my humorous, yet it seems some thought I was simply writing to annoy. Hardly my reasoning or true to the point of the article. On my writing skills, I admit I have only been writing about golf for about a week now, my normal articles are about food, which I have an editor and I get published, and paid. So for that issue I am sorry.

The other comment I took particular interest in was that from a twenty four year old child. Sorry kid, I have in fact been playing golf 4 years shy of your age, so 20 years playing this sport. I have played in junior leagues, 4 years of high school and 1 year of college, and since college I have played nearly every weekend. So the idea of me not knowing the game, nor the rules, course edict, or playing by the rules is somewhat ridiculous due to I have been playing longer than you being able to use the toilet by yourself.

The point of my article was not to encourage cheating in golf or in any other sport for that fat, but to simply be able to have fun while playing the game of golf and for anyone and I mean anyone to be able to go out and play this sport, without being reprimanded by shooting for a better handicap or by the rules that most do not even know. I feel I can say this honestly due to my background both on the private courses and the public. I only play public courses now, because of the elitist thinking a$$holes like most of the comment makers here. It’s how you all view this sport that makes me despise it yet it also drives me to write more as the Average Joe Golfer that many others and I are.

Average middle class (and I am not discrediting above or below this line) individuals who play with hand me down clubs, borrowed water logger balls, who doesn’t own an actual set of spikes; and for the ones who like to crack open a cold beer, light up a 4 dollar cigar from the club house, while wearing cutoff gun shirts, and for the ones who hold the flow of the pace, due to “Ed’s taking a leak”. I write for those who simply love to play.

I mean do you really think elitists like yourselves fuel the rounds of the PGA, or WPGA? No it’s a$$holes like my self and many others out there who are buying thousand dollar set of clubs, buying 45 dollar set of balls, who think it’s cool to own 1 percent of Ping or Callaway. It’s people like me who pay 32 bucks for eighteen and a cart each and every weekend and don’t give a spit about handicaps or what we have in the bag.

So you can have your private courses, and memberships, your droll conversations about what new club came out or what ball you think it the best, and you can keep your handicaps for you sandbagging elitist “A” flights. I’ll be out with a thousand plus other golfers drinking beer while we play, disregarding the rules, and playing a game as we the Average Joe’s and Jane’s of this golf world, see fit.

Any comments left to be made, feel free and when I see that you have a 3.2 handicap denouncing anything I just wrote, it will only prove my point of you being a golf elitist snob.

Next time with the Average Joe Golfer, learn how to accidentally plug a snobs ball with your cart tire who just hit into you…He has to play it as it lies, otherwise it’s a penalty stroke.

Originally Posted by jaymunson

Note to anyone reading, this is not a shot at all golfers, just a couple.

It seems that my last article submitted inspired commentary, insults, and simply rude statements.

Well after reading this fine piece of work ( I didn't see the first one) I can only imagine why you received insults and rude statements, I mean, you being so refined and talented yourself.

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

What? Calm down sparky, elitists are in everything. I'd say be the big boy you claim to be and get used to it.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Wow! I play with guys that have good gear, play by the rules, most are single digit players, dress well, and I haven't met a snob in the group. The course I play is a semi-private club, so we attract all kinds of players. Not all players that play by the rules, and respect the game are snobs. Most people play by the rules because they love the game. I have no problem with players that want to just go out and beat it around, but please don't stereotype players that take a more serious approach as snobs.

Got issues?

I read through the thread you started on the 'kings and queens of golf', about how you're upset that so many golfer take it seriously and play by the rules. Look, I don't give a f&ck; if you throw and kick your ball down the fairway. Do whatever you want as long as it doesn't affect my play. But, can you please explain why it upsets you that I want to play by the rules?

dak4n6

Next time with the Average Joe Golfer, learn how to accidentally plug a snobs ball with your cart tire who just hit into you…He has to play it as it lies, otherwise it’s a penalty stroke.

You can take free relief from an embedded ball.

Playing by the rules does not necessarily make one a snob.  I am a farmer by trade; yep a dig in the dirt type-o-guy, in other words, Joe Average.  I really don’t care how other folks play, but playing by the rules makes a round much more rewarding. Honestly, how can a player get excited after sinking a long putt for a birdie if it’s on their second or third ball off the tee?

When I pull up to a course in my pickup and end up playing with a guy who just arrived from court in his shiny new BMW, it makes no difference to the golf course, so why should it to me, you or anyone else?  Yes there is elitism in golf, but in my experience it is only a very, very small minority of people who look down their noses at folks of lesser means. PLAY golf (not work golf), have fun, be happy, and don’t sweat the narrow minded players, lest you be confused as one yourself.

Peace

-Marshall

rules we don't need know stinkin rules...lol. i myself watch low hcp golfers fluff push kick their balls to get a better lay,they look at me "hey just push that ball out to some better grass", na i will hit it from here. for me it's a challenge to shoot from were it lays, might top it 10 yds i don't care. its the enjoyment being out and chit chat with buddys or having a conversation with a stranger on the course. i try to keep within the rules (what i know of them,still learning the game) as for a tee shot going OB i will drop were i think it went out and nail it hopefully longer than 10 yrds lol. as for beer, cigar, big o fatty, could care less, its a stress relief for me to go out. BTW get to play an ocean side links course tomorrow new port dunes and then saturday C.C.G.C. also ocean side course north shore, this ones a tourny. woooo hooo grip and rip brotha

Is this Dev Patel's Newsroom character, being paid to troll websites? Seriously man, people disagreed with you because different people get different things out of golf. Suck it up. Want people to like you? Post more to other threads. Add to discussions.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!