IGNORED

I think I'm starting to 'get' Lag ???

Joehuggy
Note: This thread is 4212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey

just got back from the range, it's ironic that I make most breakthroughs with my sand wedge on the range in terms of getting more swing speed but I think my body suddenly started to understand lag.

I first tried to feel like my left arm was totally inert, like it was just attached to my shoulder and that my wrist was just a loose hinge then at the top of my back spin my arm started to reach the peak, then drop down with the weight of the sandwedge, this creating a rhymic lag/whipping swing, when I got this right, the balls were carrying about 15 yards further.

So I tried it with my driver but I couldn't replicate entirely the same feeling, I think I did somewhat, but the fact that the driver is light means it doesn't drop so easily at the top...

Does this sound like lag to you guys? Is anyone else familiar with what progress I seem to be making...

I'm really buzzed because maybe now I am on the right track towards getting some more distance off the tee

Would love to hear any similar stories that you guys have experienced in the evolution of your golf swings.

Thanks for those videos.  The most helpful thing for me regarding lag is when I quit thinking about it in terms of an angle between your arm and club, and started thinking about it in terms of increasing the pressure on my right index finger as the club accelerates.  Think about the grape in video 1.  The pressure on the grape continues to increase as the club accelerates.  And you want the club accelerating (pressure continue to build) through impact.

I didn't realize that my club was reaching max speed before impact.  But now I can feel it reaching top speed after impact.  This causes several good things to happen.  First, the transition to the downswing is a lot smoother.  I was reaching top speed right after the transition and was yanking the club and losing control.  Now its a smooth transition because I want that pressure to gradually build during the downswing.  Also, it helps me get my hands in front of the ball at impact

Originally Posted by Moonnerd

Thanks for those videos.  The most helpful thing for me regarding lag is when I quit thinking about it in terms of an angle between your arm and club, and started thinking about it in terms of increasing the pressure on my right index finger as the club accelerates.  Think about the grape in video 1.  The pressure on the grape continues to increase as the club accelerates.  And you want the club accelerating (pressure continue to build) through impact.

I didn't realize that my club was reaching max speed before impact.  But now I can feel it reaching top speed after impact.  This causes several good things to happen.  First, the transition to the downswing is a lot smoother.  I was reaching top speed right after the transition and was yanking the club and losing control.  Now its a smooth transition because I want that pressure to gradually build during the downswing.  Also, it helps me get my hands in front of the ball at impact

awesome tip I'm guna try this today at the range, I like the idea of the pressure building on the downswing... I think I also am doing the same in regards to reaching top speed before impact because it has a real feel of loss of power, it's a hopeless feeling, but when I got a few shots going with the lag I could hit it just as far as my best shots but feeling like I had a whole lot more gas left in the tank.

Thanks

I used to be obsessed with lag and found that focusing on getting the low point forward, weight forward, arms straight post impact, extending the back did wonders w/respect to power, consistency and accuracy. IMHO, lag isn't something I would spend a lot of time on.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by nevets88

I used to be obsessed with lag and found that focusing on getting the low point forward, weight forward, arms straight post impact, extending the back did wonders w/respect to power, consistency and accuracy. IMHO, lag isn't something I would spend a lot of time on.

I agree 100%.  I've found that if I try to create lag by focusing attention on my hands, bad things happen.  But like you said, if I focus more on my lower body and weight shift, things fall into place.  It seems like lag will be a natural consequence of a swing in which your whole body is involved in the correct sequence (just like baseball, hockey, using a sledge hammer, throwing a ball, etc.).

Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 10.5*, Regular

5 Wood:  TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 18*, Regular

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Rescue Mid 4, 22*

Irons:  Nike Slingshot OSS 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG16 Black, 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter:  Nike OZ Black T130, SuperStroke Slim 55

Ball:  Bridgestone e6

Rangefinder:  Callaway Razr

made some more progress working on weight shift, when I get the shift right the lag kicks in, aslong as my arms, grip and wrists are loose..

The first move from the top of the backswing needs to be this weight shift, which then automatically transforms into hip turn, and the arms are just along for the ride :)

just need to do some trial and error and hopefully I will start getting a few more yards off the tee, still only using a sandwedge at this stage.

Originally Posted by Joehuggy

I don't seem to be getting more distance yet with my driver, it seems wrong that I can hit my 9 iron 150, 5 iron 200 but my driver only 250...

Is that an increase? I'd be careful comparing your driver to your irons in terms of distance because it could be something as simple as lofts.

Originally Posted by Ajlepisto

Is that an increase? I'd be careful comparing your driver to your irons in terms of distance because it could be something as simple as lofts.

nope just an observation, I've ben able to hit my 9-iron this far for some time

Note: This thread is 4212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!