IGNORED

Best Mid Price Ball?

Note: This thread is 4278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Best Mid Price Ball?

• Callaway Big Bertha
    • Titleist NXT
    • Titleist NXT Tour
    • Titleist DT/SoLo
    • Srixon Soft Feel
    • Srixon AD333
    • Pinnacle Exception
    • Nike Juice 312
    • Nike Ignite
    • Maxfli Fire
    • Maxfli Red Max

it's on sale $19.99 at my local golf store.....they said that the new NXT tours are going to be out shortly....

Does anyone know what will be different with the new NXT tours?

Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

Does anyone know what will be different with the new NXT tours?

I looked at the web site and answered my own question. Looks like some added distance...how much distance depends on the club you are using.

I find it unusual that a faster ball speed, with a driver, would not result in the same added distance when complared to a slower ball speed. The faster the ball speed, the less added distance. Does anyone know why this is? (If there is already a thread on this, I oppologize for the repeat)
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

i tried some calloway HOT or whatever they are called today. long off the tee but terrible after that. irons were terrible and rolled forever off the wedges. i dont even want to tell you what happened with the putter. to me they felt like any top flite distance ball you can get for half the price.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

Best mid-priced ball...........

Used Pro V1's on ebay

(or any other good used ball for that matter, Callway HX Tour etc)

I just picked up 6 dozen (3 dozen pro v1's, older version, and 3 dozen HX Tour) for a shade over $1 per ball shipped.

I didn't vote. This topic confuses me, at least at this stage of my game.
So I'm trying my own experiment.
I just purchased a single sleeve of the following...

Nike ONE Black
Callaway HX Hot
Callaway Warbird
Callaway HX Tour
Bridgestone e6
Nike Ignite
Slazenger RAW
Nike Juice 312
Titleist Prov1x

All that cost me about 65 dollars.

My plan is to take a ball out of each sleeve and go play. I'll tee up and wont even glance at the ball type... if it does what I want it to from tee box to cup, I'll pick it up and make note of the performance. My hope is that I'll find a ball that doesn't spin as much off the tee, has good distance, durability, but still has touch and feel around the greens.

Who knows what the outcome will be... I just want to find a ball that suits my game and how I play. A mid-priced ball would be great, but if a $3 or $4 ball like the ProV1x or the ONE Black gives me better results I'll likely stay with it.
What's in My Bag?

Driver: 10.5° KZG SP-700 with Fujikura SIX Regular Flex Shaft | 2h: Adams A7OS Stiff | 3h: Adams A3OS Stiff | 4h: Nike Slingshot Steel | 5i-PW: Adams A2OS | Sand Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56° 3-dot | Lob Wedge: Cleveland CG15 60° 3-dot | Putter: Fisher CTS-9 Polyurethane Face

That is a good strategy, but its important to understand that at your handicap and consistency level, every ball should perform pretty much the same. The chance of you gaining an *actual* benefit from a different ball is pretty slim. Personally, in your situation I would choose the ball that you hit the farthest.

That is a good strategy, but its important to understand that at your handicap and consistency level, every ball should perform pretty much the same. The chance of you gaining an *actual* benefit from a different ball is pretty slim. Personally, in your situation I would choose the ball that you hit the farthest.

Good advice. Obviously distance off the tee is a consideration. However, like one of the previous posters mentioned, if it hits like a lump of charcoal off your wedges then what good is it?

For example, I've hit these Slazenger RAW's before and they're similar to the description he had about the Callaway HX HOT's -- good distance but rough around the green. I haven't hit the HX HOT's yet, so I don't have an opinion about them. Ideally, I'd love to hit a 2-piece ball with a responsive core and an extra hard cover then replace that ball with a softer balata covered ball that has extra feel to assist me on my approach shots and puts. But the rules say we can't do that. Here's an interesting article for your reading pleasure. http://www.golfdigest.com/equipment/...lueperformance Says Golf Digest Chief Technical Advisor Frank Thomas: "The best ball for the best golfers is a multilayer ball. But there's no reason the average golfer shouldn't play these balls, although he or she might not hit the ball consistently enough to recognize all its benefits."
What's in My Bag?

Driver: 10.5° KZG SP-700 with Fujikura SIX Regular Flex Shaft | 2h: Adams A7OS Stiff | 3h: Adams A3OS Stiff | 4h: Nike Slingshot Steel | 5i-PW: Adams A2OS | Sand Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56° 3-dot | Lob Wedge: Cleveland CG15 60° 3-dot | Putter: Fisher CTS-9 Polyurethane Face

The ball I play, Ben Hogan The Hawk. Three piece ball, soft compression (72) I think, its not just a good ball it is a great ball, take my word for it. They were on sale at Golfsmith for 14.99 but I dont think they have any more left. Im having trouble finding them now locally around where I live. I just played a round the other day with the Snake Eyes Tour Performance. Its a three piece ball, soft compression. Scuffs kind of easily, doesnt check up like The Hawks do, but a decent ball for the price.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

A decent strategy but this game is expensive enough and to be honest at this stage in your game you wont be able to notice a difference in any of the balls. I would stick with a cheaper ball for now until you start to play better. Spend your money on the driving range or greens fees for now.

Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I only play V1x's and in a blue moon TP Black, but my brother yesterday was using "pinnacle exception" I believe and he was actually loving them. (He LIVES by playing ProV1x's as well). Said they were not bad around the greens and what not...
Currently in my titleist.gif X86 stand bag:

taylormade.gif R7 Superquad 9.5* (Mitsubishi Diamana Blue Board); taylormade.gif R7 15*; titleist.gif 585H 21*, adams.gif ---*; --- 4-9 (KBS); vokey.gif [48*], 56*, 60* (SM); cameron.gifStudio Select Newport 2 Midslant 34"

Ball - titleist.gif Pro V1X

maybe the guy has plenty of money. me and kurt probabaly play as good as each other and i can tell a huge difference in a golf ball. just cause we dont write low numbers on our score cards like yall doesnt mean we have to play cheap shotty balls.

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

Im on the NXT Tour bandwagon as well. Such a great ball and I buy em off ebay in bulk so theyre even cheaper. I am curious about the bridgestone balls though, they seem to be getting a lot of good remarks.
Driver FT-3 9deg w/ Aldila NV 65-S
3wood Rescue 3 15deg
Irons R7 TP w/ Flighted Rifle 6.5
Wedges 48deg TA900, 53deg TA588, 58deg TA900
Putter 2 ball center shaftedBall NXT Tour

Says Golf Digest Chief Technical Advisor Frank Thomas: "The best ball for the best golfers is a multilayer ball. But there's no reason the average golfer shouldn't play these balls, although he or she might not hit the ball consistently enough to recognize all its benefits."

I generally agree with that... even if you dont get the benefit why not play the best right?

However, lets me honest, do you think Mr Golf Digest guy is gonna say "hey folks if you arent very good dont waste your money with one of our biggest advertisers" lol If you arent flush with cash, they wont make any difference... and I can promise you, a Pro V1 wont stop any faster than a top flite in your situation. Dont get "sandbagged" by the media and by hype. In the end play whatever you want, but dont be fooled by the supposed benefits.

i disagree. i suck but i can stop a prov1 better than a calloway hx hot.

i disagree. i suck but i can stop a prov1 better than a calloway hx hot.

Same here, HX Hot's dont really spin very much, but Prov1's do. I don't find too much difference between a HX Hot and a Prov1

x

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I'm a believer in the Bridgestone e6. Once your golf buddies get past the obvious jokes of "uh oh, did you have a blow out over there?" when you get stuck in the rough, they like them too after they try them out.

$25/box for a 3 piece ball is hard to beat.
In my bag:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5*
Woods: 3 & 5 Rescue Fairway
Hybrid: HiBore Hybrid 4i
Irons: SS-I 5-PW Wedges: Tour Action Reg. 588: 49*, 53*, 60*Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: Bridgestone e6

When I'm through my last 2 boxes of HX Hots i will only buy Bridgestone e6s. They just work better for me than any other mid priced ball. I played a Pro V1 this morning and scored 1 stroke better than I did on the same course yesterday with HX Hot. I stop the Pro V1 better and hit them within 1 or 2 yards of each other. I just can't justify $45 a box.

I guess after all that I still think the e6 is the best ball for me.

Being relatively short off the tee, I tried the Maxfli Fire ball. I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did. I've played the NXT Tour and liked it the best of the mid priced balls, but the Fire is awfully nice, even though it's a bit firmer than I would otherwise play.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Note: This thread is 4278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!