IGNORED

Nike gets patent to put sensors in clubhead

nevets88
Note: This thread is 4239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's similar to Swingbyte, but smaller and in each clubhead.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-11/nike-obtains-patent-for-data-collecting-clubs-and-shoes.html

Here's the summary

Golf clubs and golf club heads having digital lie and/or other angle measuring equipment
Abstract
Golf club heads having sensors configured to measure one or more swing parameters are provided. The golf club head may include several gyroscopes and accelerometers. In one embodiment, the club head contains three gyroscopes that measure angular rate data along different orthogonal axes. At least one gyroscope may an analog gyroscope. Accelerometers may provide data regarding the three orthogonal axes associated with the gyroscopes. The club head may further include software and/or hardware that perform computer-executed methods for determining one or more swing parameters. Exemplary club heads may include a display device for displaying an output of the swing parameter(s). Further aspects of the invention relate to novel methods and algorithms for calculating measurements relating to the swing parameters.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Now that's just cool!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

....."In one embodiment, the club head contains three gyroscopes that measure angular rate data along different orthogonal axes.".....

Isn't that "moving parts", and therefore non-conforming? Also, if it's a gyroscope then it will affect the club's motion, however miniscule.

Originally Posted by Raymond

....."In one embodiment, the club head contains three gyroscopes that measure angular rate data along different orthogonal axes.".....

Isn't that "moving parts", and therefore non-conforming? Also, if it's a gyroscope then it will affect the club's motion, however miniscule.

I doubt you would notice and I believe it would only be for club fitting/data collection.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

It really sounds like all the new training aids (swingbyte and the like) and the mizuno shaft optimizer.  Could be one nifty training club....

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I doubt you would notice and I believe it would only be for club fitting/data collection.

Bloomberg's Matt Townsend reports that Nike obtained a patent last week to "put data-collecting sensors on golf clubs to improve personalization."

Quote:
In one scenario, the analysis of a swing is shown on a display screen embedded on the back of the club’s head. That would make getting fit for golf clubs faster and more precise, the company said.

“Custom fitting is outdated, and can be inaccurate,” Nike said in documents posted on the website of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. While most fitting is done indoors on a hard surface, the new club would allow golfers to measure a swing out on a course, which would garner more accurate data, Nike said.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 4239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!