IGNORED

My Swing (MattM)

MattM
Note: This thread is 1212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by MattM

Hey Beachomber thank you for the reply....... I actually did TRY to take that advice in my second set of videos, but what I keep hearing on this website is feel aint real and I think that's what happened here.  I did really FEEL like I was doing that but obviously not.

I think I may get a full body mirror and really try to feel more bend.  I really don't care about losing some distance as long as it makes me more consistent.

I definately see what you guys are talking about on the back turn.  Problem is I don't know if I will be able to get more video because of the weather.....I was very spoiled last winter with the mild temps.....

We do a lot of work in a mirror. It's a great feedback device. Put little pieces of tape on it to mark things - spots, angles, lines - and it's even better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi Matt, I posted this video and drill for another golfer, and thought of your horizontal shoulder turn issues and wanted to post it here to ensure you saw it too.  Hope this helps you nail this piece.

That video really makes sense!!!!  I'm definately going to try that.  I used to be a baseball player I'm wondering if the flat shoulder is from that. I'm going to try that wall drill when I get home from work....

WOW is that a hard move!!!!!  With my head on the wall it's very easy to get my shoulders to tilt that way, but then on a full swing I get resistance.  Crazy that that would happen!  I will just keep at it.  I am hopefully going to try to get a round in on sat so I will have a friend get a quick down range video.

It is a hard move but I have to say if you do it you have coiled up so well that when you uncoil you produce so much speed!  Crazy actually.  I didn't think I would be able to hit any further but wow that feels like a powerful move.  It also sets my wrists which is much different from my first videos.

Remember, for you... Less is more. Meaning right now you are turning the upper body too much. So get the left shoulder to turn vertically under your chin and stop the upper turn. This should shorten your backswing considerably, and help keep the shaft on plane. You will have more than enough club head speed to hit the ball without sacrificing distance with the shorter turn as this will lead to better alignments which will clean up contact and center hit percentages.

• 1 year later...

So I just received the DVD set of the 5 Simple Keys, and I decided to go to the driving range to try and work on at least the first key!  I can say that the work on keeping the head steady is difficult for me but I think that even being aware of it has mad me much more accurate with the bottom of my swing and it's allowing me to make much more consistent contact as well as controlling the start of the ball.  Here are some videos I just took today. I know my head is still moving, but if anyone has any advice on how to try to stop that, or is it even a big deal?

First swing is a side view iron swing.

DTL Iron Swing

3 wood swing side view

3 wood DTL

Driver Side

Driver DTL

I apologize for all of the videos, but I'm hoping it will make it easier to be able to break down the swing.  Any help would be appreciated!

• Administrator

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ow thank you so much for your assesment! I feel much better about the head movement after you post! My last outing last year I literally had ten plus shanks so I hung it up for the year and knew I needed to make a change. I got these videos and they logically explain why that happened and it was because my weight wasnt transitioning and delivering the clubhead! These videos explain things in easy to understand terms and make understanding the swing easier! I do have one more question for you @iacas or anyone else that could answer. My setup has made it to where my shoulders are tilted pretty well in the backswing. I know that bc my shoulders are more tilted my swing by default is less flat, but is it still too flat?

• Administrator

I do have one more question for you @iacas or anyone else that could answer. My setup has made it to where my shoulders are tilted pretty well in the backswing. I know that bc my shoulders are more tilted my swing by default is less flat, but is it still too flat?

A bit. That's some Key #4 stuff. To be honest you're kind of in the position where you want to work on both at the same time - improving Key #4 will help improve Key #3 too because of how you're managing your backswing and downswing.

You're too flat because of your trail (right) elbow. I'd do a search here on TST about "right elbow" and read some threads about that, and watch this video:

I apologize for replying to my post, but for some reason I cannot seem to find the edit button for my posts.

That video is the absolute explanation for what I needed to ensure my backswing is not flat!  It's incredible actually!  Basically my only thought is to focus on an imaginary rope around both of my elbows holding them together.  It makes my backswing so much more comfortable as well!

I will try to get another video this weekend!  Again your groups explanations always seen to be spot on!  It's incredible!  You were right as well in that it helps with the flat wrist.  I can physically tell that I'm attacking the ball more aggressively in the down swing and I would bet that it's because I'm not being flippy with my wrists.

Thanks again for posting that video!

• Administrator

I apologize for replying to my post, but for some reason I cannot seem to find the edit button for my posts.

Yeah, you only have 9 to 18 minutes or so to do that.

That video is the absolute explanation for what I needed to ensure my backswing is not flat!  It's incredible actually!  Basically my only thought is to focus on an imaginary rope around both of my elbows holding them together.  It makes my backswing so much more comfortable as well!

Note that you can use an actual belt or rope to hold your elbows together. I've hit balls with a belt around my elbows.

It may or may not work - I call that an "active assist" training aid, because you CAN'T do it improperly even if your muscles are trying to move your elbows apart. So it can be limited in how well it works. The best way to work with that kind of training aid would be to set it and then try to make sure you don't even use it - try to make sure you don't push your elbows apart so much that the belt isn't strained at all to keep them together.

I will try to get another video this weekend!  Again your groups explanations always seen to be spot on!  It's incredible!  You were right as well in that it helps with the flat wrist.  I can physically tell that I'm attacking the ball more aggressively in the down swing and I would bet that it's because I'm not being flippy with my wrists.

Great. Thanks for the update. Keep at it - people don't change things about their swings instantly. Lots of work ahead. Be ready for it, accept it, and if you get 0.01% better with every practice swing and session, that's forward progress.

Ok so I went back to the range today.  Brought a little better camera and I'm able to tell that I in fact do have a flat left wrist at impact which is awesome for me.  I'm really trying to work on the right elbow at this time.  I can say that I think there is a slight difference but it's not as much as I felt.  I don't know if maybe I should tuck the right elbow even more to make sure the distance between my left and right elbows doesn't change.  Here are some videos from today.

Down the line driver swing from today:                                                            Down the line driver from the other day:

Down the line swing with an iron from today:                               Down the line swing from the other day:

The next two are side views of the driver and iron:                         Iron side view:

For the most part I'm pretty happy with the swing.  Like I said I can kind of see a difference from my last practice to now with the right elbow but I don't know if it's enough.

Also I notced that trying to keep the elbow in I am pull drawing the ball more.  I guess it could be that since I'm working on something else my lower body is not transitioning? Is there any other reason that the pull draw would happen.

Un-private the videos please

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Sorry about that Youtube usually just publishes after they are done....  For some reason Youtube didn't.  They are published now.  After looking again it doesn't seem like there are any changes in the swing even though I was actively working on the elbow....Gonna be harder than I thought...ON a good note though I definitely have a flat left wrist!

• 2 months later...

After getting some advice from Iacas on my swing I decided to sign up for evolvr.  After my first session I think my swing is coming along.  I got advice from Stephen (the instructor from evlovr) on my backswing and the fact that I was cutting across the line.  Below are some new swings.  I am really starting to notice results.....I played today in 30mph winds and shot a 92.  I was also able to hit a decent amount of greens given the wind.

4/1/2014 DTL Driver Swing:

4/1/2014 Face On Driver Swing:

• 3 months later...

So after working with Stephan and Evolvr for a while the big things I'm working on are shortening the backswing and keeping lag in my downswing.  The two videos below show a ton of improvement in my downswing and not coming from over the top, but as you can see I'm working on getting my elbow off my ribs and shortening my backswing.  This videos are from June 2014.

6.19.2014 Driver DTL

As you can see my backswing is way to long and I'm bending my right elbow past 90 degrees.

These next two are from today.  I found the tip from IACAS about trying to keep your right arm straight in the backswing and it's definitely made a difference.  I've also order the swing extender which I thing will shorten my swing even more.

7.15.2014 DTL 7 Iron

7.15.2014 Face On 7 Iron

I

I can see that my swing is definitely making progress, but as always I will keep working on it.  I'm sure my elbow is still going past 90 degrees in bend, but I think the Swing Extender aid will definitely help me out with that.

Note: This thread is 1212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!