IGNORED

My Swing (MattM)

MattM
Note:Β This thread is 1233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator

One of them is private.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mvac, thank you forΒ the feedback!Β  I really think the backswing will look much better when I get that swing extender.

Iacas,Β  I think I forgot to publish it.Β  It should be good now.

So, I wanted to show a picture from my last analysis.Β  I'm very proud of this picture because it has been a lot of work to get to this point in my journey!Β  Below is a picture at a certain point in the downswing of Robert Rock and myself.Β  I feel very positive with how close the two pictures are, because 5 months ago it was very far from this!

I definitely feel good about this picture!!!!!

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

I definitely feel good about this picture!!!!!

You should! Good stuff.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

You should! Good stuff.

Wow!Β  I feel even better about it now!Β  That's great!Β  It feels great to finally make progress!

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

You should! Good stuff.

Wow!Β  I feel even better about it now!Β  That's great!Β  It feels great to finally make progress!

Thats the nice thing about video. Β For me anyway. Β I can see progress and that makes it enjoyable. Β Even if I am only hitting into a net.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Nice work Matt....although Robert Rock might have better hair :-P

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

• 2 months later...

The next two videos are from the end of September.Β  I'm posting them to try to answer the thread iacas posted asking about the 5 simple keys.Β  I'm trying to score how many I am actually doing well. First one is down the line.Β  My backswing got a little long but I've kept it decently short through my swing: Next one is a face on.Β  In this one my swing is decently short and weight is on the front foot into impact ensuring and inline impact: My head seems to stay pretty still in the backswing.Β  I'm able to work the ball pretty well left and right and I'm starting my shots on line.Β  Seems to be pretty inline with my handicap and mastery of the 5 simple keys.Β  Definitely a long way to go though.

• Administrator

First one is down the line.Β  My backswing got a little long but I've kept it decently short through my swing:

I think you posted the same video twice. Just thought you might want to know.

I just looked at the vids again and I'm seeing one dtl vid and one face on vid....Β  Is that not what you are seeing?

• Administrator
I just looked at the vids again and I'm seeing one dtl vid and one face on vid....Β  Is that not what you are seeing?

You posted a link to a playlist in the first video. The video link you used includes the playlist. I'll fix it. But that's why. It's the same video.

You posted a link to a playlist in the first video. The video link you used includes the playlist.

I'll fix it. But that's why. It's the same video.

Thanks for fixing it....Sometimes I think youtube gives me the wrong link on purpose....

• 9 months later...

So, as a bunch of you know I have been struggling with a too long backswing since I started playing golf.Β  I keep trying to make changes to it by doing certain drills or focusing on different swing thoughts, but invariably it always goes back to a too long backswing which makes my down swing too steep and causes all sorts of problems.

Well....after looking over all of my slow motion videos again I think I am seeing a trend which might actually explain my issues.Β  Since I am trying to do the one piece takeaway my arms in the backswing depend on my hips and shoulders to turn to get them up into place.Β  In the videos it looks to me like it causes a sequencing problem in my swing.Β  It appears that my arms do not move up in a manner that gets them in place in the backswing before my shoulders stop turning.

Below are screen shots

Takeaway:Β  Everything starts together like it should

Half way back:Β  Still in relative sequence but shoulders are turning quickly

Arms Parallel:Β  Here the shoulders are pretty much done turning but the club hasn't set and arms still continue

Top Of Backswing:Β  Shoulders and hips are done turning but arms kept going to get writs set.Β  I'm way across the line at the top too.Β  The club is pointing to the right at this point!

After doing a ton of drills and other work I'm still back at square one with the back swing.Β  I really am starting to think it's the takeaway that is causing it.Β  If my arms get up in the backswing earlier and my wrists set earlier then my arms would have not need to keep going after my shoulders have stopped turning.

This is telling me that I should probably start my swing with my arms and some early wrist set and hopefully it will shorten my swing.

Has anyone else had this problem/think differently/have another solution?

I'm open to suggestions or even people telling me I'm wrong etc.....Β  Anything would help!

• Administrator

Bend your right elbow and cock/hinge your wrists sooner.

So you definitely see the same thing I do as well.....Β  I'm thinking this was probably my problem from the beginning.Β  Do you know of any drills I could try?Β  Tonight when I get home I'll just bend my right arm and cock my wrist then do my shoulder turn, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to try to reteach myself on the takeaway.

So you definitely see the same thing I do as well.....Β  I'm thinking this was probably my problem from the beginning.Β  Do you know of any drills I could try?

Fold the right arm into the body (in front of the shirt seam), feel like the butt of the club stays the same height from 1-2, then pivot.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Awesome!!!!Β  Thank you very much!Β  I will definitely use this on the range!Β  I also found a great drill that I could use on the course that's pretty easy.

Basically, you line up to the ball (real or imaginary) take your stance, and then take your club and cocking your wrists and bending your right elbow just far enough to get your club resting onto your right shoulder.Β  Then you pivot keeping the club on the shoulder the whole time until you are done with your shoulder turn.Β  You then take your hands and extend them out from your chest whilst keeping your wrists cocked and that is where your backswing should be!Β  I think it will definitely be helpful!

I'm definitely glad I have this place for support and information!Β  I would be lost without it!

Mike quick question for you....When you do that drill do you find that you lose any distance versus your usual swing?

Note:Β This thread is 1233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!