IGNORED

My Swing (MattM)

MattM
Note: This thread is 1212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess my question for this is....is there a typical problem that occurs that would cause this massive duck hook fiasco in every swing?  On some swings I even tried to physically slide my hips extremely far forward in the downswing thinking it would stop the duckhooks but it seemed to make them worse.  Any ideas?

Tough to say without seeing a video of what's really going on.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Take my non expert advice for what it's worth, but just from looking it looks like your right hand may be creeping under the grip. I know at least from me personally it's something I fight, and if I let that right hand get too much under I start missing everywhere. Also, just an off topic comment but your follow through hurts my back. :P - that doesn't give you any issues? Just curious.

Andrew M.

Here are some vids from today....I'm still duckhooking and can't figure out why.....

Is contact in the center or towards the toe?

Is the ball starting on your start line or left of it?

Mike McLoughlin

Have you always had the same setup to the ball? Looks like you are tilting too much to your right side, therefore creating that hook inside out club path. try standing over the ball with your left eye/ear over the center of your stance.

Looks like you worked on that and now you are just over doing it.

Don't worry about having or keeping the "weight" forward. I know that was a feel you came up with to try and accomplish the axis tilt and centered hip turn but you look too "loaded" on your left side at set-up. Just have that slight bump forward with the hips and turn them in place. You may be over-doing the set-up a little too much, it is too much with your 3 wood.

So when the hips slide back you have to compensate by sliding them forward in a short amount of time. Tough to get the sequencing right. Looks like you stay closed for too long and the head goes back slightly.

Mike McLoughlin

So your thought is that my hips are too far forward and I'm too weight loaded on the front at setup which is causing my hips to sway back in the backswing......  I tried to not bump my hips but then it almost makes it impossible for me to feel the secondary axis tilt.  You also think that my hips swaying back is what's making the duckhooks happen?

I'll continue to work on it.  It sucks because for the front nine two weeks ago I could not miss the greens!  Then in the back everything fell to crap!  It just makes it very frustrating.

I'm also having trouble trying to isolate the hips when I turn.  Do you have any drills for that?

So your thought is that my hips are too far forward and I'm too weight loaded on the front at setup which is causing my hips to sway back in the backswing......  I tried to not bump my hips but then it almost makes it impossible for me to feel the secondary axis tilt.  You also think that my hips swaying back is what's making the duckhooks happen?

I'll continue to work on it.  It sucks because for the front nine two weeks ago I could not miss the greens!  Then in the back everything fell to crap!  It just makes it very frustrating.

I'm also having trouble trying to isolate the hips when I turn.  Do you have any drills for that?

No you can have your spine tilted and your weight forward. You just have to figure out how to turn so that you don't sway when you do it.

Duckhooks are caused by an extreme inside to out swing path. It would be hard to tell what your club is doing from the FO view.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

So your thought is that my hips are too far forward and I'm too weight loaded on the front at setup which is causing my hips to sway back in the backswing......

No, you hips sway back because you have a tendency to sway your hips back. Happened with the "old" set-up as well.

I tried to not bump my hips but then it almost makes it impossible for me to feel the secondary axis tilt.  You also think that my hips swaying back is what's making the duckhooks happen?

I still want you to have the axis tilt, never said not to bump your hips forward, just don't overdo the weight part.

Here's what I would recommend.

- Bump the hips a little forward.

- Don't "load" the weight on the left foot at address or on the backswing.

- Turn the hips in place during the backswing.

And practice at home with your right hip close to a wall, turn and create more "space" between you and the wall during the backswing.

Mike McLoughlin

So.... Would it be fair to say in the backswing I could try to focus on my right hip coming forward instead of going backward?

Sorry for the questions I'm trying to do my best to isolate some of the feels to make sure I am doing the right thing.

EDIT:

Thanks for that link it definitely helps answer some questions!

So.... Would it be fair to say in the backswing I could try to focus on my right hip coming forward instead of going backward?

Sorry for the questions I'm trying to do my best to isolate some of the feels to make sure I am doing the right thing.

I can't tell you exactly what you'll feel, doing the drills helps with that but you do want the right hip moving up and AROUND.

Mike McLoughlin

I don't know if this is exactly the right thing for me to do, but it has helped me with the hip sway to point my right knee towards my left at setup which also seems to help me "bump" the hips forward to.  This seems to keep my hips more in place than before.

I'm still duckhooking the crap out of most of my shots though.....it's crazy!

It definitely seemed to help me on the range last night to have my right knee pointed more towards my left.  It also seemed to speed my hip slide through my down swing and seemed to make timing a lot easier for some reason.

Also, with the right knee trying to stay pointed at the left it also seemed to help me make my backswing shorter because I felt a very noticeable tightening when I got to the top of the swing!  All of this is definitely positive from where I was!  I did not hit many duck hooks and with my irons a nice draw was automatic.  I can't wait to keep working on it because I think I'm really starting to make improvement towards it!!!

No, you hips sway back because you have a tendency to sway your hips back. Happened with the "old" set-up as well.

I still want you to have the axis tilt, never said not to bump your hips forward, just don't overdo the weight part.

Here's what I would recommend.

- Bump the hips a little forward.

- Don't "load" the weight on the left foot at address or on the backswing.

- Turn the hips in place during the backswing.

6b2b4252_matt5.jpeg

And practice at home with your right hip close to a wall, turn and create more "space" between you and the wall during the backswing.

So just like clock work I'm really focused on the right hip not swaying back etc....  Think I have that part figured out and bam go to the range last night and duckhook city again.  Saevel, I'm with you I think my swing path is extremely in to out!  Does anyone know how I can fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

Take my non expert advice for what it's worth, but just from looking it looks like your right hand may be creeping under the grip. I know at least from me personally it's something I fight, and if I let that right hand get too much under I start missing everywhere. Also, just an off topic comment but your follow through hurts my back. :P - that doesn't give you any issues? Just curious.

I can't figure out what you mean by "under the grip."

Update:  I restarted my evolvr account and uploaded two videos on 10/20 so hopefully MVMAC or the other instructors can help me with all of these issues.

That said....I cannot figure out how to stop that duck hook.  I'm focusing on not have hip sway and looking at my right hip in the backswing it does not move back at all.  I'm turning around my right hip like suggested without it swaying back.  I will say in the videos it looks like my left hip because of the turn (I would think) is coming back, but I don't think that is a sway since my right hip is not swaying back. 

I dunno.....I'm lost with this....

• Administrator

That said....I cannot figure out how to stop that duck hook.  I'm focusing on not have hip sway and looking at my right hip in the backswing it does not move back at all.  I'm turning around my right hip like suggested without it swaying back.  I will say in the videos it looks like my left hip because of the turn (I would think) is coming back, but I don't think that is a sway since my right hip is not swaying back. 

I dunno.....I'm lost with this....

Your hips should not turn around the right hip: they should turn around their center. Both hip sockets will orbit around the center. If your right hip is staying in place but your left hip is moving back, you're swaying. Less than most people, but still, a sway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!