IGNORED

Greg Norman: Woods is 'intimidated' by McIlroy

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I think Norman is just upset because Tiger won't "bromance" with him.  He has repeated whined about Tiger not calling him.

Thats the first thing I thought of ... losing respect for GN with all his negative Tiger comments.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

wow, I certainly don't put Greg Norman at the same level as Arnie, Jack, and Tiger.  I just remember him hitting big cuts off the tee until the metal woods took over.  He had a good run and was dominant for a bit but nothing to the extend of the people that he's comparing himself too.  I think he's been more successful in course design, apparel, and wine.  Regrettfully what most people remember about his golf career is the collapse at the Masters, Scott Hoch was glad to pass that baton though.

Originally Posted by stealthduffer

I'm more amused that Greg Norman thinks he "took it" from Jack (Nicklaus).  He was one of many excellent players in that era - Nick Faldo, Curtis Strange, Ben Crenshaw, Scott Simpson, Cory Pavin, Payne Stewart, etc. etc. - but never dominated the way Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods have.  He was certainly iconic during that period but with 2 majors he needs to be careful that he doesn't strain a shoulder patting himself on the back.

LOL agreed. What did it, Greg - your fanned 5-iron into the gallery at the 18th at Augusta in 1986 that 'took' it from Jack? Blowing the 1996 Masters? Maybe it was losing the playoff to Fuzzy in the 1984 US Open. What choke job 'took' it from Jack?

Greg has a history of this - he has quite an inflated view of himself. Sure, he was good. But two British Open wins doesn't constitute taking anything from Jack.

Re Tiger being intimidated by Rory, doubtful. Just read Greg's own words -

“What seeing is that Tiger’s really intimidated by Rory,” Norman said, according to the report. “When have you ever seen him intimidated by another player? Never.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
Originally Posted by RayG

To be brutally honest, the way Tiger has played in weekend rounds, he'd be intimidated by a club pro from a Muni.

Yeah, 68 66 71 68 SUCKS!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To be brutally honest, the way Tiger has played in weekend rounds, he'd be intimidated by a club pro from a Muni.

HATER

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Yea and Rory has sucked ass too....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by mvmac

Greg Norman recently weighted in on the "handing of the baton" to Rory from Tiger.  Norman thinks Tiger's bromance with Rory is a sign of insecurity.  I disagree, I think Tiger feels like he has a lot in common with Rory, especially the part about being golf phenoms and under the spotlight of the media.  I don't think Tiger is handing out any batons at this point in his career.

Norman is just still pissed that Tiger had the career in actuality that Norma had only in his own mind.  And Norman is one of the few guys whose marital record is just as bad.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I'm not refuting Norman was a great player, but to say he took over from Nicklaus is like saying Nicklaus took over from Ben Hogan.

If there was a player who "took over" from Nicklaus, it was Tom Watson or Seve Ballesteros . . . then came Norman.

I thought Nicklaus took over from Bobby Jones.  Or was it Harry Vardon?

You might want to actually check the cores before making a ridiculous statement like this.  It makes your bias and animosity just a little too evident.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

How many weeks did Norman sit at #1?  I think he could justifiably claim to have been the dominant player of his period.  I dont subscribe to the theory that winning majors is the be all and end all of judging a players career.  Plenty of no names have won majors.  Will they be remembered as great because of that?  Nope.  But no, I dont think Tiger is intimidated by Rory.  The ego wouldnt allow it.

In my  :sunmountain: H2NO bag:

910 D3 (9.5° - A1 setting)

910 F-d (15° - A1 setting)

4DX (20°)

:mizuno: MP64 (4-6) MP69 (7-PW)

:mizuno: MP-T4 (50°), (54°), :callaway: Jaws (60°)

Select Newport 2 2012)

Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop

+1. Definitely agree with this sentiment. Mind you, Norman might know something about what intimidation body language might look like given his performance in his Masters implosion when in the company of Faldo.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Your president Theodore Roosevelt summed it up nicely.  Its easy to point out when someone else fails.  At least he was there competing.  Has anyone stopped to consider the context of Norman's comments?  Perhaps he was asked his opinion?  Or is it because its Tiger no one else should comment..ever?

In my  :sunmountain: H2NO bag:

910 D3 (9.5° - A1 setting)

910 F-d (15° - A1 setting)

4DX (20°)

:mizuno: MP64 (4-6) MP69 (7-PW)

:mizuno: MP-T4 (50°), (54°), :callaway: Jaws (60°)

Select Newport 2 2012)

I wonder if Tiger is giving Rory any pointers on how to manage all the "strange" without getting caught and having it blow up. See...Rory can still learn a LOT from Tiger. Imagine the private parties those guys could throw together!

Norman is just still pissed that Tiger had the career in actuality that Norma had only in his own mind.  And Norman is one of the few guys whose marital record is just as bad. I thought Nicklaus took over from Bobby Jones.  Or was it Harry Vardon? You might want to actually check the cores before making a ridiculous statement like this.  It makes your bias and animosity just a little too evident.

Masters- 72, 75 T40 Players- 72, 73 T40 US Open- 75, 73 T21 Barclays- 72, 76 T38 Not to mention missing more cuts than in his career previous or something. Not exactly instilling fear into the competition

I was really too young to be serious into watching the TV when Norman was "good" but I always liked him because of the shark logo, lol. d:x

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

I think subconsciously there is something to it. I've never seen Tiger buddy up to someone like this. There has to be a little something there. But on the course I doubt any of these guys are intimidated by anyone.

R11s driver

R11 3 wood

Glide sole design 5 wood

Cleveland CG16 irons

Vokey SM4 48*, Vokey SM4 52*, Vokey SM4 56* wedges

Yes! Eleanor putter

Originally Posted by Willie Malay

I think subconsciously there is something to it. I've never seen Tiger buddy up to someone like this. There has to be a little something there. But on the course I doubt any of these guys are intimidated by anyone.

guessing the reason they're friends is because rory helped tiger make some money by being on the cover of Tiger's EA Sports video game.  it's a business/friendship relationship going on.  it'll probably grow even stronger if rors switches to nike.

Originally Posted by Willie Malay

I have and I'm not even a big fan of Woods, so maybe I just got lucky and saw him with O'Meara, Stricker, Kim, and a few others on the extremely rare occasions he had what seemed like friendship with another human being.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!