IGNORED

Fred Couples voted into the Hall of Fame, Creating some Controversy

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

While I too like Freddie -and who doesnt?!...this HOF thing is bit much.

His response sounded like he, too was a bit taken aback -perhaps embarrassed, by the whole thing...frankly a silly HOF voting procedure made it so.  If there are no substantive candidates in any given year they should simply say so and induct no one in order to protect the integrity of the hall and avoid it becoming some kind of popularity contest...

jeez....what's next ? Ricky Fowler?    : )

Originally Posted by joekelly

And relatedly,  i cannot accept another man dissing Fred's, or any other man's, choice of woman. Behind the facade we each build and maintain there often  lies  a very different person that we cannot discern.

What's this about people dissing his woman?  Who is his woman anyway?  I actually was curious to know if he was married when I saw him in that commercial where he shows up at a younger woman's house to take her out on a date.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Zeph

Looking at the list from the HOF, it's obvious this has got little to do with playing golf. Which makes Fred a legit pick.

2012 Peter Alliss

Ha. I hear the "Hit it harder, Alice" comment  18 times a around, And I gather the original line was directed at Peter Aliss. Is that listed in his HOF resume?

Originally Posted by k-troop

He wasn't a ho-hum average player, but to characterize winning as "just a stat" is understating it a bit.  And as was originally pointed out, O'Meara had more wins, and more majors, but Freddy got the vote over O'Meara.  I don't care how many fairways Freddy hit, if O'Meara won more tournaments, and more majors, then he was the better player of that era.

So what's the difference?  Why did Freddy get in and Mark-O didn't?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEfree

When comparing Couples to O'Meara (who is about 2.5 years older) I see that Couples was a World #1 and won over 50% more $ on the PGA Tour with 162 Top 10s compared to 119 for O`Meara (who played 60 more tour events than Couples).  O`Meara failed to make 222 cuts compared to 118 for Couples.

Overall, Couples had a slightly higher win % and much higher top 10, top 25 and made cut % than O'Meara on the PGA Tour.  On the Champions Tour, Feddy has won 8 times in 37 events while Mark has won twice in 100 events.

Looks and popularity aside, I would say Freddy was (and still is) a better player than Mark.

I agree that while accomplished, Couples may not appear to be an obvious HOFer.  However, when looking at players his age or OLDER he is #1 on the PGA Tours all time $ list (with Perry and Calcavecchia being the only SRs ahead of him, but slightly younger)

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Originally Posted by joekelly

And relatedly,  i cannot accept another man dissing Fred's, or any other man's, choice of woman. Behind the facade we each build and maintain there often  lies  a very different person that we cannot discern.

Good for you, Joe. Well said. Fred's first wife committed suicide years after they were divorced and after the Brit Open bar incident, the second died of cancer when they were estranged. Feel bad for the man: a good woman and the ability to stick with her is what seperates most men from being either decent or *******. Looks like Fred didn't meet his HOF'er.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Originally Posted by DocWu1948

Ha. I hear the "Hit it harder, Alice" comment  18 times a around, And I gather the original line was directed at Peter Aliss. Is that listed in his HOF resume?

You have no idea what a prick this guy is...he's made his name as a paid mouthpiece for the BBC, but essentially the players feel he's an anachronism and out-of-touch. Which he no doubt is - he's there for the cake-eaters and bridge players of British golf club membership.

You have no idea how lucky you are to have Johnny Miller, Faldo, Feherty, Kostis...they leave this guy in the dust.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Originally Posted by photoballmarker

By the narrowest of margins Fred Couples should be in the golf Hall of Fame.

That narrowest of margins to me is "Boom Boom".

Fred "Boom Boom" Couples is loved by the fans and golf is entertainment and part of being a Hall of Famer is to be appreciated by the fans.

Mark O'Meara had a similar career but what nickname is he known by?

So, the voters got it right by the narrowest of margins is very appropriate.

You made me chuckle.. I know Mark's nickname..  Mark It'Neara, because he gained a reputation of CHEATING when marking and remarking his ball on the greens.. LOL Someone should of told Mark how easy it is for cameras to pick up the slightest thing..   Anyways.. GHoF is more of a popularity award then anything, which is no different then other sports HoF.. There is more to a career then just statistics.. Fred may not of had the record we all wish he had, but given his back problems, I'm glad to see him inducted..

"The voters consist of international golf and sports media, Hall of Fame members, golf and sports historians and dignitaries from each of the major golf organizations.

Couples jokingly referred to the election as a popularity contest, although it did raise questions."

Above from recent USAToday newspaper.  Just to inform us who is doing the voting.

Erik, do you get a vote?

Originally Posted by k-troop

He wasn't a ho-hum average player, but to characterize winning as "just a stat" is understating it a bit.  And as was originally pointed out, O'Meara had more wins, and more majors, but Freddy got the vote over O'Meara.  I don't care how many fairways Freddy hit, if O'Meara won more tournaments, and more majors, then he was the better player of that era.

So what's the difference?  Why did Freddy get in and Mark-O didn't?

LOL,, How would I know, Go ask the HOF or all the people that had a vote!!!

Personally I think Couples had more talent than O'meara or DLIII, but that's just my opinion, obviously those guy's had more wins and on paper deserve to be in as well. If anything this will probably open the door for them to get in so hold on to your hat and be patient grasshopper!!

I'd put a lot of money on DLIII getting in next year if he captain's a winning RC team this year. But if he doesn't he's probably a lock to get in anyways. As far as O'Meara, I would have figured he would have already gotten in just on the merit of being Tiger's "bestest friend ever" when Tiger first came out on tour! Just kidding, but O'Meara will probably get in with DLIII, or the year after.

All three of these players were among the best of their era from the early 80's to the mid 90's but none of them set the world on fire or had a record that would rival a Tom Watson or Nick Faldo so I think they will all get in but spread out over time.

Every hall of fame in every sport has those guy's that you wonder why is this guy in and not that guy. Look at the name of the place "Hall of Fame", or "Famous". They don't call it the "Hall of the Statistically Greatest Player's Ever",,,lol Wow that would be a long name for the place!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Originally Posted by Parker0065

LOL,, How would I know, Go ask the HOF or all the people that had a vote!!!

Personally I think Couples had more talent than O'meara or DLIII, but that's just my opinion, obviously those guy's had more wins and on paper deserve to be in as well. If anything this will probably open the door for them to get in so hold on to your hat and be patient grasshopper!!

I'd put a lot of money on DLIII getting in next year if he captain's a winning RC team this year. But if he doesn't he's probably a lock to get in anyways. As far as O'Meara, I would have figured he would have already gotten in just on the merit of being Tiger's "bestest friend ever" when Tiger first came out on tour! Just kidding, but O'Meara will probably get in with DLIII, or the year after.

All three of these players were among the best of their era from the early 80's to the mid 90's but none of them set the world on fire or had a record that would rival a Tom Watson or Nick Faldo so I think they will all get in but spread out over time.

Every hall of fame in every sport has those guy's that you wonder why is this guy in and not that guy. Look at the name of the place "Hall of Fame", or "Famous". They don't call it the "Hall of the Statistically Greatest Player's Ever",,,lol Wow that would be a long name for the place!

I agree about Davis Love III getting in, but on paper, Couples has had a better golf career than O'Meara with 55 professional wins compared to 34 for O'Meara.  The only thing O'Meara has over Fred is 1 extra major, but Fred played the Majors better overall with more than double the Top 5s and Top 10s than Mark.  Couples also has more Players Championships, Sr Majors, scoring titles, money list titles and POY awards than O'Meara not to mention being a World #1 with more President's Cup appearances (player and Captain) and wins than O'Meara.  O'Meara missed the cut in 1 out of 3 PGA Tour events he played, much worse than Couples (1 in 5) or Love (1 in 4+).  While very good, O'Meara's golf resume is not nearly as impressive as Couples or Love.

O'Meara Couples
Major Wins 2 1
Major Top 5s 5 12
Major Top 10s 11 26
Players Championships 0 2
Total PGA Tour Wins 16 15
PGA Tour Winning % 2.42% 2.49%
PGA Tour Top 10s 119 162
PGA Tour Top 25s 236 296
PGA Tour Made Cut % 66% 80%
PGA Tour Earnings $  14,169,805 $  22,276,316
Player of the Year 1 2
Leading $ Winner 0 1
Vardon Trophy 0 1
Champions Tour Wins 2 8
Champions Tour Majors 1 2
JW World Golf Championships 0 2
Euro Tour Wins (other) 3 2
Japan Tour Wins 2 0
World Cup Win (Indiv) 0 1
World Cup Wins (Team) 1 4
"Other" Wins 10 23
Total Professional Wins 34 55
Ryder Cup Player 5 5
Ryder Cup Wins 2 2
Presidents Cup Player 2 5
Presidents Cup Captain 0 2
Presidents Cup Wins 1 5
Dunhill Cup Player 1 4
Former World #1 No Yes

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

You have no idea what a prick this guy is...he's made his name as a paid mouthpiece for the BBC, but essentially the players feel he's an anachronism and out-of-touch. Which he no doubt is - he's there for the cake-eaters and bridge players of British golf club membership. You have no idea how lucky you are to have Johnny Miller, Faldo, Feherty, Kostis...they leave this guy in the dust.

Plus1.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Parker0065

Personally I think Couples had more talent than O'meara or DLIII, but that's just my opinion,

Here's a hall of fame comment!

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by MEfree

O'Meara

Couples

Major Wins

Major Top 5s

Major Top 10s

Players Championships

Total PGA Tour Wins

PGA Tour Winning %

2.42%

2.49%

PGA Tour Top 10s

PGA Tour Top 25s

PGA Tour Made Cut %

66%

80%

PGA Tour Earnings

$  14,169,805

$  22,276,316

Player of the Year

Leading $ Winner

Vardon Trophy

Champions Tour Wins

Champions Tour Majors

JW World Golf Championships

Euro Tour Wins (other)

Japan Tour Wins

World Cup Win (Indiv)

World Cup Wins (Team)

"Other" Wins

Total Professional Wins

Ryder Cup Player

Ryder Cup Wins

Presidents Cup Player

Presidents Cup Captain

Presidents Cup Wins

Dunhill Cup Player

Former World #1

No

Yes

Looking at that list for Couples is impressive.  I don't have any issues with him being inducted.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Looking at that list for Couples is impressive.  I don't have any issues with him being inducted.

I do.

I don't think Mark O'Meara or Fred should be in the Hall of Fame.

It's watered down. The fact that they have to induct several people every year guarantees that it will be.

The LPGA requirements are pretty harsh, too harsh perhaps, but I'd rather prefer to see that type of criteria used rather than this "we have to find SOMEONE to induct" mentality.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!