IGNORED

Would Snedeker Trade FEC for Green Jacket?

lville lefty
Note: This thread is 4194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Would Snedeker Trade the Fed Ex Cup for a Green Jacket?

• Yes
    • No

There was a thread posted last month discussing the importance of the Fed Ex Cup versus the majors.  Seems most felt the FEC would never equal or surpass the majors in importance.  So, here's the question, If Snedeker was asked,  "would you trade the FEC for a Green Jacket" how would he answer?

As a side note, I love Snedekers pace of play.

Yes - he has plenty of money.

But a green jacket is priceless ... and it brings in money.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Green Jack in a heartbeat.  Winning a tournament with 30 of the best players is good but it is no where near as impressive as winning one with ~100 (after you take out amateurs, winners past primes,...).  Besides the green jacket is probably worth more money long term.

Originally Posted by lville lefty

There was a thread posted last month discussing the importance of the Fed Ex Cup versus the majors.  Seems most felt the FEC would never equal or surpass the majors in importance.  So, here's the question, If Snedeker was asked,  "would you trade the FEC for a Green Jacket" how would he answer?

As a side note, I love Snedekers pace of play.

I can't imagine that any PGA Tour player would rather have the Fedex title than a Master's win. Can anyone name the Fedex winners for the last 5 years? Can you name the Master's winner's over the same time period?

I agree that a Masters is better for a variety of reasons including return invites to Augusta

Originally Posted by MSchott

I can't imagine that any PGA Tour player would rather have the Fedex title than a Master's win. Can anyone name the Fedex winners for the last 5 years? Can you name the Master's winner's over the same time period?

Off the top of my head, I think after seeing the telecast yesterday, I know all the Fed Ex, but may miss a Masters or two

FEC

2007 & 2009 Tiger

2008 Vijay

2010 JF

2011 Bill Haas

Masters

2012 Bubba

2011 C Swartzel

2010 Phil?

2009 Angel Cabrerra

2008 Trevor Immelman?

2007 Zach Johnson?

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I still reckon $11.4 million goes quite a long way.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

If he was short on cash the $11+M will help but in terms of his golf legacy the win yesterday won't look much different than his other PGA Tour wins.   I'd guess initially a pro athlete wants the cash but once their established it becomes more about leaving their mark in the sport.   Maybe in the future the FEC will gain in status and if not the 5th Major, become something close to it.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Stretch

I still reckon $11.4 million goes quite a long way.

No kidding. How could anyone say with certainty that someone would give up $10 million dollars? Do players like Snedeker and Dufner seem consumed by the majors? What does one major do for a person's legacy? Are Steve Jones or Todd Hamilton thought of more highly than Lee Westwood or Adam Scott?

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

No kidding. How could anyone say with certainty that someone would give up $10 million dollars? Do players like Snedeker and Dufner seem consumed by the majors? What does one major do for a person's legacy? Are Steve Jones or Todd Hamilton thought of more highly than Lee Westwood or Adam Scott?

No major removes you're Hall of Fame chances, if that means anything to these guys.

Without his Master's win, Freddy doesn't get into Hall of Fame - barely got in anyway with 51% of vote (below the minimum % - but he was the highest guy above 50%).

$10 mil - Masters win nets you  $1m and exhibitions and endorsements to make a lot of that $10 mil back. Besides, Snedeker made $5 mil just this year...

So do you want to be Bubba or Snedeker?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

No major removes you're Hall of Fame chances, if that means anything to these guys.

Without his Master's win, Freddy doesn't get into Hall of Fame - barely got in anyway with 51% of vote (below the minimum % - but he was the highest guy above 50%).

$10 mil - Masters win nets you  $1m and exhibitions and endorsements to make a lot of that $10 mil back. Besides, Snedeker made $5 mil just this year...

So do you want to be Bubba or Snedeker?

I guess it doesn't matter which I'd want, but as a person I'd lean toward Sneds. The OP was asking if Snedeker would trade a green jacket for the FedEx win. He's nowhere near HOF level yet, even though he's about to play in his first Ryder Cup and looks to be rounding into form in his career. I voted "no" because it's closer to "I don't know" which is my real answer. Until Brandt logs onto this site and says otherwise, I'll stick with "I don't know".

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Id bet he would.  The FEC is a great accolade but its no major.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

It's really, really hard to say no to $10,000,000.  Sneds may have made $5mil this year, but that's half a career's worth of cash for most guys that see the tour.  To turn away double that amount in a day, based on a potential for "legacy" seems pretty iffy.

So, how much is the green jacket worth?  Let's say that Snedeker is on par with Mike Weir:  he's had a phenomenal year, he'll have an above average year next year, and then maybe fade into 115th in the world obscurity.  (Just for argument sake--I'm not commenting on Sned's potential.)  So how much is that green jacket going to be worth to that golfer?  He'll get a spike in endorsements for a couple of years, and some appearance fees.  He'll get to play in the Grand Slam, which will be worth a few hundred thousand.  He'll get to come back to the Masters for the next 25 years, probably make the cut (in a weak field) 2/3 of the time, and cash at least one decent paycheck every year that he wouldn't have access to without the green jacket.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Well, y'a'll have made persuasive points. Golfers are independent contractors - there are no guarantees.

Upon further review, I think his wife would ask him to take the $10 mil, and he would do so.

He does have a primary responsibility towards his wife and daughter, and his family.

He hopes for the Masters Win.

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-troop

It's really, really hard to say no to $10,000,000.  Sneds may have made $5mil this year, but that's half a career's worth of cash for most guys that see the tour.  To turn away double that amount in a day, based on a potential for "legacy" seems pretty iffy.

So, how much is the green jacket worth?  Let's say that Snedeker is on par with Mike Weir:  he's had a phenomenal year, he'll have an above average year next year, and then maybe fade into 115th in the world obscurity.  (Just for argument sake--I'm not commenting on Sned's potential.)  So how much is that green jacket going to be worth to that golfer?  He'll get a spike in endorsements for a couple of years, and some appearance fees.  He'll get to play in the Grand Slam, which will be worth a few hundred thousand.  He'll get to come back to the Masters for the next 25 years, probably make the cut (in a weak field) 2/3 of the time, and cash at least one decent paycheck every year that he wouldn't have access to without the green jacket.

Why are we being asked what someone else would do in a situation that could never possibly eventuate?

These hypotheticals are getting more and more absurd.

Why not just be happy for Snedeker? It was only YESTERDAY that he won.

Already, people havev to start inane polls where they're are basically questioning the importance/validity of his achievement.

Just be glad it wasn't Furyk Or Watson.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Why are we being asked what someone else would do in a situation that could never possibly eventuate?

These hypotheticals are getting more and more absurd.

Why not just be happy for Snedeker? It was only YESTERDAY that he won.

Already, people havev to start inane polls where they're are basically questioning the importance/validity of his achievement.

Just be glad it wasn't Furyk Or Watson.

Shorty, the question is a follow-up to a previous thread posted about the importance of the FEC  which garnered quite a bit of interest and comments among the SandTrap audience.  We are all happy for Snedeker. And it was yesterday that he won.  It is still fresh in everyone's mind so the timing is perfect to ask a question about the importance of the FEC.  What you like to discuss if not the FEC?

I have absolutely no clue what Snedeker would do, but for me it would all depend on the situation (financial, majors/tournaments won, etc.).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!