IGNORED

Bubba Watson and Cheering...are we seeing a new trend?

NathanGreen
Note: This thread is 4196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So that was a fantastic first drive by Bubba...and the way he got the crowd hooping and hollering as he was stepping up to drive made it all the more special.  I know it is "proper" and "etiquette" to keep quiet but it certainly adds something to the game to hear the cheering....

wonder if we will see more of that?

What do people think?

Well I thought it was fantastic!  But I suspect we will only see it at a one off special event like the Ryder Cup...but it certainly makes it much more exciting...

Originally Posted by NathanGreen

So that was a fantastic first drive by Bubba...and the way he got the crowd hooping and hollering as he was stepping up to drive made it all the more special.  I know it is "proper" and "etiquette" to keep quiet but it certainly adds something to the game to hear the cheering....

What do people think?

I thought it was great. Like with tennis, I have never understood the need for total silence while hitting a shot. Surely a lot of noise makes it harder for one particular sound to distract a player?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Interesting point of view and I would tend to agree.  I think the more noise the better - as long as it is respectful etc and not just taunting etc.  The way it was done for Bubba was great! But I just think that it might descend into something less respectful if it became more commonplace

If people keep inching closer and closer to impact with their "GET IN THE HOLE!!!!"s, who knows.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You'll see him doing it when he is playing well and sucking up to the crowd. The rest of the time he'll be the pissed off and shitty jerk he usually is. Unless of course he has the opportunity to make a BS video designed to change the way people think about him.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

I thought it was great. Like with tennis, I have never understood the need for total silence while hitting a shot. Surely a lot of noise makes it harder for one particular sound to distract a player?

A lot of noise can be distracting. It is why Women's tennis is so impossible to watch anymore. All the grunting and shrieking they do to throw off their competitors is getting worse and its annoying.

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Originally Posted by NathanGreen

What do people think?

It was cool today with Bubba and Keegan playing to the crowd in the afternoon. I just would not hold my breath waiting for that kinda of interaction at say the US Open or pretty much any regular PGA event.

I saw what he was doing, and I thought.....HAPPY GILMORE.......

Lots of parrallels here.......both hit it a mile.......both have an unconventional swing......both like to win.......I wonder if Bubba has any big checks in the back of his car???  Or if he knows one-handed Carl Weathers???

Actually, Sergio looks a lot more like Adam Sandler, and he definitely has the temper of Happy, and he's right handed.....so maybe a hybrid of the two of them???

I thought it was great and fun for a one-off......get the crowd hyped and I think it got everyone going......

Originally Posted by jamo

If people keep inching closer and closer to impact with their "GET IN THE HOLE!!!!"s, who knows.

Nice thing is, it totally drowns out those jerks. I like it - I can see it taking some of the edge off the pressure of a tee shot on the first hole. I mean, I know these guys are good, but you gotta think it runs thru their minds, "There's 10 thousand people surrounding me & it's totally silent..."

I thought it was awesome.  Honestly, if I were a tour pro Id have my caddy get the crowd hyped up like that on all of my tee shots.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

They are changing the rules to eliminate the grunting from womens tennis.  The rule is in effect for the Juniors so that up and comers won't be accustomed to doing it.  Eventually it will be enforced for the pro's.

Originally Posted by Stewie007

A lot of noise can be distracting. It is why Women's tennis is so impossible to watch anymore. All the grunting and shrieking they do to throw off their competitors is getting worse and its annoying.

Joe Paradiso

Bubba Watson whipped up the crowds at the start of his round, as did Ian Poulter. If you think that's cool, fine.

People playing music in their carts, the idiot who yells "In the Hole..." after a tee shot on 450 yd. par 4, and crowds whooping it up on the tee box... these are trends I don't care for.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Bubba Watson whipped up the crowds at the start of his round, as did Ian Poulter. If you think that's cool, fine.

People playing music in their carts, the idiot who yells "In the Hole..." after a tee shot on 450 yd. par 4, and crowds whooping it up on the tee box... these are trends I don't care for.

How was Bubba's drive on that hole (second time around - against Poulter) because when he was reaching for his tee it looked like he was chewing on a garlic flavoured lemon.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

How was Bubba's drive on that hole (second time around - against Poulter) because when he was reaching for his tee it looked like he was chewing on a garlic flavoured lemon.

Considering Bubba's 2nd shot was from somewhere in the hospitality area, Id say this little trend is all but dead.  Its a shame, really because I thought it was pretty awesome.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 4196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!