IGNORED

Putting.....watch the putter or the ball

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 4108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you look at the ball or watch the putter

• Putter
    • Ball

• Administrator
Originally Posted by zipazoid

I didn't say that's how people should putt. I said that's how I putt & it works for me.

Seems we have similar issues with reading comprehension, Erik.

No problems here. I didn't think you were saying everyone should putt that way, but you're naive if you don't think some would take your "challenge" as a sort of bragging that you've discovered a better way to putt, and by extension, that they should consider it too.

FWIW I don't look at anything. Dave looks at a spot just in front of the ball. We're working on a system for alignment as well which involves this sort of stuff. Details tk.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Iacas, I notice you just changed your profile picture? Recent trip?

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

Originally Posted by iacas

No problems here. I didn't think you were saying everyone should putt that way, but you're naive if you don't think some would take your "challenge" as a sort of bragging that you've discovered a better way to putt, and by extension, that they should consider it too.

FWIW I don't look at anything. Dave looks at a spot just in front of the ball. We're working on a system for alignment as well which involves this sort of stuff. Details tk.

The challenge was based on someone's post that said looking at the putter would lead to disastrous results. I was just saying it works for me & I will show you how well it does. I'll look at the putter, you look at whatever you want includuing pics of Kate Beckinsale if that's your thing.

Was simply saying looking at the putter has not brought any disastrous results for me. And yes, since I have had good results with it, why not try it? It will either work or it won't.

So let's see if I can cobble together a statement that is clear & without bragging or implying it's a better way to putt:

I putt by looking at the putter. It has provided very good results for me. Others may want to try it.

As with everything in golf, there is no right or wrong answer. The game is littered with great players that do things that most teachers would tell their students to avoid like the plague. If it works for you, it works.

Personally, I focus on the back of the ball, right where the putter will strike it, and try to focus on that spot until after the ball has left my field of vision.

Tyler Martin

• 3 months later...
I was out recently playing with an older fellow who told me to look into a concept called quiet eyes... Very interesting.. I used to always look at the putter and now I look at the back of the ball. Major difference I have found ESP with a pressure putt is it takes your mind out of the stroke when you focus on the back of the ball it somehow keeps your mind idle. Read the quiet eye research, good stuff! I think mainly when you watch the putter you are thinking about technique which they say you shouldn't think of anything but the ball dropping in the hole. Good luck

Zip is probably moving his head so much during the putting stroke because he's scanning the green perimeter for a lost wedge left by another player to take and keep as his own............LOL

Multitasking...........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Great thread! I was absolutely shocked by the poll results given as of now... 1/5 look at the putter! I thought it was going to be myself and the OP! I have given this issue a lot of thought over the past few years... mainly because I just don't know whether I started putting this way, or developed the putter spy technique when I started seriously working on my game. That info is officially lost... so only speculation remains. I putter spy because it improves my contact and provides feedback both during practice and during a round. If you're used to it, there are no ill affects. It's hard to imagine for those that don't do it... just like it's hard for me to look at the ball. Mechanically my putting is good, so my area of improvement is green reading... not starting from scratch just so I can "conform" and look at the ball. I've briefly attempted to change and it's just not worth the time and effort when the benefit to the results will not be noticeable. If it ain't broke...

Zip is probably moving his head so much during the putting stroke because he's scanning the green perimeter for a lost wedge left by another player to take and keep as his own............LOL Multitasking...........;-)

[quote name="David in FL" url="/t/62434/putting-watch-the-putter-or-the-ball/18#post_773477"] I've never really thought about it, but I tend to watch the putter......and I'm not at all happy with my putting. Not horrid, but not to the level that I think it should be either. I'll reconsider......[/quote] Since my decision to "reconsider", I've stopped looking at the putter. The FIRST round I did that I shot my career best round and first 72. Certainly not solely based on putting, but I did put very well that day. Sadly, I haven't repeated that round since, a lone 75 being as close as I've come.... Overall I think my putting has improved a bit, especially short putts that I don't seem to push or pull as much as I used to......perhaps as a result of my head remaining steadier throughout the stroke? What really surprised me though is that my lag putting seems to have improved a bit as well. I didn't expect that..... I know this is anecdotal and only based on a few months, but Im sticking with not watching the putter head for now.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Zip is probably moving his head so much during the putting stroke because he's scanning the green perimeter for a lost wedge left by another player to take and keep as his own............LOL

Multitasking...........

When the putterhead moves 6-18 inches away from the ball (depending on the length of the putt), you can follow it with your eyes while keeping your head still.

That's multitasking.

After reading Stockton's book, I began looking at a point an inch or two in front of the ball along the line of the putt, and keep my eyes there - It allows less ball focus (less likely to get the yips), and a smoother stroke on the ball.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I never thought about this until now - and I am screwed.

• Upvote 1

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I do have to agree with other comments that say you can look at the putter if that works for you. In every sport you have pros that can play with unorthodox swings and techniques, its just something to try. But like anything else if you're going to try it you must commit and spend some time with it. I now look at the ball and noticed that when I do it helps with the yipps because it takes your mind out of it. It is diff and feels weird at first but I also putt left hand low no and that felt the same when I started soon the weirdness wears off and when you start 2 putting and see the 3 putts go away you'll feel more confident.

I used to look at the putter because I focused mainly on how far my backstroke was.  Now I focus on a spot on the ball (but I still see the putter).  Thinking about trying the spot 2 inches in front.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

I used to look at the putter because I focused mainly on how far my backstroke was.  Now I focus on a spot on the ball (but I still see the putter).  Thinking about trying the spot 2 inches in front.

It took several times to grow accustomed to it...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Judging from my ID, you can tell I ain't the best putter out there. I would stare at my toenails if it helped at this point. I had some success when I watched the hole, but it felt uncomfortable and my distance was off. Now I watch the ball.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Originally Posted by clarkeycats

Yeah, that's what I do, almost like looking through the ball. I never thought of looking at the putter because I can't imagine moving my head would help.

Just to reiterate, you can look at the putter without moving your head . Just follow it with your eyes - it never leaves your peripheral vision. Unless it's like a 100-footer.

Note: This thread is 4108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!