IGNORED

Big Break: Greenbrier

JetFan1983
Note: This thread is 4142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I think it's pretty awesome Mario B is his teacher.... he teaches about 30 seconds from my home course. I probably should get a lesson.

Speaking to Mike (Mvmac) - Mario is a great dude.  I really respect what Mike has to say - and if he endorses Mario... Then I'd say that wouldn't be a bad idea.  And it doesn't hurt that he is a certified 5SK instructor.  And you're a frequent TSTer - which pretty much has the 5SK gurus on here that you know a thing or two about the golf swing.

Yea, he's 5SK, Aimpoint, MORAD, and TGM certified. And I've always wanted to see what Trump national looks like from the inside.

Currently, I'm driving about 80 minutes south to see my Stack and Tilt guy every now and then... I feel pretty loyal to him because he's helped me so much. I feel like I'd be cheating on him haha

That said, I should just go and do it. I always rip on people for saying they are S&T; when they've never gotten a S&T; lesson, so I'd feel like a hypocrite talking up 5SK having not gotten an actual lesson from an authorized guy. Plus, he'd make me better. I can't forget that last, and most important, point.

It's so rare having a good instructor near you it's pretty dumb of me not taking advantage of that. The gas money I'd save driving to see him instead of my S&T; guy would basically pay for the lessons by itself haha.

And just so this isn't a totally off-topic post...

The Greenbrier looks beautiful. I'd love to spend a couple nights there sometime.

• Upvote 1

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And just so this isn't a totally off-topic post...

The Greenbrier looks beautiful. I'd love to spend a couple nights there sometime.

Agreed with your entire post!  But to get this puppy back on track... Yes!  Greenbrier looks damn nice!!  I grew up in central Ohio - and West Virginia isn't far.  I wouldn't mind taking a trip there with my pops to play.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Is that what you think they were all using?  It looked like most of them had less lofted clubs in their hands, like 4 irons maybe.

The most fascinating part of the whole drill to me was to see the different mentalities.  Most of them "hurried" but didn't rush, but a couple of them seemed to forget that there was a clock on them, and a couple (I believe Stuart was one) were just hacking at the ground with crazy speed, hardly aiming, breathing or anything.  You could also get a look into their thought process based on which target they used.

Along those same lines, you got a glimpse into their confidence/bravado/strategy when they did the second challenge and they had to pick their distances blindly.  I was really surprised only 2 of them picked the same distance twice.  That seemed like the smart move.

I'm not sure what they were using but those are the clubs I would personally use to try and break the glass.  My 5 iron punch shot(the way I hit them, that is) doesn't get more than 5 feet off the ground usually so I would probably be under the glass at the distances they were hitting.

As far as the approach challenge.  It was kind of a tough call.  Do you play two shots from the same spot and have a shorter distance?  Do you take the risk of hitting a long approach to get an advantage?  My personal strategy would have been to pick two from the same spot at around 170 yards.  Pretty reasonable distance, for me and also a good total yardage if I do the right thing.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

• Administrator

Liam is in my PGA section. And that's all I'll say about that for now. ;)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wow.... he's out. That stinks.

I have to say, that was a really good episode, but I'm pretty bummed right now.

Constantine

I was a little mixed.  He seemed way too cocky for my liking.  He hasn't proven and to act like he did was ridic.  I mean I'm sure he is a legit golfer, but he didn't have to act the way he did.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Quote:

I was a little mixed.  He seemed way too cocky for my liking.  He hasn't proven  and to act like he did was ridic.  I mean I'm sure he is a legit golfer, but he didn't have to act the way he did.

True, he was a bit too bitter about losing.

I was mostly rooting for his swing and overall game than him as a person since I obviously don't know him at all.

I will say though that I'd rather he stayed on than Chan. Nothing against Chan, but its pretty ridiculous watching that guy eat grass before every shot.

Constantine

True, he was a bit too bitter about losing.

I was mostly rooting for his swing and overall game than him as a person since I obviously don't know him at all.

I will say though that I'd rather he stayed on than Chan. Nothing against Chan, but its pretty ridiculous watching that guy eat grass before every shot.

To be fully transparent on how I feel about Liam...

1.) He looks like he needs to take a short game lesson from Mario.

- Hitting a Lob wedge on an uphill chip from ~ 40ft was not very smart.

2.) Chan may be weird... But the dude out played Liam without question.

3.) The first shot Liam hit through the trees was more luck than good.

4.) And then he couldn't sink a 5ft putt after Chan gave him a clear line.  Weak sauce.

I definitely don't disagree. It was a bad day for him on all fronts. Bad iron in immunity challenge no.1. Bad driver in immunity challenge no.2. Poor drivers in elimination. Poor iron from 175 yards on the final hole of elimination. Poor short game in elimination. Poor putter in elimination.

Chan deserved it, no question.

But since I study golf within the same general parameters that Liam does, I was hoping he'd go deeper than two shows. Oh well.

Constantine

Haven't seen the episode yet but heard the result and saw the segment with Michael Breed.  Yeah, Liam's weakness is his putting and he's a quirky kid.  Good for TV Sucks to see him go, just spent a week rooming with his instructor Mario Bevilacqua and he had no idea how Liam finished in the show.  I do think Liam did a good job with Michael Breed on the academy thing, probably some of the best tips ever aired on the Golf Channel.   Too much "weight left" talk from Breed but great demonstration from Liam of a centered pivot using the ground for power.

Here's some video of Liam at the PNC.  One week after the Big Break finished

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

But since I study golf within the same general parameters that Liam does, I was hoping he'd go deeper than two shows. Oh well.

I hear ya.  I wanted to see him do well too due to his SnT/5SK connection.

Chan won because he handled the pressure better and made smarter decisions.  I don't know why Liam selected a lob wedge from 40 feet.  I'm a 20+ handicap and know the odds are against something good coming from such a shot with a lob wedge.  I would have used my putter, a better golfer would have chipped up with another club.

I don't think a few holes of an elimination challenge shows us who the better golfer is, it shows us who is a better golfer that day under pressure.  I'm not saying Chan doesn't deserve the win just pointing out we're not really seeing what these guys are capable of in such abbreviated competitions in an all or nothing situation.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Sticky

I can't believe how many people missed the green on that challenge, 120 yards!?  Really?

Yeah, I'm sure that was pretty humbling for a lot of the guys? The display of great golf was pretty limited on this episode... But I really liked the Draw/Fade challenge... And the three hole elimination was interesting to watch too.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Chan won because he handled the pressure better and made smarter decisions.  I don't know why Liam selected a lob wedge from 40 feet.  I'm a 20+ handicap and know the odds are against something good coming from such a shot with a lob wedge.  I would have used my putter, a better golfer would have chipped up with another club.

I don't think a few holes of an elimination challenge shows us who the better golfer is, it shows us who is a better golfer that day under pressure.  I'm not saying Chan doesn't deserve the win just pointing out we're not really seeing what these guys are capable of in such abbreviated competitions in an all or nothing situation.

Chan rubbed me the wrong way with how he acted when it was his turn for the fade/draw challenge.  Not the quirky grass eating thing, but the chatter and laughter.  Maybe it was just nerves, but he sounded/looked like he didn't care.  (Also didn't like the guy who took a giant chunk out of the tee box with his wedge after he choked)

Does anybody know how long it takes to film this show?  I heard an off-handed comment from one of them who mentioned "yesterday" in regards to the last show, so I'm wondering if each new episode is just another day and the whole thing is over in 2 weeks or so?

Note: This thread is 4142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!