IGNORED

Big Break: Greenbrier

JetFan1983
Note: This thread is 4138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Chan rubbed me the wrong way with how he acted when it was his turn for the fade/draw challenge.  Not the quirky grass eating thing, but the chatter and laughter.  Maybe it was just nerves, but he sounded/looked like he didn't care.  (Also didn't like the guy who took a giant chunk out of the tee box with his wedge after he choked)

Does anybody know how long it takes to film this show?  I heard an off-handed comment from one of them who mentioned "yesterday" in regards to the last show, so I'm wondering if each new episode is just another day and the whole thing is over in 2 weeks or so?

Typical reaction from a Steelers fan. (I'm a Browns fan )

I believe they film the entire show in a week or two (at most).  With 12 contestants - they eliminate one contestant per day for the first several shows.  Then they mix in double eliminations toward the final few days of filming.  So once you get down to 4 or 5 contestants, those last few get eliminated very quickly (several per episode) so that they can have the 18-hole final where the remaining two finalist go head to head, typically in a match play format.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Typical reaction from a Steelers fan.  (I'm a Browns fan )

I believe they film the entire show in a week or two (at most).  With 12 contestants - they eliminate one contestant per day for the first several shows.  Then they mix in double eliminations toward the final few days of filming.  So once you get down to 4 or 5 contestants, those last few get eliminated very quickly (several per episode) so that they can have the 18-hole final where the remaining two finalist go head to head, typically in a match play format.

'Cept I'm a Chargers fan.

Yeah, when you don't spend too much time thinking about it, you tend to assume that they goof around and shoot pool and whatever in their "Real World" house for 6 days out of the week, and then come out to play every Tuesday.  When you stop and think for a second, you realize that is kind of silly.

1 or 2 weeks from the blog a couple months ago.  The other part to remember is that they sit around for a couple of hours in between shots. It makes it really hard to get in a rythmn...

Does anybody know how long it takes to film this show?  I heard an off-handed comment from one of them who mentioned "yesterday" in regards to the last show, so I'm wondering if each new episode is just another day and the whole thing is over in 2 weeks or so?

Originally Posted by x129

1 or 2 weeks from the blog a couple months ago.  The other part to remember is that they sit around for a couple of hours in between shots. It makes it really hard to get in a rythmn...

Yeah, seriously.  That would be hard.  And like one of the guy's yesterday mentioned (the one who went first in last week's glass challenge), he only had to hit one single shot that first day.

Definitely hard to stay sharp when all you do is sit around most of the time.

Yeah, seriously.  That would be hard.  And like one of the guy's yesterday mentioned (the one who went first in last week's glass challenge), he only had to hit one single shot that first day.

Definitely hard to stay sharp when all you do is sit around most of the time.

I've got to believe they have a lot of time on the range - warming up before, between and after challenges?

I've got to believe they have a lot of time on the range - warming up before, between and after challenges?

As somebody who has no clue how TV production really works I am just speculating here, but I would bet there is a lot of down time during the challenges that they can't do anything about.  Especially the 3 hole elimination match.  I'm guessing it takes awhile to set up the cameras for their first tee shots, then they all have to move and get re-setup for the next shots, and it cycles from there.

One thing that always amuses me on these competition type shows like this:  Throughout the entire elimination match, they keep cutting to those "testimonial" things where Liam or Chan are just talking directly to the camera.  And those testimonials are always done from a first person perspective in the present tense, however, they have to be filmed after the fact.  You would think we could get clues from their expressions or words about which one won or lost, but that never happens.  They must film those way after the fact so the "loser" isn't still too dejected and doesn't ruin the suspense.

As somebody who has no clue how TV production really works I am just speculating here, but I would bet there is a lot of down time during the challenges that they can't do anything about.  Especially the 3 hole elimination match.  I'm guessing it takes awhile to set up the cameras for their first tee shots, then they all have to move and get re-setup for the next shots, and it cycles from there.

One thing that always amuses me on these competition type shows like this:  Throughout the entire elimination match, they keep cutting to those "testimonial" things where Liam or Chan are just talking directly to the camera.  And those testimonials are always done from a first person perspective in the present tense, however, they have to be filmed after the fact.  You would think we could get clues from their expressions or words about which one won or lost, but that never happens.  They must film those way after the fact so the "loser" isn't still too dejected and doesn't ruin the suspense.

Definitely not true on the women's seasons of the show, where you'll know which player loses based on how red and puffy her eyes are during the confessionals.

• Upvote 1

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Since Mike and Erik know Mario and Liam... What are the chances of having these two on as guest?  Where Liam comes on and talks about his experience on the show.  And answers questions to TST users.  Would be interesting to see the responses to some of these 'behind the scenes' stuff... Also hear Mario talk about things they have worked on within Liams swing pattern...

• Administrator

Since Mike and Erik know Mario and Liam... What are the chances of having these two on as guest?  Where Liam comes on and talks about his experience on the show.  And answers questions to TST users.  Would be interesting to see the responses to some of these 'behind the scenes' stuff... Also hear Mario talk about things they have worked on within Liams swing pattern...

I'll talk to Mike about it. I think Liam goes to Florida in the winter...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To be fully transparent on how I feel about Liam...

1.) He looks like he needs to take a short game lesson from Mario.

- Hitting a Lob wedge on an uphill chip from ~ 40ft was not very smart.

2.) Chan may be weird... But the dude out played Liam without question.

3.) The first shot Liam hit through the trees was more luck than good.

4.) And then he couldn't sink a 5ft putt after Chan gave him a clear line.  Weak sauce.

I agree on all counts.   What kind of player chooses a lob wedge in that situation?  LOL....that was just plain stupid.  He definitely deserved to go for that play, and missing a short putt after being shown the line.  That was a horrible putt....not even close. Liam seemed like a real egotistical jerk so I won't miss him.  He's the guy who complained about all the rich kids and blamed them for his lack of success.  LOL

My favorite and least favorite after 2 episodes...........

Squatch........my favorite.  How can anyone not like this guy?  He represents himself well on the show.

Brian.....In stark contrast, he's 45 and acts like a child with a bad temper.  My least favorite........he's annoying and he needs to go next.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Squatch........my favorite.  How can anyone not like this guy?  He represents himself well on the show.

Brian.....In stark contrast, he's 45 and acts like a child with a bad temper.  My least favorite........he's annoying and he needs to go next.

Yup, me too.  Brian is the one who tried to embed his club into the tee box after he choked in the first immunity challenge last night, right?

Don't have any strong opinions about other remaining players yet, other than not caring for Chan's seeming lack of caring.

Can't wait to see the guy who chips like Happy Gilmore (like he's holding a hockey stick) in a challenge that involves chipping.  So odd.

Originally Posted by iacas

I'll talk to Mike about it. I think Liam goes to Florida in the winter...

Sounds good.  Do they not have the Internetz in Florida, during the winter?

Yup, me too.  Brian is the one who tried to embed his club into the tee box after he choked in the first immunity challenge last night, right?

Don't have any strong opinions about other remaining players yet, other than not caring for Chan's seeming lack of caring.

Can't wait to see the guy who chips like Happy Gilmore (like he's holding a hockey stick) in a challenge that involves chipping.  So odd.

Yeah, Brian is the dude who threw a tempor tantrum.  And slammed his club into the turf on the tee box.  He is the Steelers fan - check out his belt.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

I agree on all counts.   What kind of player chooses a lob wedge in that situation?  LOL....that was just plain stupid.  He definitely deserved to go for that play, and missing a short putt after being shown the line.  That was a horrible putt....not even close. Liam seemed like a real egotistical jerk so I won't miss him.  He's the guy who complained about all the rich kids and blamed them for his lack of success.  LOL

SQUATCH!!!  He is my favorite too.  Hilarious how he is a giant - but seems very mild mannered and calm.  I don't know if he can make it through the gauntlet of challenges... But he is who I'm rooting for.

And fully agree about Brian.  But I will admit, the fact that he is a Steelers fan makes it harder to like him too? LOL

Yeah, Brian is the dude who threw a tempor tantrum.  And slammed his club into the turf on the tee box.  He is the Steelers fan - check out his belt.

Ah, I get it now ... thought you were calling me a Steelers fan earlier and couldn't figure out why.  This makes more sense. :)

It was cool to see Liam on the Big Break instruction show tonight.  He looks like a replica of the evolution guys and grant waite etc...  It was funny seeing Breed's reaction to Liam swinging in the rough and off a tee.

In my bag

Driver:      SLDR 10.5*

Hybrids:   Taylormade RBZ Stage 2

Irons:       NikeVR PRO 4-PW

Wedges:   Nike VR Pro 50* 54* 58*

Putter:      2014 Newport 2

Ball:          E6

Originally Posted by Hoganwoods

It was cool to see Liam on the Big Break instruction show tonight.  He looks like a replica of the evolution guys and grant waite etc...  It was funny seeing Breed's reaction to Liam swinging in the rough and off a tee.

Yeah his instructor is a MORAD/TGM/5SK guy, Mario Bevilacqua.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoganwoods

Yeah his instructor is a MORAD/TGM/5SK guy, Mario Bevilacqua.

Totally forgot about this. Just set my DVR. Looks like it's repeating at 2:30 AM. Phew. Didn't want to miss that one.

I'm jumping on the Sasquatch bandwagon too BTW

Constantine

Good thing they repeat it 20,000 times a day

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 4138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!