Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Golfingdad

American League MVP is ... ???

0  

  1. 1. Who will be the MVP of the American League in 2012?

    • Miguel Cabrera
      9
    • Mike Trout
      4

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

39 posts in this topic

Miguel Cabrera is on the verge of the first triple crown in the major leagues since 1967, and his current line is (with one game remaining in the season):

.331 BA, .608 SG, 1.002 OPS, 44 HR, 139 RBI, 109 R, 6.9 WAR*

Mike Trout, on the other hand is at:

.324 BA, .561 SG, .958 OPS, 30 HR, 83 RBI, 129 R, 10.7 WAR*

and I read somewhere (can't find it now) that he is the first player EVER with that combination of BA, HR and SB.  Also consider that Trout is a Gold Glove caliber center fielder (.992 FA, 2.1 DWAR**) while Cabrera is an average third baseman (.966 FA, -0.2 DWAR**)

Thoughts??

* Wins Above Replacement

** Defensive Wins Above Replacement

(I vote for Trout)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Trout has been horrible at the plate in August and September.....check the stats.....Cabrera has put together the most complete season at the plate that we've seen in the last 40 years. No question he should be the MVP.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by showtime583

Trout has been horrible at the plate in August and September.....check the stats.....Cabrera has put together the most complete season at the plate that we've seen in the last 40 years. No question he should be the MVP.

I wouldn't say 'no question' ... that is why I asked ... but, yeah, I think that he has dropped off lately.  Another stat in Trout's favor is that he was in the minors through most of April so his numbers would be a lot higher (not averages obviously) if he had that extra month.  And as much as we value hitting, its most valuable PLAYER, so baserunning and defense have to factor in as well.

I, personally, (I can say that because Shorty is probably not lurking in any baseball threads to catch it) think it's a toss up, and I won't have a complaint no matter which way it turns out, but the very idea that a guy can get the triple crown and not be the runaway MVP winner says a lot about his competition.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My vote goes to Trout. To put that 10.7 WAR in a comparison, it's the best by a non-steriods (only used to exclude Bonds) batter (because even with WAR, it's tough to compare pitchers and hitters) since Cal Ripken in 1991. Second best since Joe Morgan in 1975. Third best since Yastrzemski in 1967. Fourth best since Willie Mays in 1965. WAR-wise, he's of equal value this year to Cabrera and two Derek Jeters. Also, I've heard people (not here, so far), argue that the fact that Cabrera's team is going to the playoffs should give him an advantage. The problem with that is that the Angels actually have a better record. Finally, the relatively poor showing by Trout in the last two months underscores just how good he was earlier on. He batted .392 with a .455 OBP and an OPS of 1.259(!!!) in July. And he's currently batting .500 in October. :-P EDIT: I should add that I think Cabrera will win. I just think Trout should .
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If Cabrera wins the triple crown he deserves to be the MVP

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ted Williams did not win the MVP in the years that he won the triple crown.  But as much as I like the advanced stats, its hard for me to go against a triple crown winner.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cabrera will win, and you watch, the voting won't be as close as a lot of people think. He was superb down the stretch as the Tigers overtook the White Sox and then kept them at bay, and then there's the whole Triple Crown thing on top of that.

September performance usually matters a lot (I say usually only because Josh Hamilton won in 2010 despite sitting out nearly the whole month). I'm predicting that Cabrera's number of first-place votes will come close to doubling Trout's.

Remember, there are still a lot of baseball beat writers who've been around a good while and don't buy into all the Sabermetric stuff. In their view, the playoff push and the Triple Crown will blow that gibberish away.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by namkrats

If Cabrera wins the triple crown he deserves to be the MVP

If Cabrera had come up short in one of the categories, like HRs by like one or two, would you still give him the MVP?  To me it seems like everyone would vote for Trout, but then those who don't say, "Well, Cabrera won the triple crown, you have to give him the MVP."

MVP is a different award than the Triple Crown title (triple crown isn't even an award, I shouldn't even capitalize it).  MVP is just that, who would you rather have on your team?  Therefore, triple crown great, but it's arbitrary.  I would much rather have Trout on my team; his defense, runs scoring, presence.  He is of more value to a team.  Cabrera just rakes.

Plus, I have always suspected Cabrera to be juicing.  His evolution from when he was on the Marlins reminds me a lot of A-Rod.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by namkrats

If Cabrera wins the triple crown he deserves to be the MVP

I guess I qualify as one of those new-school sabermetric nerds, because, while I appreciate feat, I just don't think those should be THE stats that matter.  I'm not going to go on a rant about why on base percentage is more important than batting average, but I do think that RBI are way over-rated.  That stat is much too dependent on the rest of your team getting on base in front of you.  A leadoff hitter (like Trout) is never going to lead the league in RBI because 20% (or so) of his at-bats are guaranteed to be with the bases empty.  Not to mention that the guys "in front" of him in the lineup are typically the worst hitters.  Runs, I feel, should be pretty interchangeable with RBI when comparing guys like this.  Now, on the other hand, it's not like Cabrera's 109 runs are anything to sneeze at.  He had a phenomenal season, no doubt, but those stolen bases and defense give the edge to Trout in my book.

Originally Posted by jamo

EDIT: I should add that I think Cabrera will win. I just think Trout should.

Yes, I believe this too.  Not enough people are going to be able to make themselves vote a triple crown winner 2nd.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Subaroo

If Cabrera had come up short in one of the categories, like HRs by like one or two, would you still give him the MVP?  To me it seems like everyone would vote for Trout, but then those who don't say, "Well, Cabrera won the triple crown, you have to give him the MVP."

This is a good point.  I read something like this the other day.  If Josh Hamilton were to hit 2 homers today and Cabrera none, that would somehow change his status as an MVP candidate?  That seems a little arbitrary, yet that is what you (general) are saying if you say Cabrera should win the MVP BECAUSE he won the triple crown.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

This is a good point.  I read something like this the other day.  If Josh Hamilton were to hit 2 homers today and Cabrera none, that would somehow change his status as an MVP candidate?  That seems a little arbitrary, yet that is what you (general) are saying if you say Cabrera should win the MVP BECAUSE he won the triple crown.

Exactly.

Now everyone ignore the fact that the guy who agrees with me is from Orange County

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Subaroo

If Cabrera had come up short in one of the categories, like HRs by like one or two, would you still give him the MVP?

Yes, I would. His late-season performance is the determining factor. You can't fade in September (as Trout did) as a member of an underachieving team that failed to reach the postseason.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Subaroo

Plus, I have always suspected Cabrera to be juicing.  His evolution from when he was on the Marlins reminds me a lot of A-Rod.

These guys play a LONG schedule and travel a ton.  That takes a huge toll on your body.  Coupled with the advancements and pure number of 'natural' and 'organic' stimulants and supplements are growing by the day.  Therefore, as I've said before... I'm sure most of the professional athletes in 2012 are taking 'something' to help them recover day to day. Many of these supplements that are being digested by the professionals today, in time, will be considered performance enhancing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Angels finished 3rd in the West, and would've done so even if Trout had never suited up for them.

Any notion that the Tigers could've won the Central without Cabrera is preposterous.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Subaroo

Exactly.

Now everyone ignore the fact that the guy who agrees with me is from Orange County

Ha!  I certainly get biased coverage of the whole thing out here, but I haven't watched an Angels game in weeks and, besides, I am a Padres fan. (My vote is for Chase Headley!!!)

Originally Posted by ditchparrot19

The Angels finished 3rd in the West, and would've done so even if Trout had never suited up for them.

Any notion that the Tigers could've won the Central without Cabrera is preposterous.

Yes, but don't forget that the Angels finished the season with a better record than the Tigers.  And they did it playing an unbalanced schedule against Oakland (94 wins), Texas (93) and Seattle (75).  Seattle, by the way, would have finished 3rd in the AL Central ahead of KC, Cleveland and Minnesota.

The Angels certainly WOULD NOT have had the same record had Trout not been playing for them.  But I get your meaning ... they would have still missed the playoffs without him.  That is always the underlying argument in the MVP races at the end of the year when one team makes the playoffs and the other didn't.  If you take the "V" literally, then any player whose team doesn't make the playoffs isn't valuable because they could have done that without him.  I am one who considers the award more of a "who had the best season" deal, and wouldn't put much weight on the playoffs/no playoffs angle.

Still, while I would give it Trout, I think Cabrera is also a fine choice and won't have a problem with him winning either.  (I'm in the minority, along with Jamo ... they did a poll on SC last night and Cabrera won 80%-20%)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

160 out of 162 games played at a new position AND claiming the triple crown???  Give Cabrera the MVP.  Trout set the bar for a phenomenal career out of the gate, and his stat line is remarkable.  But what were his expectations? The URP category doesn't yet exist (Unheralded Rookie Phenom), but maybe it will now. Cabrera had to continue to grind in 2 of 3 unrelated offensive areas late in the season and he did.  Again, Cabrera deserves the MVP

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the MVP award was created, 12 players have won the triple crown.  Surprisingly, only 6 won MVP in the same year.  This makes me think Trout has a shot.  Writers are more aware of advanced stats these days and the triple crown has never been a lock.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • My Swing (b101)
      Not much of an update, as due to a lot of work in the run up to exams, I haven't actually hit the range much recently. I've also quite enjoyed taking a break from endless swing thoughts and just getting things feeling a bit more natural. The flight is now high, with a 7 iron flight looking more like what my pitching wedge used to look like. The shape is now usually right to left with the bad miss still when I get the face closed at impact. Distance is definitely better, too, with a 7 iron now carrying around 170 on a good hit - at least 10/15 yards longer than with that shorter swing I had around the turn of the year. I'm going to get on the range a bit more in the next few months and will start uploading some footage, but things are looking and feeling pretty good.
    • Ping G irons
      Stupid easy to hit, too.
    • My Swing (PumaAttack)
      I find it becoming a strange discussion. My 2c. Stick with your evolved instructor. Or respect the given instructions. And deal with it. Use what you think is helpfull. Otherwise I do not understand why you would seek advise in this thread. I might be wrong but to me it seems you do not trust your evolved coach and or the given opinions.    To me, it presents an insight how top coaches are looking at your swing.
    • What Are Your 2016 Golf Goals? Official Thread
      Handicap card completed - Off a 23 which is a bit higher than I'd like, Going to play in my first comp next month hopefully. Still working on those blow up holes. Shot an 86 yesterday which is my best round in a long time! 
    • What would a PGA Tour player shoot at your home course?
      @iacas Not sure why you feel the need to try and make people feel stupid? What's the attitude all about?

      Because you seem to think that nobody else has any valid arguments, I felt compelled to contact a friend of mine and ask him about the subject. He has won twice on the MacKenzie Tour, 4 times on the Gateway Tour and played in the US Open in 2010 at Pebble Beach. I Facebooked him a few days ago and heard back from him today. He said that his Tour buddies of that calibre typically shoot in the mid 60's (or lower) if they play an "average" course for a Pro-Am or a sponsor's event or for a casual round. He added that he played a municipal course in Phoenix last week (he didn't say which one) and shot -8 without ever having seen the course before. And he was never able to make it through the final stage of Q-School so he self-admittedly doesn't have the skillset of the PGA guys. I still say the average Tour player would shoot in the low 60's at my course. Here's the scorecard of it, and Nick Taylor's scores from the 2006 Provincial Tournament. He was only a junior at the time and hadn't played for the University of Washington yet. Safe to say his handicap has improved a little bit since then  and he still shot 68 twice and under difficult tournament conditions! No way he'd shoot that now. 
        Nick Taylor   Round: 4 Position: 1 Score: -11 Strokes: 277 Tip: Click on a hole number to compare Nick’s score to the field. Hole 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Out 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 In Total Yards 363 381 374 191 496 406 524 197 401 3333 530 197 424 487 559 166 393 428 286 3470 6803 Handicap 16 4 14 18 10 2 12 8 6   11 15 3 1 7 13 9 5 17     Par 4 4 4 3 5 4 5 3 4 36 5 3 4 4 5 3 4 4 4 36 72 Round 1 5 3 4 3 4 4 4 3 4 34 4 3 4 4 5 3 3 3 5 34 68 Round 2 4 3 4 3 4 3 6 3 5 35 5 3 4 4 5 3 4 4 4 36 71 Round 3 4 4 3 2 5 4 4 3 4 33 4 3 3 4 6 3 4 4 4 35 68 Round 4 4 3 4 3 5 3 5 3 4 34 5 3 4 4 5 3 4 4 4 36 70 Key:   Eagle   Birdie   Bogey   Dbl Bogey
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. bigtosh90
      bigtosh90
      (26 years old)
    2. dopplegvnger
      dopplegvnger
      (24 years old)
    3. Frank62
      Frank62
      (54 years old)
  • Blog Entries