IGNORED

John Daly- back on Tour full time?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 4207 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you hit the ball well then it should land close to where you intend.  If you hit the ball well and it landed in the water then you either didn't hit it well or selected the wrong club, in any case it's not just bad luck.  This is one of my issues with Daly, he doesn't seem like one to take much responsibility for his actions or their results.

Originally Posted by Paradox

I think Daly was TRYING to say something along the lines that he was hitting the ball well(ballstriking, that kind of thing) but the outcomes were just never of good fortune.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

If you hit the ball well then it should land close to where you intend.  If you hit the ball well and it landed in the water then you either didn't hit it well or selected the wrong club, in any case it's not just bad luck.  This is one of my issues with Daly, he doesn't seem like one to take much responsibility for his actions or their results.

Hey I didn't say it made any sort of common sense..just trying to make some sense out of what he was saying, :)

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

He seems pretty happy go lucky in the post round interview ... and he was happily signing autographs.

Meh ... he'll still sell lots of ugly pants.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

You interpreted the statement as I did which is why I quoted you, didn't mean to suggest you agreed with it.

Originally Posted by Paradox

Hey I didn't say it made any sort of common sense..just trying to make some sense out of what he was saying, :)

Joe Paradiso

This part of the charm of JD. He can dazzle you with his talents and make you feel better about your game all in the same weekend.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher DST

Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 3H

Irons: Cleveland Launcher

Wedges: Cleveland cg 15 46, 52, 56, 60

Putter: Odyssey tour black

Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

I can understand his comments (which might be scary) and I'm sure we've all had rounds where the outcome of our shots just didn't to what we wanted. I know it happened the last time I played - I wanted a kick left and the ball went right; I wanted a release and it checked up; I wanted it to check up and it released....I think Daly is better at his consistency.

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

This part of the charm of JD. He can dazzle you with his talents and make you feel better about your game all in the same weekend. :-D

Thanks for that - you have it in a nut-shell. And he keeps coming back when some would give up in disgust. But how long will it last? A unique career certainly.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I think Daly was TRYING to say something along the lines that he was hitting the ball well(ballstriking, that kind of thing) but the outcomes were just never of good fortune.

But what does that mean exactly? Unfortunately to me it comes across as suggesting that he was somehow unlucky in that his "good" shots ended badly somehow (without further explanation). Of course that can indeed occassionally happen but GMAB .... Anyway it isn't clear that's what he meant. The poor fellow was extremely frustrated and irritated. H's a tough nut to have even given the interview - I think that's a big part of what people admire about him, apart from his obvious talents. Then there's the demolition derby aspect of course .... :-)

4-hybrid:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey71

I can understand his comments (which might be scary) and I'm sure we've all had rounds where the outcome of our shots just didn't to what we wanted. I know it happened the last time I played - I wanted a kick left and the ball went right; I wanted a release and it checked up; I wanted it to check up and it released....I think Daly is better at his consistency.

I agree...Of course he didn`t play as well as he did the day before when he shot 63, but he may not have played all the holes as bad as his score indicated.  Even the easier courses on tour can demand some very precise shot making where luck can play a roll.

In my worst round of the season, on #3, I hit a 6i from 190 yards very solid and it ended up 15 feet from the hole (about 1 or 2 paces above the hole and 12 feet to the right).  Yes, I knew that I wanted to be below the hole, but still thought it was a well struck shot.  The only way to get the putt closer than 10 feet was to make it and I ended up 3 putting.  I would have been better off hitting it fat and being 40 feet below the hole, but couldn`t picture myself hitting a 7i in that situation.  Later, on #8, I hit a downwind lob wedge from the rough to a raised green- it landed 9 paces (27 feet) onto the green and rolled back off the front edge and ended up 40 yards from the hole- still surprised I didn`t get a bit of a forward bounce which would have given me a good look at birdie as the shot was right at the pin...instead my first pitch back up the hill also rolled back at me and I ended up making a double.

I didn`t see any of Daly`s round so it is likely that he made some mental mistakes and/or compounding errors, but not many of us on here would shoot better than 86 consistently on the courses these guys play.

Be interesting to see if he can bounce back today...

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Yes it will, which is partly why I'll be watching some of it and why he gets the exemption. But really, thinking of the kind you suggest MEfree is not what one expects of a pro golfer. NOTE: we are speculating and he may not be thinking remotely as you suggest. It is more the kind of thinking I sometimes come across by golfers on your typical course. Look suckers, luck generally cuts both ways, remember? Not hitting many decent shots myself I'm not really at hazard ..... :>)

4-hybrid:

• Administrator

No, and no.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by David in FL

I don't know what it is, but I enjoy watching him and always find myself oping he'll play well.

Same here.....as long as he is respectful of other players, officials, fans, and event sponsors.  That has not always been the case.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Rooting for Daly is like watching a movie you've seen a dozen times but think it may end differently.

He should get Lindsey Lohan to caddy for him and Terrell Owens to be his personal trainer.

Originally Posted by Pablo68

He should get Lindsey Lohan to caddy for him and Terrell Owens to be his personal trainer.

That's got TGC Monday lineup written all over it.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

Note: This thread is 4207 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!