• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RoyHotPower

2012 MLB post season predictions?

44 posts in this topic

Anyone care to make bold predictions for the post season?  World Series Champions?  One and done winners (Baltimore at Texas, St Louis at Atlanta)? Every possible series outcome?

I'll say this.  The Reds and Rangers don't look as formidable as they did 3 weeks ago.  And no team looks rock solid unbeatable.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I think the Nats will come out of the NL.  Even without Strasburg, their starters are just too good.

For the AL, I think it will be the Yankees, if they can make it past round 1.  I wouldn't want to play the O's right now.

I say Yanks over Nats in 6.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by dsc123

I think the Nats will come out of the NL.  Even without Strasburg, their starters are just too good.

For the AL, I think it will be the Yankees, if they can make it past round 1.  I wouldn't want to play the O's right now.

I say Yanks over Nats in 6.

So dsc123 has weighed in with the Yanks over the Nats in the Fall Classic.  Sound picks really - the Yankees never gave up 1st place in the East, and the Nats could be considered a team of destiny.  CC is dominating and the Nats are legit. Anyone else?

I'll start with the one and done teams tomorrow:

I think the Rangers will eek out a win tomorrow over the Showalter lead Os.  The Os are hot, but the Rangers have been focused all season long on getting back to the Classic.  'Make the post season' was their only goal in the regular season and while sluggish the last 2 weeks, they did that. Yu brings energy, and look for him to go 7 innings and hurl 125 pitches if necessary to set the pace.  Os will lose a 1 run game as the Rangers have a big chip on their shoulder and a resume that isn't complete.

The Hotlanta Braves suffered the last 6 weeks of 2011 due to a depleted bullpen, and rectified that this year locking up the first wild card slot.  But they face St Louis who eliminated them last season. Going with the conventional wisdom of those who get hot late in the season, I like the Cards on strength of schedule alone.  Both went 7-3 down the stretch, but the Cards did so against playoff bound Reds and Nats.  The Braves faced disappointing Miami and Pittsburgh. Veteran lineup and they will be patient against Medlen to work his pitch count insures Redbird Nation of advancing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by RoyHotPower

Anyone care to make bold predictions for the post season?  World Series Champions?  One and done winners (Baltimore at Texas, St Louis at Atlanta)? Every possible series outcome?

I'll say this.  The Reds and Rangers don't look as formidable as they did 3 weeks ago.  And no team looks rock solid unbeatable.

We are going to see a rematch of the 1989 World Series ... but hopefully without all of the shaking.

WC preditions:  Atlanta and Texas both winning at home tomorrow.

LDS:  Yanks over Texas in 4.  Atlanta will beat the Nationals in 5.  Oakland over Detroit in 5.  SF over Cincinnati in 4.

LCS:  A's over Yanks in 7 (hopefully because of the benefit of a bogus 'out' call at the plate) and Giants over Braves in 6.

WS:  A's in 5.  (Maybe the Bash Brothers will throw out first pitches in game 3 in Oakland??)

When is the sequel "Moneyball 2: Electric Boogaloo" coming out??  Forget Cabrera and Trout, Billy Beane should be MVP this year!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I live on the other side of the country, but it would be pretty cool to see a Beltway Series (Nationals/Orioles). That would be even better if Strasburg were still around. I love watching Bryce Harper play and hope he stays around awhile in the postseason.

I don't want to see the two teams closest to me (the Giants and A's) in a rematch of the Earthquake Series of 1989. I like and respect the A's and would have no qualms about them getting there, but I can't stand the Giants.

You know the FOX TV people are praying for Yankees/Nationals, and I think they might get their wish. If it comes to pass, I just hope the Nationals win.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

We are going to see a rematch of the 1989 World Series ... but hopefully without all of the shaking.

WC preditions:  Atlanta and Texas both winning at home tomorrow.

LDS:  Yanks over Texas in 4.  Atlanta will beat the Nationals in 5.  Oakland over Detroit in 5.  SF over Cincinnati in 4.

LCS:  A's over Yanks in 7 (hopefully because of the benefit of a bogus 'out' call at the plate) and Giants over Braves in 6.

WS:  A's in 5.  (Maybe the Bash Brothers will throw out first pitches in game 3 in Oakland??)

When is the sequel "Moneyball 2: Electric Boogaloo" coming out??  Forget Cabrera and Trout, Billy Beane should be MVP this year!

BTW, if you are a betting man, you might be advised to do the exact opposite of whatever I say.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

We are going to see a rematch of the 1989 World Series ... but hopefully without all of the shaking.

I would love to see this happen again...for obvious reasons, but I'm doubtful that it will happen.

I see the Giants and Nationals in the NLCS, but with Washington winning because the Giants have struggled against them during the regular season.

For the AL, I see Yankees and the A's, but I'll give the advantage to the A's. If you have a rookie team sweeping the Yankess (granted at home) in a 4-game series, I'll give the edge to the A's.

I predict the A's vs the Nationals in the World Series. Nationals winning it all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cards advance. I was really surprised how they did in one and done formation.dominant.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be rooting for the A's and the Orioles (provided they win tonight).
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by RoyHotPower

Cards advance. I was really surprised how they did in one and done formation.dominant.

It helps to be on the receiving end of the most BS call in baseball history.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

It helps to be on the receiving end of the most BS call in baseball history.

I am surprised so many people are up in arms over this.  Not only was it not even close to being "the most BS call in baseball history" [That moniker should be reserved for Don Denkinger, Jeffrey Maier, and AJ Pierzynski v. Angels in '05 ALCS, various others] but it wasn't even wrong.

I agree that it was pretty far into the outfield, but unfortunately, the location of the ball has no bearing on the rule (so long as its fair).  I also agree that the call was made pretty late, but that didn't hurt the runners (the whole point of the rule) so that really isn't an issue either.  Had the SS (who was hardly exerting any effort to get there) not peeled off, he would have been there in another step.  He could have attempted to drop it on purpose and turn a double play (the reason for the rule).  You think the Braves are up in arms about this, but had he not called it and the SS not peeled off and managed a DP, I think the ump would have been murdered on the spot.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I am surprised so many people are up in arms over this.  Not only was it not even close to being "the most BS call in baseball history" [That moniker should be reserved for Don Denkinger, Jeffrey Maier, and AJ Pierzynski v. Angels in '05 ALCS, various others] but it wasn't even wrong.

I agree that it was pretty far into the outfield, but unfortunately, the location of the ball has no bearing on the rule (so long as its fair).  I also agree that the call was made pretty late, but that didn't hurt the runners (the whole point of the rule) so that really isn't an issue either.  Had the SS (who was hardly exerting any effort to get there) not peeled off, he would have been there in another step.  He could have attempted to drop it on purpose and turn a double play (the reason for the rule).  You think the Braves are up in arms about this, but had he not called it and the SS not peeled off and managed a DP, I think the ump would have been murdered on the spot.

agree - the call was a non-issue.  Loved how the fans got involved. stay classy Atlanta

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

but the real travesty was the Rangers. Granted the writing was on the wall in the way they finished the season; but to just mail it in?  I give props to the Os though. They wanted it and took it. Suks today living in Dallas metro area.  What do they do in the offseason?  No need to blow it up, but need to make significant changes.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

He could have attempted to drop it on purpose and turn a double play (the reason for the rule).

No way you get a double play off a ball hit that deep. Not even with a Molina with two broken ankles running.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by ditchparrot19

No way you get a double play off a ball hit that deep. Not even with a Molina with two broken ankles running.

Perhaps not ... but that isn't part of the rule.  The umpire only has to make the judgement that the infielder is making the play with ordinary effort.  If you had to consider the possibility of whether or not a double play was actually turnable, then you'd never call the infield fly rule if Vince Coleman or Rickie Henderson were on the basepaths.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Perhaps not ... but that isn't part of the rule.  The umpire only has to make the judgement that the infielder is making the play with ordinary effort.  If you had to consider the possibility of whether or not a double play was actually turnable, then you'd never call the infield fly rule if Vince Coleman or Rickie Henderson were on the basepaths.

Bottom line: It was nowhere near the worst call of even recent postseason history, but it was not a good call, and it's one that's not made under normal circumstances with umpires stationed only at the bases. The perspective was skewed.

I read on ESPN.com that there were seven infield-fly-rule balls that hit the ground over the past three seasons. Of those, the farthest one from the plate was 178 feet. The ball yesterday traveled 225 feet.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by ditchparrot19

... and it's one that's not made under normal circumstances with umpires stationed only at the bases. The perspective was skewed.

This is a really good point ... I had not thought of this.  A regular game without outfield umpires means it's up to the 3rd base umpire to make that call.  He's probably going to see that ball go so far over his head that there is no way he considers it an infield fly, even though by the definition of the rule, it can be argued as such.  (Which I have been doing)

Either way, solid point.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • Jack or Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?
      No problem.  I'm not tired of responding to sincere and thoughtful posts, like yours, even if it rehashes stuff from before because OF COURSE it is unrealistic to expect people to read 3000 posts before commenting.  In any case I have that quote in a file and it was simple to post it - much simpler and politer than saying "go find it , it's here."  I DO think that one should maybe at least read a smattering of such a big thread before jumping in,   But I have no patience whatsoever with the "I saw Jack play" and "he was nice at a clinic" type posts or posts by people who try to claim some special credibility because of some entirely personal subjective connection.  But that isn't you. As to the rest, you asked for the exact quote and I gave it to you.  If you want to argue with what he said, that is another matter and does not concern me, since my position is that even if we, arguendo, say that the field strengths did NOT get better, Tiger's career was so much more dominant than Jack's that it doesn't matter.  I don't NEED to make a stronger field argument to make the case that Tiger dominated golf in a way and to an extent that no other golfer has ever dominated golf.  And he did it for 15 years (after an absolutely unprecedented career as an amateur) which, IMO, is long enough that it no longevity argument could overcome the sheer dominance advantage his career embodied.   The fact that all that is true in the face of field strength increasing is just icing on the cake.   
    • Jack or Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?
      Excellent. Thank you for re-posting that quote. Sorry to hear you're tired of rehashing. Why not just let the thread die then? Is the expectation that folks will read all 272 pages before making a comment? That strikes me as an unrealistic expectation.. I agree the tour is tougher than it used to be. I consider the differences more incremental than astronomical...not the 'order of magnitude' range that seems to come through in some comments. I think Jack is both being accurate in assessing his perception of a shift in quality, but also exaggerating for effect or experiencing present-day myopia at the very least about the money. $100 in 1962 money would be ~ $800 dollars today. Not exactly what I would call bus fare. The 'paltry' $100,000 had the buying power of about $800,000 in today's dollars, which is ~ 60% of today's average purse and ~ 30% of the Players' purse).. Most Americans would happily take an annual salary like that today. They weren't getting ditch digger wages. The prize money even then definitely attracted keen competitive interest. Clearly purses have also grown more than inflation and even journeyman make more in a year than the top 10 in 1962 (below), but it seems about in line with the growth of the population of golfers in the U.S. itself - about triple since Jack's day, Endorsement money has definitely gotten bigger, as the tour and the golf marketplace have developed and expanded over time.   Rank       Player                  1962 $                   2015 $ 1            Arnold Palmer        $81,448                 $639,223 2            Gene Littler           $66,201                 $519,562 3            Jack Nicklaus         $61,869                 $485,563 4            Billy Casper            $61,842                 $485,351 5            Bob Goalby            $46,241                 $362,910 6            Gary Player            $45,838                 $359,748 7            Doug Sanders        $43,340                 $340,143 8            Dave Ragan          $37,327                 $292,951 9            Bobby Nichols       $34,312                 $269,288 10          Phil Rodgers          $32,182                 $252,572  
    • Claim Your Achievements Here!
      Broke par, Lowest Score Wins. 
    • Disadvantage of too stiff a flex?
      I've often thought about going with an X flex driver shaft.  I may get an adapter from My Titleist 910 and experiment.
    • Claim Your Achievements Here!
      I'd like to claim the "Broke 80" award, as I managed this for the first time December 28th last year.   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 OUT Gross 5 4 4 5 5 3 5 5 5 41(41) Par 4 4 3 5 4 3 4 4 5 36 Distance 353 357 168 465 312 142 389 339 492 3017 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 IN TOTAL 5 4 4 4 5 3 5 4 4 38(38) 79 (79) 5 4 4 4 4 3 4 3 4 35 71 479 356 323 355 396 185 309 136 365 2904 5921               Thanks!        
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. TessaEdin
      TessaEdin
      (24 years old)
  • Blog Entries