IGNORED

Bunker and water rules

heggis
Note: This thread is 3280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i was playing at the weekend and my ball went in a bunker half full of water now my ball was not in the water as i know it would have been a free drop (inside the bunker). But where i would have to stand was 4 inches deep. what is the rule here do i get a free drop inside the bunker still? it was a friendly game so i took a free drop in the bunker but was wondering for competition`s.

Rules say: Interference by an abnormal ground condition occurs when a ball lies in or touches the condition or when the condition interferes with the player’s stance or the area of his intended swing.

OK thanks. The person i was with was adamant i didn't get relief but said oh its friendly so have a free drop in that soaking wet bunker. ha

It's worth mentioning....when you drop in a bunker you almost always get some kind of plugged lie. In that particular situation, if the original lie were good, I'd probably deal with the wet stance......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...
Originally Posted by stangmark

You get free relief from standing water interfering with your stance or swing, even in a bunker.  The relief, as you said, must be in the bunker and not be nearer to the hole.

Amazing, you got one right.  Although it had been answered long ago.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 years later...
What if the only place you can drop in the bunker is closer to the hole?, also, 1 of our players said " you are allowed to placed the ball, (not drop), I didn't think that was correct, but he was my partner.

What if the only place you can drop in the bunker is closer to the hole?, also, 1 of our players said " you are allowed to placed the ball, (not drop), I didn't think that was correct, but he was my partner.

You may not drop closer to the hole.

You may not place the ball.

Here's what Rule 25-1b has to say about abnormal ground conditions in a bunker:

(ii) In a Bunker: If the ball is in a bunker , the player must lift the ball and drop it either:

(a) Without penalty, in accordance with Clause (i) above, except that the nearest point of relief must be in the bunker and the ball must be dropped in the bunker or, if complete relief is impossible, as near as possible to the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole , on a part of the course in the bunker that affords maximum available relief from the condition; or

(b) Under penalty of one stroke, outside the bunker keeping the point where the ball lay directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the bunker the ball may be dropped.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

As you can see from the above, relief from casual water in a bunker differs importantly from relief elsewhere in that if you cannot find a place in the bunker completely free from the casual water, you are allowed to take partial relief where there is the maximum relief possible.  Elsewhere you must be completely clear of the condition you are taking relief from.

Note: This thread is 3280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!