IGNORED

Embarrising moments at the course!?

Chilidipper
Note:Β This thread is 6104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I was at a Jack Nicklaus designed course in southern illinois called Stone Wolf. Well it was a saturday and it was packed. Infact it was so packed we had 6 carts behind us on the tee box. Anyway a friend and I were paired up with a single. The single tees off first. He hits a drive about 200 yard straight. My friend then proceeds to hits and blast one and comes out of his shoes. He seriously hit it 280 after roll with a little fade. Played very nicely. Then I come up. I tee it up a little high for some reason and get right underneath it. It went freaking 80 90 yards. Barely past the ladies tee box, we play from the tips. Anyway my friend says pretty loud atleast you don't have to walk to your ball with your pants around your ankles, and all six carts just busted up laughing like they where at a George Carlin concert. I was so freaking pissed off.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like your friend is a bit of a dick

I've had my fair share of bad/terrible/pathetic tee shots with people watching. I usually try to crack some sort of joke afterward, but it's definitely embarassing to slice your ball into a different fairway with people watching.

I was at the range yesterday and the rubber tee was extremely tall, but I figured I would at least try to hit one off it. I got way under it, and then hoped no one noticed that I had my driver out, because it took the flight path of a perfect lob wedge...

Oh, don't worry about embarassing moments. I've hit my share of pitiful dribblers off the first tee with a gallery watching.

What I do to compensate is either take a mulligan, or if time/tournament atmosphere doesn't permit one, I'll pull out my safety blanket club - my 3 iron. It's one I almost never miss. That and my 7 iron are so money.

I remember one time I was on the par-5 17th at Sugar Bay, which is a drivable par 5 if you nut your drive down the middle and get a decent second shot. So, I tried to crush the ball as far as possible - I topped it and hit the extreme heel. The pituful resulting dribbler squirted out to the left, beaned a concrete sign that told you how many yards the hole was, and came back straight at me, ending some 30 yards behind the tee box.

The more embarassing part was when I teed up another ball and did the exact same thing. The second ball landed within six inches of the first.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Nothing like waiting in the fairway on a Par 5 for the green to clear (I'm gonna hit it in 2!)...

...then topping or fatting your shot...

...with the group behind you watching, waiting on the tee ...

...I love this game...

Driver: Bridgestone J33R 460 10.5*
3 Wood: Sonartec NP-99 14*
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black 19*
Irons: Mizuno MP-58 4-PWWedges: Nike SV 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: Scotty CameronBall: Srixon Z Star

(Oh, trust me. You can hit your shot now, and shank it. Or you can wait for the green to clear, and top a ball halfway there.)

2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Well thats like the guys that hit their first drives about 230 yards and are 250+ out and are waiting for the green to clear so they can hit their 2nd shots.

I think my worst was on the first tee just after figuring out our handicaps, mine was the lowest so they said lead the way. I tee up and top the ball horribly. It goes about 2 inches and drives straight down into the tee box plugging.

Then in my first year, i did this quite often. I would barely nick the top of the ball, it would go up like 6 or 7 feet straight up and land right back in the same spot. Always good for a laugh.

Driver: 9.5* SQ Sumo Stiff
3W: 15* SQ Stiff
Irons: 3-PW R7 Stiff Flex
GW: X Tour Vintage 52 11 bounce
SW: X Tour Vintage 56 13 bounceLW: X Tour Vintage 60 8 BouncePutter: Monza CorzaBall: HX Tour 56

A while back I was playing at a public course and was teeing of on #17. The tee box happened to be right next to the club house which had an elevated balcony full of people who had finished their rounds. My partner put a drive right down the middle. I tee up the ball and take my swing only to have the clubhead of my driver come off the shaft at impact. The clubhead wound up going further than the ball. That resulted in a lot of comments from the gallery perched upon the balcony. Most were joking for me to play it where the clubhead landed! I had to chuckle though since everyone was able to have some fun at my expense.

SRJ
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9Β° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52Β°/56Β°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

haha you guys got some funny stories.

I did went underneath with my 3-wood couple weeks ago at the first tee. The ball went so high, probably higher than my lob wedge and landed maybe 50 yards or something, but at least it was on the fairway. Pretty embarassing though.

This happened recently, my friends and alot of people were watching me at the range and i was shanking every shot, it was so embarassing because i couldnt hit anything and i didnt know how to react.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5Β°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15Β°
5 Wood: r7 19Β° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60Β°Wedge: Z TP 54Β°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I think everyone has experienced the "everyone's watching, super-duper pressure" tee-box. My sophmore, junior, and senior year's in High School I had this particular situation every year at regionals. Man, it was intense. about 8 entire teams, coaches, and parents all standing right behind the tee box watching you and you're hitting. Well, just my luck, I'm first in my group. I'm so nervous that I'm shaking. I take a few practice swings (as hard as I can of course) and prepare to hit my ball. I was planning on hitting this ball to another solar system too, I mean I wanted to rip the cover off of it. Well, I barely made contact, topped it about 20yds in front me into a creek, and then stepped off the box to let the other players hit. Well, thinking that I was slick or something, I pulled out my 2-iron to try to play "smarter" on my next swing. Yeah, well, that was a dumb idea because I did the same shit. At first the gallery didn't laugh, but after the second time they cracked up. I was really shaken up the rest of the day too. Managed to post a 94, but still, it was ugly

Oh yeah, I had an embarassing moment today. I was coming into a really easy par 5. About 504yds, easily reached in two with a well placed driver. Well, I hook my drive, punch out to fairway, pull my lay-up to the rough, hit a fat SW, blade a LW into the water, hit a poor chip, 2 putts later I have a big fat 9. Yeah, awful I know, but the good thing is I still managed an 89. I was pretty shaken up after that hole, but I had just a birdie on the previous par 5, and later I birdied another. Pretty bad when you play the four par 5's +2 with two birdies and a par.

What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Oh, don't worry about embarassing moments. I've hit my share of pitiful dribblers off the first tee with a gallery watching.

Funny stuff brother I saw this guy at a 4 man scramble once swing at the club and totally miss it and on his backswing it came back around and hit the ball backwards and almost hit a older lady who was watching. Wow you know he felt like a smuck.

hahahahahahahaha, wow, I love that feeling when you are really tired and it is really late, and everything seems 10x funnier then it actaully is. That is me right now, wow, I'm crying I'm laughing so hard.

In The Bag...

Driver: SQ Sumo 10.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto
3 Wood: Burner
Hybrid: SQ 18*Irons(3-PW): 755 w/ Dynamic Gold S30052.08*: Vokey Oil Can56.14*: Vokey Spin MilledPutter: Newport 2Ball: pro v1xShoes: Footjoy Athletics

Playing a course for the first time a few years ago, I teed up last in my foursome. With 3 carts of people waiting and watching, I crush a drive that looked good for about 100 yards... unitl it suddenly hooked, cleared some trees lining the course, and bounced down a busy, four lane street. Everyone in my group - and those watching - were cracking up and watching the ball as it bounced down the street (somehow missing every car) unti it was out of site.

I took a drop.

One time a friend and I drove about 20-30 miles south to play a golf course that had not been and would not be affected by a rainstorm we were having that day. We get there and find the course pretty much clear except for the eightsome in front of us.

Yes.

An eightsome.

Rather than call the pro shop on my cell phone right away to get a ranger out here, I give these guys the opportunity to let us play through on the next tee. They wait for us on the next tee and my friend tees it up. Nothing special - a lackluster drive down the right side of the fairway.

It's my turn, so I tee up and prepare to hit it with my 5-wood. Was it the rush I was in to be out of these people's way and enjoy my round? The fact that my last 4 holes I played were not played very well? The fact that I now had 9 people watching me instead of the usual maximum of 3? I don't know, but I topped that ball worse than I've ever topped it in my whole life. It came up about 5 feet in the air, landed 5 feet in front of me, and rolled another 5 or 6 feet. 330-yard par 4, with a 5-wood, as hard as I can, with 9 people watching me, and the ball goes 10 feet.

My friend cracks up, the other guys say don't worry about it take your time.

Redemption: I walk up to the ball and hit my second shot so squarely that it flies down the middle of the fairway past my friend ball and I hear at least 3 guys say "wow." =)

Driver: SasQuatch 10.5Β°, Stiff Flex
Woods: Grand Slam 3-wood & 5-wood
Irons: TPS 7.0 3I-PW
Wedges: 56Β° sand wedge & 60Β° lob wedge
Putter: White Hot #6

The most embarrassing thing is to not put the strap on your bag. Then when you go to haul ass with both hands off the first tee, your bag crashes to the ground. Everyone on the course knows what that sound is.

For embarrassing tee shots, the worst was probably when I shanked one and it hit the big stone tee marker, shot between my legs and hit my partner sitting in the cart. Greatness.

By the way, if the course is backed up on the first tee and you hit a bad shot and decide to hit a mulligan, be prepared to hear some mutters. Not cool. If it's OB or iffy, hit another one by all means. But if you don't feel like playing some wormburner that barely cleared the ladies tees and feel like you have earned a second chance, go find a par 3 course and let the golfers have the golf course. Mulligans are a crutch for bad golfers to feel better about what might have been. If you want to play might-have-been, tee it up in the fairway as well. Don't bother counting all those putts either. They're all good inside 6 feet. If you want to cheat, might as well shoot a really good score doing it. The way I score a mulligan is you are lying three, since you declared your first shot unplayable. Sorry for the rant. It's been raining too much to play so I'm grumpy.
In my bag:
The failed hopes and dreams of 25 years of golf (on DG S300 shafts with Lamkin Crossline midsize grips)

The most embarrassing thing is to not put the strap on your bag. Then when you go to haul ass with both hands off the first tee, your bag crashes to the ground. Everyone on the course knows what that sound is.

Should I talk about that? Sometimes when I try to shift the golf cart into reverse, I reach for where the gearshift in my car is. And the occasional time I'd deliberately mess with the strap on my buddy's bag so it would fall off sooner or later.

By the way, if the course is backed up on the first tee and you hit a bad shot and decide to hit a mulligan, be prepared to hear some mutters. Not cool. If it's OB or iffy, hit another one by all means. But if you don't feel like playing some wormburner that barely cleared the ladies tees and feel like you have earned a second chance, go find a par 3 course and let the golfers have the golf course. Mulligans are a crutch for bad golfers to feel better about what might have been. If you want to play might-have-been, tee it up in the fairway as well. Don't bother counting all those putts either. They're all good inside 6 feet. If you want to cheat, might as well shoot a really good score doing it. The way I score a mulligan is you are lying three, since you declared your first shot unplayable. Sorry for the rant. It's been raining too much to play so I'm grumpy.

Well, if it's OB, you gotta hit another one. I take a mulligan off the first tee, and only then. And not with 20 people waiting, unless I know my shot's unplayable.

Well, some of us are to busy playing to take the time to practice. Besides my course doesn't have a practice area ( no driving range only a flat putting green that is not at all like the greens on the course).

The only chance to "warm up" is a first tee "mulligan". I know rules do not allow practice on the course, but what are you gonna do? Don't assume that a first tee "mulligan" is a bad thing, for some of us it is our first hit of the day( or week, or more)

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

Note:Β This thread is 6104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!