IGNORED

Ping i20 Irons - Help

Note: This thread is 3898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah, the Anser Putter is going to be finding its way into my bag soon haha so it will be all Ping.

Driver: Undecided..Someone help me decide
Fast 12 3 Wood 15* Stiff Shaft
A12 3 Hybrid 19* Stiff Shaft
CB Blade Irons (4-7) Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts
MB Blade Irons (8-PW) Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts
SM4 52* Oil Can Wedge - S300 Shaft
SM4 56* Oil Can Wedge - S300 Shaft
SM4 60* Oil Cal Wedge - Wedge Flex
2010 California Series - Monterey - 35'

• 4 weeks later...

i have the u,s, and l. The u wedge and sand wedge are pretty good. I have always played blade wedges. These wedges are great from tight and fluffy lies, not so good off hardpan.

• 5 weeks later...
I am new to this group so please forgive me. I am 62 and play 1-2 times a week in the Summer. Don't practice anymore because of time and bad neck. 30 years ago I played Ping Eye2 irons and still have in basement. Used to hit them ok and with G15 irons I hit the ball about same distance as I did Eye2s. Meaning a 7 iron hit well goes from 150-160 yards. I am looking at new Pings and wondering is there any reason I should not consider I20(is there an i25 coming out) as opposed to G25? Is the I20 the descendant of the Eye2 or is the G20/25? I have had graphite shafts in G15s but not sure if there is any good reason to have them. And having moved to senior tees I am having much more fun! Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

I'm pondering the G20 irons. They are more forgiving and lower in price. I agree that the I20 look better but from what I've read the G20 flat perform.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Thanks. I suspect you are correct. Like a pretty woman, am trying to talk myself into the looks of I20. Suspect that I will hit the G series more consistently and ought to not try kidding myself. My only complaint is that even with irons all 2 degrees strong, I hit all of the irons too high for wind playing or should I say that I can't control them enough to hit them low without ballooning. Using standard graphite shafts in G15. Still, would be interested in knowing is either the current I or G series a descendant from the old Eye2, or are they just different clubs.

I've tried mizuno's and ping i20 last year. Mizuno is softer, because there forged. Ping i20's are still casted.

As for distance, i20 will be slightly longer, and especially on the mishits. There lofts and lengths are very much similar iron by iron, but mis-hits is were you will make up some distance. So average will be slightly longer.

ping i20's are a very very good club, i am not diminishing them from MP's of mizuno's, its just two different processes on making irons. Honestly i probably wouldn't gain much difference in play between the two irons. For me, when you get to player irons, were your looking at the top 5-10 sets of irons for a year. I don't see much difference in feel and performance, some will feel slightly softer, it all depends on personal preference, how the club looks, how much forgiveness you want, ect. There is a ton of leeway for golfers in the player irons spectrum. Really, if anyone who can make decent contact says that player irons are to tough for them, haven't looked into the diversity that is out there for player irons.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...

Had my i20's for almost a year. Played the Ping Zing's for the 15 years prior to that. Struggled at first with the KBS Tour S shafts. But it did eventually come to me. I was a 20 handicap when I got these and now I'm a solid 10. Was fit on the iN Flight machine that Ping has out now. Learned alot about how I spin the ball with different clubs. I have the 3-PW, UW, and SW. I want to get the LW as well. The longer clubs give decent feedback on off center hits but not that of a forged club, so needless to say I don't pull my 3 & 4 out often. I have a 19* Adams Super Hybrid for that. IMHO the 6-SW are the best clubs of this set. I'm not as strong as I use to be and I can tell it. I'm seriously thinking of moving to the Aerotech Steelfiber Shafts in the i95 Stiff. I hit these when I was fit with the KBS's and really like the feel, just couldn't swing the dough for the shaft. I immediately could tell the wide sole was there as they are not on the Zing's. Seemed to get the ball in the air a little quicker than my old set. Could have been the shafts too. I do like this set but I am now looking at the Bridgestone J40 Dual Cavity Back with the factory installed Steelfiber shaft. For what it would cast me to get the i20's reshafted I can get the J40's for about $100 more. Overall I'd give this set a 7 out of 10. I know I dropped 10 off my handicap but I feel I can do better.

Driver      -  K15 10.5 w/ Ping TFC149D Shaft in stiff

4 Wood   -  Rapture V2 17.5* Aldila S-75

Hybrid    -   Super Hybrid SS 19* w/ Matrix Program

Irons      -   i20's 3-W, UW, SW & LW w/ KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" White Dot

Putter    -   White Ice #9 33"

Ball       -   B330-S & B330-RXS

D2 Feel

Bragging about a 200 yard 7 iron is not golf.

• 1 month later...
I am in a similar boat, only I have Titleist 710 MB blades and I love it and hit them very well, 90% of the time. Bim just curious to see how good the I20 is, I have Project X 5.5 and confused wht I'm even looking at another club. Please any comment or help will be appreciated. Cheers

I have owned i20's for over a year now. I went from Adams CB2's, I also struggled with a very high ball flight, got them with CFC stiff. I changed my shifts a week before the Wyoming open (huge mistake changing something that big prior to a 3 day tournament). I smeitched to rifle precision 5.5 and my flight seems to have stabilized. In the year since owning them I have finally broken 80, love the clubs!! You won't be disappointed with any ping item!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my i20s for a few weeks now. Project X 5.5 and I love these clubs.  Hit em long and high and can work distances a little. Just can't say enough about my i20s.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

Also on my second season with i20's. Sent mine back to PING to have the lie adjusted to black dot from a more upright lie...made all the difference in the world as my swing has flattened a bit. I did also get a set of G20's this winter and put the 4 and 5 iron in the set to make them even easier to hit...working well so far!

Originally Posted by rwfastrax

Also on my second season with i20's. Sent mine back to PING to have the lie adjusted to black dot from a more upright lie...made all the difference in the world as my swing has flattened a bit. I did also get a set of G20's this winter and put the 4 and 5 iron in the set to make them even easier to hit...working well so far!

Nice, I put the 4i G20 in with my 5-gw i20 for this season as well.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...
Note: This thread is 3898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!