IGNORED

when you flush a shot

Note: This thread is 4184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

when you flush a shot, after you feel the ball compress and rocket off the face, do you feel the shaft sort of wiggle lije its exloding at impact. i've asked my buddy that I always play with and some guys in the clubhouse but no one knows what I mean. im a real big guy. 6'1" 275 with a 425lb squat 475 dead lift. i hit medium long 7i about 170, 6 about 190. the ball goes straight generally or a slight hook. im playing kbs tour stiff shafts w/ mp-59s and i'm pretty happy. i just wonder if I need an x-stiff shaft. is that wiggle affecting accuracy or length? my ball flight is def on the higher side. i have trouble hitting punch shots.

• Administrator

Quite honestly, that depends on the size of the divot, the type of grass and dirt, the moisture levels, etc. And the shaft you're using.

I've felt it, but it's not common.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Off of a matt at the range when I am overswinging and I get it just right (pure) with my 8i. It goes about 160 (which I have no right to be hitting an 8i) and I'll get a definite feeling that the shaft is vibrating. Happens about once every other bucket. Probably means that the strike was exactly at the frequency of the shaft...the shaft was plucked like a guitar string. But not something that really matters to swing well.

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

i dont take much of a divot until I get down to wedges and then not always. im a bit of a picker but def hit down and through. i feel this on prob 75% of my swings. my irons have been grooved. so of course im putting terribly. so it goes... cant complain about puring my irons but like I said just curious if an x stiff would be better maybe I just want c-tapers and am trying to justify

I only feel that when I'm trying to hit a punch shot, and that's because the iron digs into the turf, which is generally pretty hard at my home courses. Either that or I feel it do that when I really blade it. If you don't want to spend $200 on C-Tapers, you can always go to the hardware store, buy a couple yards of adhesive window stripping, fold it around some fishing wire (for easy removal) and slide it into the shaft next time you regrip your irons. Helps minimize vibrations, or at least absorb some of them without dimishing the feel all that much.

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

Originally Posted by Audaxi

I only feel that when I'm trying to hit a punch shot, and that's because the iron digs into the turf, which is generally pretty hard at my home courses.

If by "flushing it" the OP means when I bury my iron up to the hosel after impact (not something I try to do, but it happens), then yes I have experienced this.

When I hit one flush, pure, whatever, it actually feels a little like a fat shot except a fat shot goes about 30 yrds and a pure shot goes about 30 yrds farther than expected.

I only started feeling this consistently after re-reading The Impact Zone and finally understanding the aiming point concept, which I believe is called Impact Hand Location in TGM terms.

LOL, in a way, I actually am trying to bury the iron up to the hosel after impact, this doesn't actually happen but it seems to work well as a swing thought.

YMMV.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Sorry, I don't know the feeling.  The only time I ever feel vibrations, it's always a bad thing.  Severe toe hits rattle my hands and hurt my fingers like hell (especially if its cold) as if I got sawed off on an inside fastball.  And, also as mentioned above, if I dig my club into the turf too much, or if I hit a root or something in the ground I didn't know was there, are the only other times I feel vibrations.

Im 5'10" 180 last time I stepped on a scale and my best sets this year are squat 360x5 deadlift 375x5. I hit 6i 185, 7i 175, 8i 165. I am playing snake eyes 685x irons with Project x 6.0 shafts 1/2" short of standard... I switched this year from a set of macgregor forged PCB irons with true temper stiff shafts... they were a good 3/4" longer then my current shafts. the new irons have a bit weaker face angle. I think the new shafts being a bit stiffer made the difference because I gained about 10 yards on each club when I made the switch. i'm hitting 9 iron now from the 150 stake rather then 8 iron.

As far as the vibration in the shaft I have never felt it on a pure shot, only when I lay the sod over it. A stiffer shaft may help you, but I would think you would see inconsistent ball flight if the shaft were too weak.

I play KBS also but on Adams cb2's. I think I know what your feeling as well and it's just a resonating shudder up through the shaft but I also don't think it's anything to worry about. I have to admit to playing graphite for the past 20 years so I'm more used to a softer thud than steel but accuracy is more important so I made the switch to get into the low index range.

Note: This thread is 4184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!