IGNORED

125 mph Swing Speed Driver Help!

Note: This thread is 3902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For the people who are "questioning my claim" this is my actual driver swing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el8d0bOkcsQ

the video on my page is from over a year ago

and this is my PW swing to see how I swing my irons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1GdXoA7YkQ

Dunno if that drive was 125, but i don't doubt if u do. U do have great acceleration through the ball from such a slow start late in the swing, just a backseat observation, by no means im I a trusted source... But with acceleration like that I think u need xx-stiff, maybe mid kick, low torque. Maybe check out a titleist outfitter who normally carries alot of swappable shafts on hand.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Why do you care if somebody points out that something impossible isn't possible?

It's a got damn forum for discussion, if I want to partake in the discussion of the possibility of something (which is a funking matter of fact), then I will do so.  If somebody wants to proclaim that somebody is full of BS, why shouldn't they?  What skin is it off of your back?

Because I want to read content relevant to the OPs question, instead of wading through a bunch of posts by guys saying something can't happen, just because they can't personally do it.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

Originally Posted by chilly

Because I want to read content relevant to the OPs question, instead of wading through a bunch of posts by guys saying something can't happen, just because they can't personally do it.

So if someone saying they high jumped over 7 feet posted a video that looks more like a jump at about 6 feet I can't comment on it because I think even 6 feet is beyond my ability?

When I hit a driver the ball travels a long way. I honestly don't know what my swing speed is but I do know how far the ball travels in real life. One thing I don't do (or at least I haven't yet) is post retail outlet data as my average clubhead speed. Unless I really do carry a 2-hybrid 315 yards on average?!?

Why are you so sure I'm not swinging that fast?  That speed claims include two different club fittings with a range of 122-131 depending on length of shaft/ how flexible I'm feeling and other factors.  Can you tell from a video?  I'm more asking for curiosity reasons, because if you explain why think the machines/radars I've used are incorrect I would believe you.  Obviously from my swing I'm not that good, and learning so advcice would be helpful.  P.S. I don't use a 2 hybrid, but do use my 4 hybrid up to 265 pretty comfortably.

Originally Posted by HackerUpNorth

Why are you so sure I'm not swinging that fast?  That speed claims include two different club fittings with a range of 122-131 depending on length of shaft/ how flexible I'm feeling and other factors.  Can you tell from a video?  I'm more asking for curiosity reasons, because if you explain why think the machines/radars I've used are incorrect I would believe you.  Obviously from my swing I'm not that good, and learning so advcice would be helpful.  P.S. I don't use a 2 hybrid, but do use my 4 hybrid up to 265 pretty comfortably.

If you've had two different club fittings why are you asking people here what shaft you need? Was the discrepancy (9mph) an issue or the price?

Maybe you do swing 125mph, but you're swinging at 100 percent effort with poor mechanics, other than club head speed. I see that from guys on the range (and occasionally on the course) every week and never thought it would be 125mph. I guess I was wrong.

For argument's sake would you consider any of the swings in the videos you posted "comfortable" swings? Why get fitted for swinging as hard as you possibly can?

Originally Posted by HackerUpNorth

125 is in the "elite" spectrum of club head speed.  I honestly can't tell how fast your swing is from that recent video you posted, but I do recall seeing Tiger Woods, DJ and Bubba Watson in a tournament about 1.5-2 months ago.  They all teed off on a par 5 on the back 9 and their swing speeds were all in the range of 124-127 (if I remember correctly).  Obviously they could swing faster if they weren't trying to hit controlled shots in the fairway, but it was still incredibly fast to my naked eye.  So when guys hear a swing speed that high, they will naturally be skeptical.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Datsyuk

Maybe you do swing 125mph, but you're swinging at 100 percent effort with poor mechanics, other than club head speed  .... Why get fitted for swinging as hard as you possibly can?

Datsyuk sounds a little pissy here, but he's 100% right.  You've totally ignored this element of the thread.  Given you're interested enough to get fitted I assume you're pretty serious about golf and care about getting better, which, when combined with how incredibly hard you swing the club, I infer means that you've taken on some version of the attitude that you're athletic, have always been a natural at hitting things farther than others in racquet/bat/club sports, and everyone else can basically s**k it if they don't understand how easy it is for you to hit things far and you just need to fine tune your mechanics and you'll be hitting 70% fairways at 340.

The only thing I'll say is to again note that the stock swing of the BEST IN THE WORLD is NOWHERE CLOSE to 100%.  They can all go to the range and carry drives 20-40 yards farther than they do on the course.  From that video of yours when you're on the course, I'd say you can't hit the ball 1mm farther on the range than you can on the course.  So what you're really claiming by convincing yourself that you can learn to play good golf swinging that way is that you're more talented than everyone in the world who earns millions of dollars every year playing golf.

Think about that before you go get fitted for driver head and shaft for your 128mph tarzan swing...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm with mdl and datsyuk here ... you don't want to get fitted for that swing because it's way too out of control.  I know that kind of swing because it's the swing that I try when I'm either farting around with friends on the range seeing if we can hit it over the fence, or when I'm last up in a scramble and somebody else has already bombed one out in the fairway as far as I'd probably hit a good drive anyway ... so why not go all Happy Gilmore on it and see what happens (other than the possibility of hurting myself)

You just need to practice and figure out the most aggressive powerful swing that you can replicate with consistency and control.  If your out-of-control swing is 125, then certainly you can put something in the 110-115 range with control.  To slightly tweak what somebody already said, hitting it 290-300 instead of 320-330 is not going to cost you anything.  Especially when you are going to find the fairway a lot more.

P.S.  I have a RazrFit with an X-flex Diamana Ka'ili 72g and I love it.  (Not sure, but I think I'm in the 106-108 SS range)

I know it looks like 100% effort but believe me thats not the actual case.  Balance is a huge problem of mine, and thats something I'm currently working on with my local Golf Instructor.  If you noticed the difference between my first driver video to this one, my speed is just as fast if not faster, but at least I look more stable, not real stable, but at least more so.  To answer why I'm asking, is because I've had two club fittings, and both times the clubs I came out of it with, the pros I've worked with for lessons both thought they weren't the right fit for me.  I blame that on being from a small town with no great clubmakers here in my price range, so I wanted reccomendations from people on here who I figured might have more knowledge.   I just took this video to show the difference in my normal swing the first two, and trying 100 % the last two swings, not sure I'm actually any faster but I'm trying harder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OzD3kR742A

Originally Posted by mdl

Datsyuk sounds a little pissy here, but he's 100% right.  You've totally ignored this element of the thread.  Given you're interested enough to get fitted I assume you're pretty serious about golf and care about getting better, which, when combined with how incredibly hard you swing the club, I infer means that you've taken on some version of the attitude that you're athletic, have always been a natural at hitting things farther than others in racquet/bat/club sports, and everyone else can basically s**k it if they don't understand how easy it is for you to hit things far and you just need to fine tune your mechanics and you'll be hitting 70% fairways at 340.

The only thing I'll say is to again note that the stock swing of the BEST IN THE WORLD is NOWHERE CLOSE to 100%.  They can all go to the range and carry drives 20-40 yards farther than they do on the course.  From that video of yours when you're on the course, I'd say you can't hit the ball 1mm farther on the range than you can on the course.  So what you're really claiming by convincing yourself that you can learn to play good golf swinging that way is that you're more talented than everyone in the world who earns millions of dollars every year playing golf.

Think about that before you go get fitted for driver head and shaft for your 128mph tarzan swing...

I dont tell people to s##k it because obviously I'm not a great player, and low scores is what matters.  I appreciate the advice and will take it all in consideration, but as I said in the post above this, that is not my 100% swing.  On the range if I'm really going after it, when I don't hit a 280-290 monster slice, I hit my furthest shots I would say at least 20-30 yards further on average than the farthest ones I hit on the course.  Does that matter, not really if I'm still not hitting most of my fairways, so I will continue to work on control with my instructor.

The new swings look a little bit more in control, but they're dry swings with no ball, which tend to be quite different from real swings, so it's hard to tell.  And even with the dry slightly smoother swing you're still spinning out.

Last note, if you've really got a regular instructor, you need a new one!  I have no pretensions about being an instructor or anything, but that huge horrible sway back over your right foot on the back swing is one of the most basic, most obvious killers for us amateurs.  One of the easiest things to spot that leads to massive inconsistency and often big slices.  I would think that would be among the first things any decent instructor would have you work on.  If he's telling you that's an okay move cause you have an "aggressive transition", he has no idea what he's talking about and you need a new instructor.  Like I said earlier, plenty of players, modern and classic, have lifted the front foot and bowed the front knee and made a very aggressive transition, so that's all okay in principle.  But literally zero of them sway(ed)/slid(e) their hips or head back towards their back foot or stood up over their back foot (you do all three, sliding both head and hips back and standing up a little on top of your right foot, all killers).  They may have loaded up with lots of pressure in the back foot, but none sway like that.

I want to see an in control video with a ball where your weight stays 100% centered on the back swing.  If you can hit one 330 that way where it doesn't look like you're trying to murder the ball then I'll believe you can keep working on mechanics with a swing where the straight hits go 330.  I don't think that's totally out of the question, as you've clearly got some athletic ability and a natural feel for whipping the club through with good SS, but I still think you're not quite admitting to yourself how hard you're swinging.  It's hard to believe there's anywhere for you to get 20-30 yards more power from relative to that first on the course driver video in your my swing thread.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

It's clear he can swing the club fast.  I have no idea how fast, though, and I doubt anybody here can really help with the original question without knowing specifics of his repeatable swing.  Best bet is to get fitted for a new shaft/driver.  That's what this thread (and its title) was for, right?

Right?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Yes, you should definitely get fitted properly regardless of what club you were to buy. With a high swing speed, lower lofts may come into play, but shafts are hard to choose without knowing current spin rates or how you load the shaft. In response to mdl, the spinning out could be the fact that I don't believe he is wearing golf spikes, or the fact that he was swinging while on a mat.

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

Thank You for the help from everyone. I will work on the advice, and obvious problems that everyone notices and see if I can make a change. Now in those videos yes I'm wearing running shoes on matts/wet dirt on all the videos so that does play some part in it, when I'm on the course with my golf spikes people notice my feet are more stable.  But I do have a problem shifting my weight to my right, and feet keeping still, and that is something my instructor and I work on, and during practice I get better, usually forget when I'm by myself, but is something I'm trying to ingrain into myself.  I never claimed to hit 330 yard straight drives.  From what I understand even the PGA guys who average 120+ still average 295-315 depending on spin/launch/ other conditions.  I understand it may not seem like it in the last video, but the last two of the 4 total swings I used a longer backswing, and shift my hips even more aggressively and I can defiantly hit the ball 20-30 yards further when I connect than the first two swings that I use on the course.

For the people who are "questioning my claim" this is my actual driver swing [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el8d0bOkcsQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el8d0bOkcsQ[/URL] the video on my page is from over a year ago and this is my PW swing to see how I swing my irons [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1GdXoA7YkQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1GdXoA7YkQ[/URL]

They look like decent swings, but why is the YouTube search category under "comedy"?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

They look like decent swings, but why is the YouTube search category under "comedy"?

ha ha its because when I posted the first video a long time ago its this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyOd3Ev8ym4

it was a pretty funny video of me hitting a tree, and I guess all the rest of the videos are under the same category

Just and update, I recently purchased a Titleist 907D2 8.5 with a 45" UST V2 Proforce X stiff and I absolutely love this club!  I hit it very straight for me, and my misses aren't nearly as bad.  I can't hit the huge high slices like I use to even if I tried.  Part of that comes from the lower loft, shorter length of shaft, and the fact even though its a x stiff and 76g it still feels a little light and soft so i can't at least feel like I'm swinging that hard, really have to control my swing, and that has helped tremendously.  Thank you for the help and advice

Note: This thread is 3902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!