IGNORED

125 mph Swing Speed Driver Help!

Note: This thread is 3902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by x129

Why do you think an off the rack driver would swing slower than some custom one? Better clubs don't swing faster (well maybe if they have different weights/swing weights). They will help you be more accurate and maybe hit the ball farther.  Tiger and Rory are great for a lot of reasons other than clubhead speed. If that was all that mattered Jamie S would be the best golfer in the world.

Do pros get their clubs off the rack at Dick's or Golf Warehouse? Didn't think so.................why is that then?

Yes; you give them an off the rack club and they'll still whip anyone's ass here. Talent is like that but they know to maximize their distance/accuracy to compete at the very top level on tour they fit their clubs to their swings. And if you seriously looked at the video the OP posted you'd know that isn't reaching much above 100 mph. It looks fast compared to the backswing but no different than most things you'd see on the range.

Originally Posted by Pablo68

Just started reading Golf Digest's December 2012 issue and they compare Rory's and Tiger's swing down the line. Both are at 120 mph and @ 300+ yds / 290+ yds respectively with much better mechanics and top of the line equipment tailor made to their swings. These guys are the greatest in the world..........

Can someone explain to me after viewing the video of the OP (big sway, little shoulder turn, etc...) how the hell that swing with off the rack equipment is capable of generating Tiger/Rory type clubhead speed? Hell, I'd be surprised if it's that much above 100 mph.......

Sorry but I'm thinking these posts are just a big fishing expedition and the fish are really biting.

And OP, if you really are serious those guys measuring your swing speed are trying to sell you something. Go to your local pro for lessons to fix those obvious faults and have that guy measure your speed before/after.

Actually, I am more inclined to believe Pablo and Datsyuk about the 125 being pretty extreme (although I have seen folks at my ranges swing really fast). Furthermore, you can tell on a video how fast someone swings.

Watch this video from a coach "Mark Crossfield" with on line golf instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsgzCTa55ZQ

If you look at the swings and listen to them, there is a significant difference between the 103, 109 and 127 mph swings. In fact the 127 swing looked like the club wraps around "gorilla James's" shoulder on follow through. You can hear the swish of the club head as it snaps back from the follow through position to a relaxed position. That was fast.

The OP might be able to swing 125, but the videos he posted show a swing speed more like the coach which was about 103. Except that "Mark hits fairways".

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You mad bro?

Since you've posted this on the internet and added a personal insult as well, it must be true. Just like carrying a ball 290 yards with a 3 wood to ace a par 4.

Strength and size do not equate to distance but to humor you, I'm referring to your swing in the video. That is no where close to 125 mph although props to you for cracking 100 mph with that swing.

If strength and size did actually trump or negate technique, why is the tour full of skinny bastards and not full of goons? Ian Woosnam was listed at 5' 4" and hit the ball a ton. Keegan Bradley and Bubba Watson make Ethiopians look bulky but they are among the longest hitters on tour. Why?

My hole in one, really?  You have brought this up so many times now, I can't believe your that jealous get over yourself.  Anyways strenght and size don't fully equate to distance very true, and either does talent as there is a lot of talented people can't hit over 250 yards, but I gurantee having strenght and size help, as does talent.  People may not believe, that is their right, but my speed I have had measured at local club pro's, 3 times now, just did again at my recent lesson to see if I was crazy, averaged 127 , so I believe in the video you might not believe me, but i don't know if there is a way to convince you.  If it hit my 6 iron 210 yards, 3wood off the deck 275+ yards, how fast do you think my swing speed is?  I will gladly lesson, and if you explain how I get those distances with a much slower swing speed I will gladly lesson.

Originally Posted by Lihu

Actually, I am more inclined to believe Pablo and Datsyuk about the 125 being pretty extreme (although I have seen folks at my ranges swing really fast). Furthermore, you can tell on a video how fast someone swings.

Watch this video from a coach "Mark Crossfield" with on line golf instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsgzCTa55ZQ

If you look at the swings and listen to them, there is a significant difference between the 103, 109 and 127 mph swings. In fact the 127 swing looked like the club wraps around "gorilla James's" shoulder on follow through. You can hear the swish of the club head as it snaps back from the follow through position to a relaxed position. That was fast.

The OP might be able to swing 125, but the videos he posted show a swing speed more like the coach which was about 103. Except that "Mark hits fairways".

You can't tell swingspeed accurately through a youtube video I'm sorry.  I believe people who say they can tell ss based on video less than I do people who say they swing 125 on the internet.  THere are guys that make 125-130 look effortless and without seeing the ball fly you would never tell.

This is worse than people arguing over the size of a fish in a picture.

My hole in one, really?  You have brought this up so many times now, I can't believe your that jealous get over yourself.  Anyways strenght and size don't fully equate to distance very true, and either does talent as there is a lot of talented people can't hit over 250 yards, but I gurantee having strenght and size help, as does talent.  People may not believe, that is their right, but my speed I have had measured at local club pro's, 3 times now, just did again at my recent lesson to see if I was crazy, averaged 127 , so I believe in the video you might not believe me, but i don't know if there is a way to convince you.  If it hit my 6 iron 210 yards, 3wood off the deck 275+ yards, how fast do you think my swing speed is?  I will gladly lesson, and if you explain how I get those distances with a much slower swing speed I will gladly lesson.

There's no reason to disbelieve that you could drive 125 or even 127, but the videos clearly don't show that speed. Maybe at the clubfitters, you are more relaxed and can hit faster there? In any case, it doesn't really matter how fast of far you drive to us internet folks. It only matters how it affects your game performance. If it gives you more confidence on the course, that's good too.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

You can't tell swingspeed accurately through a youtube video I'm sorry.  I believe people who say they can tell ss based on video less than I do people who say they swing 125 on the internet.  THere are guys that make 125-130 look effortless and without seeing the ball fly you would never tell.      This is worse than people arguing over the size of a fish in a picture.

The difference was pretty clear to me. Unless the frame rate was different. We are talking about a 25% increase in speed. I'm an engineer, and am constantly plagued by non-technical people not looking at the facts (this unfortunate situation is often times with other engineers). If there is a reference, like a human being in the picture, the size of a fish is pretty obvious. Given, of course, that we are talking about a normal sized person (within +/-5 inches).

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Originally Posted by Bonesaw

You can't tell swingspeed accurately through a youtube video I'm sorry.  I believe people who say they can tell ss based on video less than I do people who say they swing 125 on the internet.  THere are guys that make 125-130 look effortless and without seeing the ball fly you would never tell.

This is worse than people arguing over the size of a fish in a picture.

11 inches

Originally Posted by HackerUpNorth

Yes; I brought up your claim of a 290+ yard 3 wood carry to ace a par 4 as a sarcastic reply to your claim to also hit your 6 iron an AVERAGE of 210 yards in which you also called me a jackass. It's not out of jealousy that I bring it up; it's sarcasm that since you posted it on the internet it MUST be true. You also claim now to hit your 3 wood an AVERAGE 275+ yards from the fairway. You point to these as accepted facts that are well known feats of American History when someone doubts the validity of your clubhead speed claim.

I don't doubt you actually believe your AVERAGE 6 iron travels 210+ yards, your AVERAGE 3 wood is good for 275+ yards from the fairway and your AVERAGE drive is 310+ yards.

Lastly, given the quote above of your last post, perhaps instead of shopping for shafts to match your 'wicked awesome superfast everyone's jealous' clubhead speed, you invest in some reading comprehension material and some English tutoring.

Pros don't buy clubs off the rack for the same reason that they don't swing clubs that maximize club head speed. Because clubhead speed isn't something that want to maximize. If it was they would all be swinging 48" drivers.  If you offered a pro 1 million bucks, I bet they would have no problem walking into dicks and swinging pretty much every driver (excluding jrs and maybe some super whippy thing that they just can't handle) in the store there faster than their PGA max speed for the year. Of course the LA, spin and the rest would be all messed up and they wouldn't be hitting the center of the face. Sounds like the exact same problems our OP is having. If you doubt how little the club changes the swing speed, read the reviews when people try different clubs and the swing speed is almost with in 2mph unless they are using drastically different weights or lengths.

Do I think the OP routinely swings 125mph? Nope. But I have no doubt he has been on a machine that said that. But a lot of those machines are not calibrated right or accurate enough. I have seen 110 on the speed radar several for example and 115 on a pro3swing simulator. My more realistic number is more like 97-99. I haven't looked at any where near enough swings on video to be accurate within 10 mph. I am not even sure that is possible with 24fps.  I have looked at enough pro swings that are the exact same MPH but look totally different as far as effort to know that trying to figure out what the speed was the 1/100th of a second before impact is useless.

The OP question is unanswerable. Other than hitting a bunch of different shafts no one is going to be able to tell him what works for his swing.

Do pros get their clubs off the rack at Dick's or Golf Warehouse? Didn't think so.................why is that then?

Yes; you give them an off the rack club and they'll still whip anyone's ass here. Talent is like that but they know to maximize their distance/accuracy to compete at the very top level on tour they fit their clubs to their swings. And if you seriously looked at the video the OP posted you'd know that isn't reaching much above 100 mph. It looks fast compared to the backswing but no different than most things you'd see on the range.

Why is everyone getting so pissy again about his claim of 125 mph?  Have any of y'all actually spent any time around lots of good athletes in golf or other racquet/bat sports?  It's silly to pretend you can tell within a very small error window exactly what someone's swing speed is just from looking at a youtube vid (though if you know the FPS then of course you could estimate), but it's quite obvious to me that it's totally plausible he's clocked some 125 mph swings at the fitter.

As you can read above, I've strongly advocated for him toning it down and not swing out of his shoes and learn to hit the ball 80-90% of his current distance but get 2x-4x his FW%.  But look at the huge hip snap and whip.  It's totally possible he's getting up to 125 mph on some swings.  Also possible he's exaggerating and it's more like 110+, but still, why the hate and oh so sure yourself total denial of the possibility?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Yes; I brought up your claim of a 290+ yard 3 wood carry to ace a par 4 as a sarcastic reply to your claim to also hit your 6 iron an AVERAGE of 210 yards in which you also called me a jackass. It's not out of jealousy that I bring it up; it's sarcasm that since you posted it on the internet it MUST be true. You also claim now to hit your 3 wood an AVERAGE 275+ yards from the fairway. You point to these as accepted facts that are well known feats of American History when someone doubts the validity of your clubhead speed claim.

I don't doubt you actually believe your AVERAGE 6 iron travels 210+ yards, your AVERAGE 3 wood is good for 275+ yards from the fairway and your AVERAGE drive is 310+ yards.

Lastly, given the quote above of your last post, perhaps instead of shopping for shafts to match your 'wicked awesome superfast everyone's jealous' clubhead speed, you invest in some reading comprehension material and some English tutoring.

You got me, I will take the English tutoring.

I'm back,

1. can't say- given the quote above of your last post",  you must say quoting your last post, or a quote from your last post.

2.  it should be wickedly not wicked

3. superfast is not a word, its super fast

4.  and you said" you invest in some reading comprehension material...", you should have said "you should invest,

jackass

So lets get back to golf shall we?

I never said 290+, I said 290 yard.  The fact that you throw in the + is an obvious effort to ignore what I say, or try and make it sound like I'm exaggerating.

Now I know I'm a high handicapper so I understand if I averaged in my topping of the ball, lifting my head, or whatever beginners do, then that would lower my average.  When I state an average its based on hundreds of balls hit at driving range, and then being on the course and from a certain distance knowing exactly what club to pull out, if I top it, sure I won't hit my yardage, but if I make a descent connection those are my yardages.  I appreciate everyone else's advice, and currently trying to ease up on my swing, by taking a shorter back swing, and making my feet not so wide, causing less body movement.  So far I've had good results, and it hasn't affected my distances.

The difference was pretty clear to me. Unless the frame rate was different. We are talking about a 25% increase in speed. I'm an engineer, and am constantly plagued by non-technical people not looking at the facts (this unfortunate situation is often times with other engineers).

If there is a reference, like a human being in the picture, the size of a fish is pretty obvious. Given, of course, that we are talking about a normal sized person (within +/-5 inches).

Lihu, first off I always enjoy your post, your come off as very intelligent and calm.  When comparing videos wouldn't you have to see the speed difference in the last quarter of the downswing before contact, as some people start accelerating faster, while others start slow and really speed up before contact.  Could also be people have a different follow through,  cwhich some make it look like faster, others might have a short one causing the swing to not look as fast?  I'm just curious what you think, and how you compare.   thank you

A married woman might believe that's 11" given what they've been led to believe.............

Or else, that's the biggest hand I ever saw! :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Lihu, first off I always enjoy your post, your come off as very intelligent and calm.  When comparing videos wouldn't you have to see the speed difference in the last quarter of the downswing before contact, as some people start accelerating faster, while others start slow and really speed up before contact.  Could also be people have a different follow through,  cwhich some make it look like faster, others might have a short one causing the swing to not look as fast?  I'm just curious what you think, and how you compare.   thank you

Good points. I decided to look at quite a few swings on YouTube. I watched Rory (there's something wired different in this kid, because he's a golfing machine), Tiger, Ernie Els, Fred Couples, lots of Bubba Watson. Then a whole bunch of the long drivers. Then I watched a whole bunch of videos of the normal pros hitting 105 to 110. There is a significant difference in what you see, even on videos. The speed difference is like watching a car moving 60 and one traveling 80. It is relatively easy to see. in the case of a golf swing, the amount of shaft flex is very perceptible as well. I think the issue of hitting 105 versus 127 as far as shafts go is moot assuming you buy the shaft for the 127 mph person. The video with Mark Crossfield seems to indicate why you need a particular shaft for high speed swingers. Yet, it can be used by a 100mph swinger as well. My guess is that you have the right shaft to use at 100 as well as 125. So, there is no difference. If you had bought a "stock shaft", maybe you could hit farther and higher? Maybe, when you have a well developed swing of 125 you would need to move up to the $500 shaft. IMHO, from an engineering perspective, I do not understand why there are $500 shafts, other than marketing. Maybe they will make multiple element shafts in the future with nanotubes for $10,000, but does it make sense to get 25% more distance? You should check out the LDA, they have many shafts and club heads for fast swingers. I looked at Jamie Sadlowski (5'10" 165 pounds) videos. He mentions that club heads only last a couple hundred drives or so. Impressive. He swings 150mph, and has the genetic disposition for speed.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

He mentions that club heads only last a couple hundred drives or so. Impressive. He swings 150mph, and has the genetic disposition for speed.

They only last for a couple hundred drives when your main objective is smacking it as far as you can down the range. With a 150 mph SS, he might see a tad bit more wear and tear of his clubface than me or many others do :p.

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

Originally Posted by HackerUpNorth

You got me, I will take the English tutoring.

I'm back,

1. can't say- given the quote above of your last post",  you must say quoting your last post, or a quote from your last post.

2.  it should be wickedly not wicked

3. superfast is not a word, its super fast

4.  and you said" you invest in some reading comprehension material...", you should have said "you should invest,

jackass

So lets get back to golf shall we?

I never said 290+, I said 290 yard.  The fact that you throw in the + is an obvious effort to ignore what I say, or try and make it sound like I'm exaggerating.

Now I know I'm a high handicapper so I understand if I averaged in my topping of the ball, lifting my head, or whatever beginners do, then that would lower my average.  When I state an average its based on hundreds of balls hit at driving range, and then being on the course and from a certain distance knowing exactly what club to pull out, if I top it, sure I won't hit my yardage, but if I make a descent connection those are my yardages.  I appreciate everyone else's advice, and currently trying to ease up on my swing, by taking a shorter back swing, and making my feet not so wide, causing less body movement.  So far I've had good results, and it hasn't affected my distances.

Fail; there are too many faults to list them all.

I suggest that at least grammatically, you focus on just keeping your head steady and your eye on your ball.

And for the jackass comment yet again, I'd like to add that if ignorance is truly bliss, you're the happiest guy on these forums.

Originally Posted by mdl

Have any of y'all actually spent any time around lots of good athletes in golf or other racquet/bat sports?

Yes, I have.  And I don't believe anybody pretended they could tell within a very small margin for error window.

There is a significant difference in what you see, even on videos. The speed difference is like watching a car moving 60 and one traveling 80. It is relatively easy to see. in the case of a golf swing, the amount of shaft flex is very perceptible as well.

Precisely.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 3902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!