IGNORED

PING EYE 2 IRONS

Note: This thread is 3545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First let me say I own two full sets of PING EYE 2 irons and one is the Beryllium Copper I use today. Best irons ever made even today. But today I was at a driving range which I occasionally go to in Calera OK just north of the Red River. The man who owns and runs the pace is an official Ping Dealer. His wife was in the shop today instead of him, but while in there I got the SHOCK of my life. Right next to the counter was a rack with 3 Brand Spanking New PING EYE 2 Sand Wedges. A Black, White, and Green dot. I pulled one to look because I could not believe my eyes. They look legit with PING Sticker matching with the serial number and PING grips. I quizzed his wife about it and she said he just got them in from PING. Now for the real Shocker; she said he can now get full sets of BRAND NEW PING EYE 2 irons. She said no Beryllium Copper, but standard steel. Can this be true? Is PING re-releasing the line? The one I looked at has the classic square grooves. I know folks who would pay a $1000 for a set of 3-SW of original Ping Eye 2. Heck with that I know people who would pay several thousand for a brand new set of originals.

A golf shop clubfitter told me that Ping has the molds for most of its past iron models, and will make you a set of a vintage model for a premium price.

I would contact Ping and ask for details.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ping recently rereleased the old Eye 2 wedges with the newer groove style. I looked at them when I was purchasing new wedges, but settled on the Tour S Rustique ones I currently own. I can't vouch for the fact that they are willing to make entire iron sets, but I know the wedges were on the market a year or two ago.

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

Ping recently rereleased the old Eye 2 wedges with the newer groove style

That is possible. I did look closely at the club face. I did not have one of my originals to look side by side, but it sure looked like the same spacing, depth, and square groves. Now with that said I have sent on eof my original sets in to be re shafted and when the came back it was obvious they regroved/refaced the clubface ss they looked brand new and spun the ball like a brand new set. Is it possible they are re-releasing the Eye 2 with new conforming groves? Not sure how well that would go over since it was the groves that made the things so deadly and easy to hit.

I contacted PING about buying older clubs and they told me if it's on their site listed as "available" it can be ordered from a PING retailer. They told me I could order new G2's and that's an older model. I talked to a guy at Golfsmith and he confirmed it could be ordered. I was surprised considering it was about the same as what I'd seen on-line for a used club.

Dave :-)

I contacted PING about buying older clubs and they told me if it's on their site listed as "available" it can be ordered from a PING retailer.

Interesting I looked at PING's website and all the Eye 2's are on there. It is the AVAIALBLE part I cannot determine. The G2 along with the EYE 2 are in the Classic Line up. If they can still be ordered I would do it in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by dereckbc

Is it possible they are re-releasing the Eye 2 with new conforming groves? Not sure how well that would go over since it was the groves that made the things so deadly and easy to hit.

That's part of what disappointed me when I tried them. I bought my Eye 2's lightly used, but the spin was still pretty nice on the sand wedge I got. I'm still hanging on to the irons with my non-conforming grooves for a while longer, at least until I buy a new set of irons.

My bag:

I bought my Eye 2's lightly used, but the spin was still pretty nice on the sand wedge I got. I'm still hanging on to the irons with my non-conforming grooves for a while longer, at least until I buy a new set of irons.

Take this advice from experience, send your irons into PING to be restored. I sent mine in for shafts and grips. They came back with with factory spec lie angle and club face. I promise they will be just like new again, even with new paint. Other than the deep scratches on the sole and leading edge, they will be like new again. If memory serves me correctly if a head is too far gone they will replace it with a new one. I know they still have the club heads for replacements, I just do not know if you can still order a set.

Just came across a set on Craigslist for $275. Can't believe someone would be selling them for that cheap. They clearly don't know what they have.

Tyler Martin

Interesting I looked at PING's website and all the Eye 2's are on there. It is the AVAIALBLE part I cannot determine. The G2 along with the EYE 2 are in the Classic Line up. If they can still be ordered I would do it in a heartbeat.

Shoot them an email. When I asked about the G2 I had an answer in a few hours.

Dave :-)

Just came across a set on Craigslist for $275. Can't believe someone would be selling them for that cheap. They clearly don't know what they have.

I can only assume they are in horrible shape or they are ignorant.

Are the beryllium ones the only ones worth a lot?

Yes Sir they are. It was the last Ping Eye 2 model Ping made and to this day is the most popular club in terms of numbers sold. It was also the straw that broke the camels back when the PGA and USGA sued Karsten Golf. Case never went to court and was settled out of court. The whole thing really hacked off the golfing public and I never really understand how the USGA and PGA could file suit over a golf club. What is really sad it meant PING went from the #1 club manufacture to just in the middle of the pack. Anyway the Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper was and is the best irons ever made even to this day. The mass is greater than steel and because of that can transfer more energy into a golf ball. It is also very resilient and does not deform with repeated stress and impacts.

Yes Sir they are. It was the last Ping Eye 2 model Ping made and to this day is the most popular club in terms of numbers sold. It was also the straw that broke the camels back when the PGA and USGA sued Karsten Golf. Case never went to court and was settled out of court.

The whole thing really hacked off the golfing public and I never really understand how the USGA and PGA could file suit over a golf club. What is really sad it meant PING went from the #1 club manufacture to just in the middle of the pack.

Anyway the Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper was and is the best irons ever made even to this day. The mass is greater than steel and because of that can transfer more energy into a golf ball. It is also very resilient and does not deform with repeated stress and impacts.

The real reason that Copper Beryllium irons are worth more is the simple fact that they aren't made anymore. This is due to health hazards for the people working in the plant (so don't worry, hitting them isn't dangerous) and something to do with the fact that beryllium dust is not fun to inhale.

My bag:

• 8 months later...
Dear dereckbc,
I found your posting during my Googling.
Let me introduce myself to you. I am Won-chul LEE and live in South Korea now.
I got a brand new set of original PING EYE 2 Beryllium Copper (not PLUS) iron set in South Korea now.
You wrote that you know people who would buy new PING EYE original iron set,
so I like to ask you to let me know the contact.
My Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper black dot is 9 iron set - 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,W,and S.
And it is not PLUS model.
It is perfect brand new which didn't eat dirt, nor hit any.
I removed the shrink seals from iron heads for picture taking.
Iron has got the Korean government's custom-paid stamps on several shafts.
Iron set has PINGMAN double diamond grips- PING and PING MAN in gold, while diamonds in white.
And it comes with ZZ-Lite shaft with matching serial number of 240845A.
Also I took off the plastic from the grip for the picture which I will put back on.
And one Ping grip has a stamp on it, which read - This is tarnished PING head ...
I hope this message would bring a good news to PING mania through you.
Thank you and regards,
Won-chul LEE
chully1@gmail.com
South KOREA

Originally Posted by chully

Dear dereckbc,

I got a brand new set of original PING EYE 2 Beryllium Copper (not PLUS) iron set in South Korea now.

My Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper black dot is 9 iron set - 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,W,and S.

Iron set has PINGMAN double diamond grips-PING and PING MAN in gold, while diamonds in white.

Also I took off the plastic from the grip for the picture which I will put back on.

And one Ping grip has a stamp on it, which read - This is tarnished PING head ...

Thank you and regards,

Won-chul LEE

chully1@gmail.com

South KOREA

...  Interesting

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Originally Posted by chully

Dear dereckbc,

I got a brand new set of original PING EYE 2 Beryllium Copper (not PLUS) iron set in South Korea now.

My Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper black dot is 9 iron set - 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,W,and S.

Iron set has PINGMAN double diamond grips-PING and PING MAN in gold, while diamonds in white.

Thank you and regards,

Won-chul LEE

chully1@gmail.com

South KOREA

So many questions/comments. Where to start...?

Tyler Martin

Note: This thread is 3545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!